IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > IDN Domain Appraisals

IDN Domain Appraisals Appraisals by other members on International domain names.

View Poll Results: What do you think the value of idn.ком will be compared to idn.рф?
The value of idn.ком will be more than idn.рф 13 35.14%
The value of idn.ком will be about the same as idn.рф 5 13.51%
The value of idn.ком will be about 50% of idn.рф 6 16.22%
The value of idn.ком will be about 25% of idn.рф 8 21.62%
The value of idn.ком will be about 10% of idn.рф 5 13.51%
idn.ком will have little to no value 0 0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2010, 12:48 AM

Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Value of .рф versus the value .ком

This may be a little premature, but I am curious of the forum's opinion. Apologize ahead of time if your perfect choice is not listed.

Last edited by idn; 17th November 2010 at 01:00 AM..
Old 17th November 2010, 01:34 AM

phio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this pointphio is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Value of .рф versus the value .ком

For cities, regions and banned words, The value of idn.ком will be more than idn.рф...obviously
Old 17th November 2010, 01:56 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by phio View Post
For cities, regions and banned words, The value of idn.ком will be more than idn.рф...obviously
There's also the wild cards. Domains that have been reserved by the registry to be used for other purposes. And many decent to great generics that were registered under the guise of a Russian "trademark" application that no one had a chance to register. To get a .kom you never had a chance to get in .rf will not hurt your business or a consumer's ability to remember it.

I also think there are many variables.

Last edited by sarcle; 17th November 2010 at 01:57 AM..
Old 17th November 2010, 02:23 AM

idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if single letters are reserved?
Old 17th November 2010, 02:32 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn View Post
Does anyone know if single letters are reserved?
Looks like they are.

3.3.2.1. минимальная длина доменного имени составляет 2 символа (без учета символов «.РФ»). Максимальная длина доменного имени определяется длиной представления. Длина представления не должна превышать 63 символа (без учета символов «.РФ»);

http://www.cctld.ru/ru/docs/rulesrf.php
Old 17th November 2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
Looks like they are.

3.3.2.1. минимальная длина доменного имени составляет 2 символа (без учета символов «.РФ»). Максимальная длина доменного имени определяется длиной представления. Длина представления не должна превышать 63 символа (без учета символов «.РФ»);

http://www.cctld.ru/ru/docs/rulesrf.php
Thanks, DKG
Old 17th November 2010, 03:18 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

So far, 30% think it will be worth more, 70% same or below

Last edited by jose; 17th November 2010 at 03:19 AM..
Old 17th November 2010, 07:07 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks, DKG
DKG, I like it. Now we have a DNG and DKG
Old 17th November 2010, 08:42 AM

Teo is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to say that you never know what will going to happen with your .рф. domain.

For me is a risky business. One day you will have it , on the next day they can change the rules and you can lost it because you have some improper material.

For me .ком is more secure.
Old 17th November 2010, 09:13 AM

Fka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enoughFka200 will become famous soon enough

Go with what you know you will still own the next morning (assuming you continuously renew )
Old 17th November 2010, 02:41 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fka200 View Post
Go with what you know you will still own the next morning (assuming you continuously renew )
I agree, but that isn't what the poll is asking.

For investors, .ком is more attractive. But the price difference (if any) between .ком and .рф will be driven by end users, most of whom live in Russia. They have already figured out how to run their businesses in Russia, so they may not be as bothered as we are by the uncertainty surrounding .рф domains.

Avtal
Old 17th November 2010, 03:09 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
I agree, but that isn't what the poll is asking.

For investors, .ком is more attractive. But the price difference (if any) between .ком and .рф will be driven by end users, most of whom live in Russia. They have already figured out how to run their businesses in Russia, so they may not be as bothered as we are by the uncertainty surrounding .рф domains.

Avtal
True, there was a huge amount of uncertainty with .ru as well, but most Russians didn't seem to care.

I'd guess around 25% with a few exeptions (the ones you cant get in .рф).
Old 17th November 2010, 04:56 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
True, there was a huge amount of uncertainty with .ru as well, but most Russians didn't seem to care.
that's because there wasn't any alternative.
.ru was the most russian you could get back then.

The Russian people are hungry for russian domains,
at 10$ a pop, first come first served basis, no auction BS, + guarantee that you won't lose your domain, goodwill and incoming mails overnight on some shady tax evasion/morality/TM/national interest/you-name-it issue, .ком will find some takers.

But at the end of the day, traffic is king :p
What will the Russians/Kazakhs/Ukrainians type-in ? I don't know.

Will international brands use .рф and redirect .ком ? don't know

Will the "Russian Internet Police" park at Sedo or Namedrive ? don't know

One thing that is fo shizzle is that the longer verisign waits, the steeper the hill.
Old 17th November 2010, 05:34 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Well, it is very slow but the dot RU registery already seems to be contracting.
Old 17th November 2010, 05:43 PM

Teo is an unknown quantity at this point

squirrel - very good point about the other russian speaking countries. For me .ком will be the king in that case and .ком always will be over nationality domain.

Last edited by Teo; 17th November 2010 at 05:51 PM..
Old 17th November 2010, 05:45 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

25%
Old 17th November 2010, 06:39 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Demand is so high, you'll see good prices.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 17th November 2010 at 06:49 PM..
Old 18th November 2010, 12:43 AM

I'm utterly shocked that 12 people said worth more. The only educated conclusion I can come up with is you all believe that government corruption will significantly devalue the .rf. I realize it is all a matter of opinion, but I think many of you are eternal optimists!
Old 18th November 2010, 12:57 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy

The big corporations may just hold their .рф and not develop it... may just hold out for an offer........... Ya know all the shell companies registering the names
Old 18th November 2010, 01:06 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm utterly shocked that 12 people said worth more. The only educated conclusion I can come up with is you all believe that government corruption will significantly devalue the .rf. I realize it is all a matter of opinion, but I think many of you are eternal optimists!
While corruption is something many in Russia embrace, risk is something everyone tries to avoid.

Many major Russian companies are in fact incorporated in off-shore countries. Why? To get away from the risk of property confication. Exactly the same reason why one would want to avoid operating a website .РФ. Example: domain owner is responsible for all user content on domain (no operator safe harbor laws).

The excitement is about IDN.IDN, and the only choice available right now is IDN.РФ. If .КОМ was on offer today, you'd see a different picture as well.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 18th November 2010 at 01:09 AM..