IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2006, 08:39 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point
火かき棒 - How not to register an IDN

This was the very first IDN I registered (a few months ago now), and a classic example of how NOT to register an IDN.

I entered 'poker' into the Google translator, selected Japanese, and it spat out
'火かき棒'.

I knew nothing about cross checking your term with multiple dictionaries, entering it into Google inbetween " " to get an accurate page result, searching Google images, or OVT scores. Man, have I learnt a lot since then

I also figured at the time that .jp registration was the way to go, and around my first 40 IDN's were all reg'ged for the hefty price of $30 US each (hefty in comparison to a .com for $6.99).

So, when I finally came across Jim Breen's excellent Japanese translation site, I found that this term I had assumed meant the card game poker, actually translated as a poker you use in an open fire...D'oh!!! (to quote Homer)

So all you newbie IDN'ers take note - and research some of the threads here on this site before blowing too much $$$. There is a wealth of information here by a bunch of really great domainers who are genuinely willing to help you!

As an aside though, I had not bothered even looking at it again until today, when I decided to stick it into Yahoo Japan.

In my surprise I found a mixture of sites (very low page return though), and some of them were poker gambling sites.

So this is my question to our resident Japanese linguists - is this a word with a genuine dual meaning?

Or are the results I get from a few gambling sites who have optimised their SEO to get a ranking for this term when some dumb westerner thinks they are searching for genuine poker sites?

Thanks for any thoughts....

Last edited by seamo; 9th May 2006 at 09:00 AM..
Old 9th May 2006, 09:25 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: 火かき棒 - How not to register an IDN

Automatic really bad translations from nonJapanese site owners. Do not think otherwise...
Old 9th May 2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
Automatic really bad translations from nonJapanese site owners. Do not think otherwise...
Thanks olney...one to consign to the IDN grave!
Old 9th May 2006, 09:38 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Unless you find a reseller for Poker sticks.
But truthfully I think you are much creditted on here for admitting incorrect translations & even letting others learn from it.
Many would still try to dump it off on someone..
Old 9th May 2006, 09:41 AM

Thanks!
Old 9th May 2006, 12:02 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

There must be 1,000,000's of fireplaces in homes in Japan...or sell it to one of the "poker" companies....when IE7 get rolling they may love to own this term, maybe just for expatiates looking of poker sites with their translators! I just looked at google.cn, there must be 30 poker companies competing for attention here.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 9th May 2006 at 12:06 PM..
Old 9th May 2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
There must be 1,000,000's of fireplaces in homes in Japan...or sell it to one of the "poker" companies....when IE7 get rolling they may love to own this term, maybe just for expatiates looking of poker sites with their translators! I just looked at google.cn, there must be 30 poker companies competing for attention here.
Thanks bwhhisc - maybe a Japanese open-fire company might be interested?

An even cooler thing I noticed is that IDNFORUMS is the fourth search result on the page, linking to this thread:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2339...-japanese.html

Wow Olney - what an unexpeted place to find your site!

火かき棒.tv....it seems I'm not the only one who's poked himself in the eye with a pointy stick!