IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2006, 10:15 AM

Ben has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura aboutBen has a spectacular aura about
IDNs hot or not

There was an IDN poll over at NamePros and I was surprised at the results. Less than 50% voted "hot", and even experienced domainers such as the forum owner, RJ, voted "not".

How can they not see the potential of IDNs? There's already been plenty of sales listed on DNJ.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:17 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: IDNs hot or not

50% would be a good result. Lets face it if half the speculators around were buying IDN then we would all be retired already. At 80%, you would be starting to ask if the market were overheating.
Old 12th May 2006, 10:18 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Their loss is your gain. Do you really want all the guys with deep pockets and scripts hoovering up all the names?
Old 12th May 2006, 10:22 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

At the moment, there is more money to be made in acsii .com.

Those of us who wow at making a few thousands or even tens of thousands on IDNs over the past 6 mths, big time dot com traders and drop catchers can make that money in a few days.

Last edited by touchring; 12th May 2006 at 10:27 AM..
Old 12th May 2006, 10:42 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

Let 'em remain ignorant.

These guys have missed out on the best IDN's on offer anyway.

They are fighting over ascii scraps...and they wiil be fighting over IDN scraps too...
Old 12th May 2006, 10:48 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamo
Let 'em remain ignorant.

These guys have missed out on the best IDN's on offer anyway.

They are fighting over ascii scraps...and they wiil be fighting over IDN scraps too...
Yes, it won't be long before they are stinging together incoherent combinations of obscure Chinese symbols and trying to convince themselves they are worth a fortune! Lets face it they have already developed such skills on ASCII and all they need to is transfer them across. We are just about to witness the invasion of the Hanzi Typo brigrade, I think.
Old 12th May 2006, 11:07 AM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I would say that it's really even less than 50% because most of the people voting they are hot are members from here.

Also a forum's owner doesn't have to reflect the forum.

I believe that it's easier for younger people, especially those that are around a lot of ethnicities to see the point.
Old 12th May 2006, 11:20 AM

seamo is an unknown quantity at this point

It just astounds me that people who think they are so 'tech-savvy' as to invest in domain names, are so willingly ignorant of their future.

I mean, how many domainers do we know? Less than 0.001% of the population can even understand what we are talking about. We are members of a very small global population.

Yet these guys are well-versed in domaining, and still refuse to face the facts -

東京.net - $10,000 to The Duck

髪.com - $6,000 to Olney

新聞定期購読.com - ? to sarcle

Ascii elitists - $0

Last edited by seamo; 12th May 2006 at 11:34 AM..
Old 12th May 2006, 11:36 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
I would say that it's really even less than 50% because most of the people voting they are hot are members from here.

I believe that it's easier for younger people, especially those that are around a lot of ethnicities to see the point.
I have been wondering that myself recently. What is it that makes some domainers "get it", and others not. The two obvious categories are:

1) People whose native language isn't English.
2) English-speaking people that live in Asian countries.

These people will understand easily that folks around the world do not use the web in English language, just the domain name part of it.

Are there any other categories of people that "get" IDNs apart from the two above? What about "Rubber Duck" - what's his excuse?

Might be good for a poll?

Last edited by domainguru; 12th May 2006 at 11:39 AM..
Old 12th May 2006, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
I have been wondering that myself recently. What is it that makes some domainers "get it", and others not. The two obvious categories are:

1) People whose native language isn't English.
2) English-speaking people that live in Asian countries.

These people will understand easily that folks around the world do not use the web in English language, just the domain name part of it.

Are there any other categories of people that "get" IDNs apart from the two above? What about "Rubber Duck" - what's his excuse?

Might be good for a poll?
You forgot the third category, which is those that have worked for Asian owned companies.

The point is that most Westerners will never get this. It wasn't ever intended for them in the first place. Even when Rick Schwartz is being brushed aside by those wishing to press the flesh of the successful IDNers, most ASCII domainers will still look upon this as Smoke and Mirrors. Most of them could not pass a test in Basic IDNing if their very existence depended up it. John 12:1-8

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 12th May 2006 at 01:58 PM..
Old 12th May 2006, 01:38 PM

jenni is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney

I agree, probally under 40% as I know thefabfive, you(Olney), and I all voted. Others from here probally did too.

Right now I have had more luck with ascii domains then idns but I'm hoping that will change soon.
Old 12th May 2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni
I agree, probally under 40% as I know thefabfive, you(Olney), and I all voted. Others from here probally did too.

