IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:00 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
How many names do people have now and in what languages??

??
Old 2nd January 2006, 09:09 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo
Re: How many names do people have now and in what languages??

I am a small player with 55 names, french, spanish, german, russian, arabic, chinese and japanese.
Old 3rd January 2006, 02:08 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

12 IDNs, all Japanese (contrast to 3,000+ "regular" domains)
Old 3rd January 2006, 02:12 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

In Inds I have 400 now. Mostly Japanese and Russian.
Old 3rd January 2006, 01:18 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

We currently have about 2500, but plan to drop about a third this year in addition to about 100 we dropped last year. A domain is going to have to be very special to stay in the Chinese Domains Ltd Portfolio.

Languages in Order of Importance, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Russian, Hindi, Urdu, Bengla, Telegu, Thai, Punjabi, Kannada, Gujarati, Tamil, Marathi, Malayam.

Some of the smaller ones may not appear that interesting, but if you can get some of the top ten keywords by getting in just as soon as it is feasible, there is a good chance of a handsome payback.

As you aware there are quite a few players that have entered the market recently and many confide in me. I know of one investor that has picked up over 500 names in less than a couple of weeks.

My advice is to get what you can whilst it is available, but monitor your portfolios for deadwood, as we will all have some. If you end up with right portfolio, it doesn't really matter that much in the scheme of things if you drop upto 50% of your initial registrations, probably makes more sense than sitting on your hands.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 3rd January 2006, 02:54 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I know of one investor that has picked up over 500 names in less than a couple of weeks.
Wait a minute, bought or registered? If he can register 500 names in a couple of weeks, i'll take off my hat to him.
Old 3rd January 2006, 02:58 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Quote:
I know of one investor that has picked up over 500 names in less than a couple of weeks.
Wait a minute, bought or registered? If he can register 500 names in a couple of weeks, i'll take off my hat to him.
Undoubtedly both and serious resources are being thrown at the problem.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:42 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
We currently have about 2500, but plan to drop about a third this year in addition to about 100 we dropped last year. A domain is going to have to be very special to stay in the Chinese Domains Ltd Portfolio.

Languages in Order of Importance, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Russian, Hindi, Urdu, Bengla, Telegu, Thai, Punjabi, Kannada, Gujarati, Tamil, Marathi, Malayam.

Some of the smaller ones may not appear that interesting, but if you can get some of the top ten keywords by getting in just as soon as it is feasible, there is a good chance of a handsome payback.

As you aware there are quite a few players that have entered the market recently and many confide in me. I know of one investor that has picked up over 500 names in less than a couple of weeks.

My advice is to get what you can whilst it is available, but monitor your portfolios for deadwood, as we will all have some. If you end up with right portfolio, it doesn't really matter that much in the scheme of things if you drop upto 50% of your initial registrations, probably makes more sense than sitting on your hands.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
most of the arabic names i've found have between 10,000-200,000 or 400,000 results in google which doesn't seem like alot (most of the drops in the 200k range)
where are you doing arabic overture and what do you consider a good google for that language.
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:47 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no Arabic OVT, just use US OVT, i've got 165 names, 30+ of them are Arabic with US OVT ranging from 2000 to 85,000. 40% of my domains are major cities/country domains.
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:54 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff

most of the arabic names i've found have between 10,000-200,000 or 400,000 results in google which doesn't seem like alot (most of the drops in the 200k range)
where are you doing arabic overture and what do you consider a good google for that language.
Firstly, I think the primary measure of Arabic domains should be the US Overture Tool.
Good Arabic names show up well here and this measure is much more significant than Google.

We have Google Scores ranging beyond the 10 Million mark, but we also a domain with Google as low as 14K with Overture score in excess of 500.

Generally Overture starts to kick in around the 50K mark so if you are using Google as a criteria for initial appraisal of drops, then that is a sensible level.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 3rd January 2006, 03:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
There's no Arabic OVT, just use US OVT, i've got 165 names, 30+ of them are Arabic with US OVT ranging from 2000 to 85,000. 40% of my domains are major cities/country domains.
Sounds as though your best bet would be to get Touchring to email you his dot coms, I don't think he even bothers with dot net, so you might pick up a few crackers!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon
Old 3rd January 2006, 07:01 PM

What ovt and search rankings would ppl use for:

Hebrew
Chinese
Japanese
Russian
Korean
etc
Old 3rd January 2006, 07:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:

Hebrew
Chinese
Japanese
Russian
Korean
etc

Japanese and Korean both have their own Overture Tools. As these measure the local market directly, I would think 10K should be a reasonable baseline, but a lot depends on the market potential for the term. Overture bid tool should also be used in evaluation.

Where there is no Local Overture Tool things are much more difficult. None at all might be acceptable if you have a Commercially oriented keyword with sufficient Google to confirm that you have a term that is commonly used.

I personally don't do Hebrew but I suspect it is similar to Arabic and Russian, where you should use US Overture.

Simplified Chinese may be better addressed using searched keyword links in 3721.com until the Local Overture comes back online, although I am having a few problems with this as well. Don't know whether it is my system or their site. If you can get the search of terms on the right to come up with terms on the left, then the little figure in red at the top left is the one you are after. If it is 1200 then you have struck gold, less than 100 and you have struck out!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Old 3rd January 2006, 08:06 PM

how does 3721.com work
Old 3rd January 2006, 08:36 PM

a2zofb2b is an unknown quantity at this point

22 IDNs, all Indian Languages ( 13 Hindi, 7 Tamil , 2 Marathi) (contrast to 135 .co.in & .in domains and total of 300+ domains)
Old 3rd January 2006, 08:51 PM

I've been able to find every overture tool except the one for Korea ;-) .. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Old 3rd January 2006, 10:34 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Jeff

url variable setting is mkt=kr
Old 4th January 2006, 04:27 AM

variable say what?
Old 4th January 2006, 05:01 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Look at the top of the forum,
I made the site so it's actually useful...
Old 8th January 2006, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwrixon
Quote:

Hebrew
Chinese
Japanese
Russian
Korean
etc

Japanese and Korean both have their own Overture Tools. As these measure the local market directly, I would think 10K should be a reasonable baseline, but a lot depends on the market potential for the term. Overture bid tool should also be used in evaluation.

Where there is no Local Overture Tool things are much more difficult. None at all might be acceptable if you have a Commercially oriented keyword with sufficient Google to confirm that you have a term that is commonly used.

I personally don't do Hebrew but I suspect it is similar to Arabic and Russian, where you should use US Overture.

Simplified Chinese may be better addressed using searched keyword links in 3721.com until the Local Overture comes back online, although I am having a few problems with this as well. Don't know whether it is my system or their site. If you can get the search of terms on the right to come up with terms on the left, then the little figure in red at the top left is the one you are after. If it is 1200 then you have struck gold, less than 100 and you have struck out!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

10k baseline even for .jp? :P and this comes from a man who claims he only regs 1 M + ovt heheh :P

well i guess once the 100k + names are gone then wego all the way down to the 10k ones