IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2010, 01:04 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
.co is a typo of .com?

It appears that most of the "good" dot-co names have already
>been snatched up by name resellers of course, and I've been
>getting notes from confused people assuming that when they see
>".co" on a domain name it's actually a typo meant to be ".com" ...

http://gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/.../msg04381.html

From the comments here: http://thenextweb.com/us/2010/11/13/...=direct-tnw.to

How will we say it? dot-koh or dot-see-oh? I vote for dot-see-oh, kind of rolls of the tongue.

I think .co is far too similar to .com and will just cause confusion, I’d presume they meant .com if I saw the address written down.

Last edited by 555; 16th November 2010 at 01:07 PM..
Old 16th November 2010, 01:21 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
Re: .co is a typo of .com?

Kinda like .cm

Now lets wait for .om

Maybe later... .coom (to catch the typos for .coop and .com)

Last edited by idnowner; 16th November 2010 at 01:22 PM..
Old 16th November 2010, 02:38 PM

emjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

.com is not .co. One has the "m" the other doesn't. Wow, that made me sweat. So now you know we have two... .co and .com.
Old 16th November 2010, 02:42 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

The domaining business didn't need this.

This gives reason to mainstream media about some fuzzy business on the domaining world.
Old 16th November 2010, 03:18 PM

.co has been in the news almost every day for 4 months now. They have a very serious company, are well-promoted and a great future ahead. there is no fuzzy business here. .co existed since 1991 and now has become public, finally. Some of us have been waiting for 15 years.
Old 16th November 2010, 04:08 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjohn View Post
.co has been in the news almost every day for 4 months now. They have a very serious company, are well-promoted and a great future ahead. there is no fuzzy business here. .co existed since 1991 and now has become public, finally. Some of us have been waiting for 15 years.
You mean... .co being a TYPO of .com doesn't have anything to do with their success? I rest my case.

You see, your Honor, I am big fan of the amazon river, that's why I got this amazon.co domain name...
Old 16th November 2010, 04:19 PM

.co has meant 'company" for the past 500 years, long before the internet was even around. I rest MY case that it is not a typo, if anything .com is an extension of .co as we can assume that creation of 2 letters comes before 3.

Not that I want to educate you but all top 100 Deloitte companies have their .co's including Amazon. Yep that's right. So there is no "your honor" business. The .co registry has been very diligent about addressing possible TM problems. Oh, by the way, Amazon as representation for the body of water has been around hundreds of years before the company. You make it sound as if the body of water was named after the company...LOL
Old 16th November 2010, 05:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
.co has meant 'company" for the past 500 years, long before the internet was even around. I rest MY case that it is not a typo, if anything .com is an extension of .co as we can assume that creation of 2 letters comes before 3.
You see, a domain names is something you use on a browser, the web, the Internet. I couldn't care less of what used to be 500 years ago, lol.
So the .co is a typo of .com? lol

1 for me

Quote:
Not that I want to educate you but all top 100 Deloitte companies have their .co's including Amazon. Yep that's right. So there is no "your honor" business. The .co registry has been very diligent about addressing possible TM problems.
Right, that's why I own 2 of the top 100!

2 for me

Quote:
Oh, by the way, Amazon as representation for the body of water has been around hundreds of years before the company. You make it sound as if the body of water was named after the company...LOL
Go to Google and type Amazon. Amazon is a store, end of story. Couldn't care less, again, about what has been around for hundreds of years.

3 for me
Old 16th November 2010, 05:43 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Of course .co is typo of .com. That doesn't mean that .co doesn't mean anything - it means a hell of a lot more than .mobi. But whenever a .co receives type-in traffic this is because someone forgot to add an "m" or maybe ".uk".

But this kind of typo traffic is a double-edged sword. People could just as well accidently type .com instead of .co. I guess a developed .co might be losing more traffic that way than it is gaining. That's why most serious people wouldn't put their business on a .co. In the end 99% will be parking pages and Google will punish that.
Old 16th November 2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
You see, a domain names is something you use on a browser, the web, the Internet. I couldn't care less of what used to be 500 years ago, lol.
So the .co is a typo of .com? lol

1 for me

" Everybody (perhaps not "special" you) understands that co has stood for company for the last 500 years. The meaning is that co is well ingrained in the minds of people. This history was brought into the internet and we still acknowledge it, over the internet. The abbreviation "co" came before the computer and now is used on the computer.

minus 1 of your IQ points."

Right, that's why I own 2 of the top 100!

"Expect to get a WIPO letter quite soon for the two you own, if that is indeed the case. Your lucky if you don't get sued for money you don't or will not ever have.

minus 2 of your IQ points."

Go to Google and type Amazon. Amazon is a store, end of story. Couldn't care less, again, about what has been around for hundreds of years.

"Dude, you need some dictionary lessons and a bit of a history lesson. You still think the magic fairy came out with company words like Amazon? Maybe you could spent a little less time in front of the computer and more in the real world.
minus your 3 IQ points."
Old 16th November 2010, 07:17 PM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point

my .tel is someday going to come of age.
Old 16th November 2010, 07:43 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps View Post
my .tel is someday going to come of age.
or die of old age. :p
Old 17th November 2010, 01:06 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

I have 9 .co and I have lost count of the times I have typed .com while accessing them. I do not remember ever typing .co when I meant .com.

The .co I have are quite good keywords and traffic is around zero.
Old 17th November 2010, 04:53 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

The one year mark of the aftermarket will tell the tale.
Tens of thousands of drops...since holders will not want to pay $30 / year again,
when the PPC and the type in traffic is absent.

.com is simply global
.co is Colombia for the locals and and dot co dot uk/il/jp/ .....

.co certainly is not a typo for a dot co dot uk ...

s/
Old 17th November 2010, 05:23 AM

lipps is an unknown quantity at this point

ergomonicly speaking as a health care worker, "cm" is the more frequent typo for com
Its very infrequent to miss the m in com as it is an ending letter as well as typed using one of the stronger fingers on the hand.
But i am sure it happens
Old 17th November 2010, 01:49 PM

Of course it happens. Just as I meant to type .co and typed .com. But the .co registry, of course, never marketed it as a typo. It is marketed as a "company" extension, mostly for business. .co is a completely different enterprise from .com, one letter difference or however many.

Snapnames will be auctioning "i.co" off next week. It is one of the best short domains around, period. Some say it may fetch $1,000,000. We'll see.
Old 17th November 2010, 02:55 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

What's the current top $ paid for a .co? 350k was paid for o.co, and imo i.co will sell for less, for reasons we don't have to go into as it is highly unlikely we can agree on them.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:32 PM

e.co went for something like $81000. After that Mesothelioma sold for $76000. There have been tons of sales in the $2000-$7000 range.

We'll wait and see what i.co goes for. It won't be sold for less than $100000. The registry has set it up that way.
Old 18th November 2010, 01:15 PM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
What's the current top $ paid for a .co? 350k was paid for o.co, and imo i.co will sell for less
I agree. Ultimately I think the .co hype will last longer than the .mobi fad. And it might even get a little traction. Personally, it is of no interest to me. Then again either are Nik shoes, Arman clothing or Role watches.
Old 18th November 2010, 01:25 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Personally, it is of no interest to me. Then again either are Nik shoes, Arman clothing or Role watches.
:D