IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2010, 09:15 PM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point
Q&A with Frank Schilling: IDN Success Stories to Come

Frank sat down and spoke about IDNs . . . http://idnblog.com/2010/09/28/exclus...ank-schilling/
Old 28th September 2010, 11:15 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Q&A with Frank Schilling: IDN Success Stories to Come

I got to say, I always find myself feasting on Franks words.

It is a very unique set of skills to be able to combine humor, rationale, razor sharp wit and down to earth no BS straight talking.

You see others try it, and they end up either not capturing your interest and boring you to tears, or having to resort to a litter of 4-letter words to get the shock & awe their content should be delivering.
Old 28th September 2010, 11:22 PM

has2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished road

Great interview.

Thanks for producing.
Old 29th September 2010, 12:25 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Very nice interview. Schilling is a class guy.
Shame he is too busy to dive into a few IDNs his interest alone could rock the market.
Old 29th September 2010, 05:00 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

He is right about 1 thing. The Number domains are really undervalued.
but the rest just doesn't make sense.

Q: Your company, NAmedia owns one of the top domain portfolios including many foreign names such as gatos.com (“cats” in Spanish) and anillos.com (“rings” in Spanish).

When and why did you decide to start buying non-English domain names?

A: I paid several million dollars to acquire a portfolio of stellar foreign names from a smaller legacy domainer It was a very good purchase in hindsight.

Q: Have you purchased any IDNs? If so, can you give us examples of IDNs that you owned or currently own?

A: I didn’t have the foresight or patience to focus on IDN’s . The achilles heel of IDN’s is that they are not global. I will not type Farsi, and a Russian will not type Chinese, etc.. but all will type English and Numbers.

I don't know any Russians that will type in anillos.com when looking for rings or gatos.com when looking for cats unless they are clicking on a link. Don't see the Persians doing it either nor the Chinese. So what's the point?
Can someone point out where is the global part of his ascii spanish portfollio?

The very existence of an IDN domain is to closer target the local markets, its not supposed to be global.

I don't have a doubt in my mind that if he is as good as people say he is and the way he carries himself he knows that it is an opportunity nonetheless. I just don't believe that he doesn't own a IDN.

Q: What projects and opportunities can we expect to see you involved in next?

A: I always joked that my business style was that of a one-trick pony – but it’s a very good trick. Well this old pony still has a few tricks in it....

Silly Franky, tricks are for kids.
Old 29th September 2010, 06:32 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
I got to say, I always find myself feasting on Franks words.

It is a very unique set of skills to be able to combine humor, rationale, razor sharp wit and down to earth no BS straight talking.

You see others try it, and they end up either not capturing your interest and boring you to tears, or having to resort to a litter of 4-letter words to get the shock & awe their content should be delivering.
Interesting, it is not just IDN Franky is getting up to speed on. He is clearly no longer in denial about the parlous state of the US economy.
Old 29th September 2010, 07:04 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Interesting, it is not just IDN Franky is getting up to speed on. He is clearly no longer in denial about the parlous state of the US economy.
BINGO.
Old 29th September 2010, 07:52 AM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
BINGO.
CHECK!
Old 29th September 2010, 08:26 AM

abe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished roadabe is on a distinguished road

Excellent interview. I am wondering if (during or after the interview) someone pointed out to him that this is actually not the achilles heel of IDN’s.

There is enough proof that he is wrong about this. This would have been a great opportunity to open a dialogue with him and possibly pass some more information, that would change his perception on IDN's.

[QUOTE= The achilles heel of IDN’s is that they are not global. I will not type Farsi, and a Russian will not type Chinese, etc.. but all will type English and Numbers.]
Old 29th September 2010, 08:28 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
Can someone point out where is the global part of his ascii spanish portfollio?
... or even the English one. English and Spanish names get international traffic because there are native speakers in more than one country. That's about it. It's not like any German would ever type-in freecreditreport.com.

English dotComs are great because they serve the needs of a large domestic (and a smaller international) market but they are certainly not global.

If any Japanese online business should ever care about type-ins from Iran they should get the Farsi name, not the English one.

Last edited by bumblebee man; 29th September 2010 at 08:32 AM..
Old 30th September 2010, 05:18 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
Q: Have you purchased any IDNs? If so, can you give us examples of IDNs that you owned or currently own?

A: I didn’t have the foresight or patience to focus on IDN’s . The achilles heel of IDN’s is that they are not global. I will not type Farsi, and a Russian will not type Chinese, etc.. but all will type English and Numbers.

While this was not an outright lie, it was IMO a deceptive and ambiguously dishonest answer. I have personally visited IDNs that are parked on Frank's platform.

Last edited by jacksonm; 30th September 2010 at 05:22 PM..
Old 30th September 2010, 05:25 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm View Post
While this was not an outright lie, it was IMO a deceptive and ambiguously dishonest answer. I have personally visited IDNs that are parked on Frank's platform.
Interesting.....do you have a few examples??
If he was discreetly buying IDNs that would be....lets just say....very interesting.
Old 30th September 2010, 05:34 PM

jacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished roadjacksonm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jacksonm Send a message via Skype™ to jacksonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Interesting.....do you have a few examples??
If he was discreetly buying IDNs that would be....lets just say....very interesting.

I'll have to dig for them, but they were spanish for sure.
Old 30th September 2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonm View Post
I'll have to dig for them, but they were spanish for sure.
Wouldn't it be ironic if when he bought his Spanish portfolio he got some IDNs and didn't even know it. :p

Geez, with his tens of thousands of names he might not have even noticed. If that was the case...wouldn't that be a hoot.