IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2010, 04:38 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Thanks for nothing ICANN

For continuing to allow the spread of confusion by some of your registrars which are in some cases accredited registrars and that official ICANN seal sure doesn't help consumers understand that the "domains" they are buying are not really a part of the global DNS.

With every wave of news they come out with new BS.
http://pr.cnews.ru/pr_body.shtml?cid...10/11/17/84899
Old 17th November 2010, 04:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Thanks for nothing ICANN

I don't see the problem. These will be legitimate subdomains of Dot RF. Nothing new here as far as I can see, except the stupidity of the National Registry for releasing these in the first place and cut of a potentially lucrative future revenue stream for themselves. This really is outside ICANNs remit.
Old 17th November 2010, 04:54 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

I confused them and regtime for a moment and was quick to post only as this is a sensitive subject for me, i met several people who invested thousands and could not get visitors thanks to these plug in "domains".

Except the bad example i chose, the rest hopefully will finally make someone at icann do something about it, because the fact regtime and domainthenet do that, is not helping sort anything out.
Old 17th November 2010, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

There could be an argument that those domains ned to be offered on a page that does not include the ICANN logo, since they're not subdomains offered by an ICANN approve REGISTRY, but rather a REGISTRAR extending a TLD they have no control over.

I would track down the person at ICANN that controls usage of their logo and ask them if they consider that to be outside the rules - if there are any!
Old 17th November 2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
I confused them and regtime for a moment and was quick to post only as this is a sensitive subject for me, i met several people who invested thousands and could not get visitors thanks to these plug in "domains".

Except the bad example i chose, the rest hopefully will finally make someone at icann do something about it, because the fact regtime and domainthenet do that, is not helping sort anything out.
But don't domainthenet do that at a different level - fake TLD's requiring a plugin?
Old 17th November 2010, 05:04 PM

Teo is an unknown quantity at this point

WTF - why those domains .КОМ.РФ, .НЕТ.РФ, .ОРГ.РФ are not offered in Russia but they are offering from Ukrainian company?
Old 17th November 2010, 05:09 PM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

Doesn't Centralnic do this as well? After all, they're only selling subdomains of domains they already own and calling them "domain names"...
Old 17th November 2010, 05:16 PM

Teo is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh i get it, thank you Edwin.

LOL, this is the stupid thing i ever seen. But how is possible those names like КОМ, НЕТ, ORG... to be not reserved?
Old 17th November 2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Yes. This is exactly the same as Centralnic selling subdomains off us.com uk.com etc etc

http://www.centralnic.com/

The guys at UKRnames bought ком.рф нет.рф and орг.рф and are just selling subdomains.

One has to wonder how they managed to get all three without them going to auction! Oh wait... Trademarks.
Old 17th November 2010, 06:13 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teo View Post
WTF - why those domains .КОМ.РФ, .НЕТ.РФ, .ОРГ.РФ are not offered in Russia but they are offering from Ukrainian company?
The interesting thing is whether that actually breaks the rules and whether they will actually end up losing them. When it comes to proving that they had a position in Russia, things could get tricky. Unless they have a Russian subsiduary and can show they have paid russian taxes, I think they are going to get screwed over very soon.
Old 17th November 2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

I think in the end, this is not so bad. .kom gaining visibility.