IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2010, 12:15 AM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point
Michael "Moshe" Schneider Exclusive Interview

This is one of those inspirational interviews that is a must read from one of IDNF's best . . .

http://idnblog.com/2010/10/14/blockb...moshe-michael/
Old 14th October 2010, 12:20 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: Michael "Moshe" Schneider Exclusive Interview

Old 14th October 2010, 12:44 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

cool....
congrats..Moshe...Aaron...

s/
Old 14th October 2010, 02:42 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Great article.
Old 14th October 2010, 03:03 AM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice - I think it's the first objective, totally non-argumentative interview about IDN investing I've seen. You need cool-headed smart folks on BOTH sides of the virtual interview table, and I can't recall it going like this before. Ever.
Old 14th October 2010, 05:01 AM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point

Another great interview all around, excellent job!
Old 14th October 2010, 09:15 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Nice one. Thanks, Michael and Aaron!
Old 14th October 2010, 10:37 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Thank you Aaron and everyone for the kind words.
Old 14th October 2010, 10:56 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent interview - very encouraging.
Old 14th October 2010, 11:12 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

A very interesting read - thanks to all involved.

Old 14th October 2010, 11:53 AM

sprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this pointsprewellpj is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks -- but Michael deserves all the credit for this one.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:24 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw View Post
Nice - I think it's the first objective, totally non-argumentative interview about IDN investing I've seen. You need cool-headed smart folks on BOTH sides of the virtual interview table, and I can't recall it going like this before. Ever.
"objective"?? i wall street language its called - "talking your book"...
Old 14th October 2010, 02:10 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
"objective"??
Can you point me to what part you feel is not an objective factual opinion and nothing to do with personal interest, thoughts or wishes?
Old 14th October 2010, 02:32 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
Can you point me to what part you feel is not an objective factual opinion and nothing to do with personal interest, thoughts or wishes?
let me first mention that I am a believer in IDNs. I am new to domain community in general. Having said that, one thinig i am definitely noiticing a lot of with domainers is that few at best (in none) ever mention any risks associated with thier investments/ideas. IDNs in my mind are very risky and you know those risks better than me as i am a novice in this space. But, to call this paragraph below objective - I am having difficult time:

"I am certain some already are realizing they should not ignore IDN’s assuming they don’t want to miss on the biggest opportunity domains had to offer since their existence.

IDN’s offer even more than what the early days offered for English domains as very few then knew where things are going, while today it is clear what a quality generic domain is and it is also established that a top tier generic domain has significant value. "

You think more people know today where IDNs are going? THe main IDNs markets, which is Russia and China in my mind, are very fragile from my opinion. I am a trader and am involved with emerging markets on a daily basis (plus Russian by birth) - to expect similar traffic + consumer activity from Russians in particular especially when it comes to web as it was the case with American/English consumers is absurd!! Interenet penetration is much lower, consumers are uneducated at best and the purchasing power is no where near that of the Western consumer.

my 2 cents...
Old 14th October 2010, 03:57 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

@Emil

Just to chime in with my 2cents

Risk is an interesting topic for sure, and will be something we will aim to cover in NYC

The thing with Risk is it is very personal.

I know people on this forum who fall into these 3 very different categories:

a) they buy and sell, and stay cost neutral

b) they buy and never sell and run up debt/loss

c) they buy and sell with an aim of making marginal profit now

Each one of these has varying degrees of risk, and there is no right strategy - only what is right for you - but as I said, it is down to the individual to manage that risk, and as long as they are not consciously being reckless, then all is good.

When you break it down to language like you have, there are other factors..

You mention that you have assessed that Russia & China are prime targets, but that they are emerging markets, therefore there is a risk attached.. risk maybe, but you have to look at the flipside and weight up the size of the prize (population etc) - emerging markets means to me bigger risk/bigger prize.

The list is of course longer than that, I would add Japan to that list, they already have an established market, with a very high internet penetration; but then there are other risks here, like the assumption that IDN will replace the status quo. The same goes for Israel and Thailand, and so on.

Michael is clearly passionate about IDN, and clearly has invested heavily, but knowing Michael as well as I do, there is no intention to say there is no risk at all - it's all about a managed level of risk in perspective to the reward.

The point being made is that there are few opportunities today that have the potential for such a large prize, considering the risks.

This risk/reward position today is not a lot different to the 1990's when different risks were at play for early English domainers.

In the example I gave, to be clear.. no one is saying IDN will 100% replace the status quo - in fact, if you start playing with the numbers, only a conservative <10% take up, produces some staggering numbers, and considering what little some people have invested, the risk becomes insignificant compared to the reward.

The risk and reward is of course scaleable, so a 6 fig purchase to person a, can carry the same "risk" as a $100 purchase for person b - it's all relative.

By the way, you may consider me an IDN fanboy, but I can assure you I have a clear head, and have spent years mulling this over.
Old 14th October 2010, 05:06 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post

Just to chime in with my 2cents
Wouldn't that be 2pence?

Well stated. Regardless of what level you are playing or what model you are following the public comments I always find comical are the "wow, that was purchased cheap!". Whether an acquisition is $500, $5000 or $500,000 it always seems cheap until it's your money.
Old 14th October 2010, 05:38 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Emil, I think you have a good point, objective was not the right choice of words. Everything comes down to perspective. The IDN ideology dispensed by many here, and in that interview specifically aligns perfectly with my own belief system, and I was therefore too quick to claim it was objective.

And of course, risk is a topic that is always important when talking about any investment. Alpha - terrific job elaborating on it, although the topic is huge.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:05 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Wouldn't that be 2pence?
actually it would be 0.0125099 pence, but it doesn't have the same ring to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
..the public comments I always find comical are the "wow, that was purchased cheap!". Whether an acquisition is $500, $5000 or $500,000 it always seems cheap until it's your money.
Not just on the acquiring side, but the selling side too - "too cheap" is too easy to say, but the feeling of making $ is real nice; and profit is profit as they say.
Old 15th October 2010, 06:42 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

Things changes pretty fast Emil.... China is an up and coming economic tide that will make those that cast their feet in their shallow waters rich. Look at Apple.. They are going to combat the counterfeit market and market their products heavily in China. Look at the deals they are going to start to do with Chinese mobile networks.

Also it costs more money in upscale areas to start a business than the $100,000 you may pay for a top tier domain... I'm sure it will be similar in the best areas in China. If not you'll eventually be priced out anyway. I'm a Manhattan RE broker... If you can get a top tier domain for $50-60k grab it... On busy avenues in Manhattan you will have you pay five figures a month in rent just for ground floor retail and your floor space is pretty limited. Much retail is around 1000-1500 sf... That doesn't include construction costs that usually also end up costing a pretty penny at the beginning of a lease. That doesn't include overhead, stock and everything else... Once you pay for the domain it is yours. You just have to pay for a dedicated server and develop the site. It costs less to advertise it on adwords.

Think of the amount put down as the fixed cost... Once you overcome that your other costs are variable. Foot traffic to your place isn't endless but to your website you can get much more traffic for less. If you sell to the same number of people you won't have that rent to pay and more in your pocket.

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 15th October 2010 at 06:47 AM..