Right now I have had more luck with ascii domains then idns but I'm hoping that will change soon.
As long as you are acquiring good IDNs, that is all that is important at this stage. Decent income will arrive once ordinary web users can actually access IDNs en masse.
Old 12th May 2006, 02:36 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Some domainers don't get it, because

a) They did not find out about IDNs in time to get some of the best names.

b) They may have heard about the IDN "PLUG-IN" and think of IDNs something like New.net domain names.

c) They don't want to think or admit that one of the last really huge opportunities may have just passed them by. Perhaps .mobi will be their salvation.

d) They could not imagine the demand for non-English character domains.

e) They were waiting for the full (IDN.IDN) domains, because IDNs with English ".com" doesn't make sense
Old 12th May 2006, 02:45 PM
A.W.O.L

Olney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

In that report by dnJournal you know it did state that DCG said that dot coms are only getting LONGER & LONGER & LONGER

IDN is the new universe.

I'd rather have a stock of domains I'm sure I can broker off than trying to just get lucky...
Old 12th May 2006, 02:59 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

IDN.mobi? What does the future hold?

And what is the .IDN (extension) version of .mobi?

Will that ever be?
Old 12th May 2006, 03:06 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Exclamation Re: IDNs hot or not

Some people dont get it because they overcomplicate things , I have said before and will lay it out again ... This is basic a Math problem 1+1= 2 .... High % of NoN-Enlgish Speakers + Internet = IDN ... This is just plain common sense im glad my parents blessed me with that , Some people should look up the Term Deregulation if they want to get technical , Deregulation is the greatest redistribution of wealth the world has ever seen on the Telecom & Utilities side, Do they actually think the Derugalation of domains is not huge ROTFLAO :D
Old 12th May 2006, 03:17 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

Someone should put an IDN traffic name for sale at Namepros. Preferrably one with unusually good traffic at the moment. Include all the traffic stats and revenue and see if that gets their attention.

Wish I had one of those...
Old 12th May 2006, 03:20 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Those are very valid reasons idnowner. It may be second-nature for us at IDNF to register all kinds of names in all kinds of languages, but it's obvious that many have trepidation doing the same.

I'm glad that the results are skewed out-of-favor, especially considering many of you here seem to have voted.

If it seemed that every domainer was bullish on IDN, it would be cause to look very carefully at the fundamental reasons for the bullishness, as it takes both buyers and sellers to make a true market.

Would you buy a stock if everyone you know had invested in it?
Old 12th May 2006, 03:55 PM

vgemito is an unknown quantity at this point

Gammascalper's post touches on a point that should not be overlooked: that the domain market shares characteristics with every other market.

As with stocks, many look expectantly for rationality. My experience, however, is that markets are rational only if you average them over the long period . In the short and medium term they tend to be irrational and emotionally swayed.

On the whole, Americans are less comfortable than most with having to deal with multiple languages. It is simply is not built into the culture. So it is not surprising to me to see the reluctance of the ASCII community to understand or value IDNs. In fact this aversion has dominated for 5 or 6 years - the whole time IDNs have been available. And, this aversion is not going to disappear on its own. It will require some catalyst.

I don't think anyone can accurately predict what that catylist, or combination of them, will be at present, but it is a question that should remain foremost in mind on the chance that we might be able to enable and speed its (their) path.

As for poll numbers, don't worry. Once the IDN case is demonstrated and momentum gathers, the mass of ASCII investors will be converted quickly enough. Markets are herd creatures.
Old 12th May 2006, 04:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgemito
Gammascalper's post touches on a point that should not be overlooked: that the domain market shares characteristics with every other market.

As with stocks, many look expectantly for rationality. My experience, however, is that markets are rational only if you average them over the long period . In the short and medium term they tend to be irrational and emotionally swayed.

On the whole, Americans are less comfortable than most with having to deal with multiple languages. It is simply is not built into the culture. So it is not surprising to me to see the reluctance of the ASCII community to understand or value IDNs. In fact this aversion has dominated for 5 or 6 years - the whole time IDNs have been available. And, this aversion is not going to disappear on its own. It will require some catalyst.

I don't think anyone can accurately predict what that catylist, or combination of them, will be at present, but it is a question that should remain foremost in mind on the chance that we might be able to enable and speed its (their) path.

As for poll numbers, don't worry. Once the IDN case is demonstrated and momentum gathers, the mass of ASCII investors will be converted quickly enough. Markets are herd creatures.

Yes, you are quite correct in your assertions. There is pent up demand due to ignorance and often arrogance. The catalyst that will break the dam will be the promise of substantial revenues. The American Domainer will always discount the earnings in his head due to perceived greater risk or greater management costs, but at the end of the day he will have to accept that on an equal basis he cannot realistically discount these domains by much more than 50%, without giving up a substantial opportunity. The primary determinant of value will be traffic revenues which in many cases will approach or even exceed those of ASCII.

By contrast Chinese and Japanese buyers and others will be much more comfortable with these domains that the ASCII. Even now it gets difficult to get the Chinese to systematically state the Punycode which they regard as substantially irrelevant. I think you will find that long-term investors from the Far East will in many cases prove to have much deeper pockets that the short-term arbiteurs that are found on Wall Street. Obviously, in the short-term liquidity in the IDN market would be greatly increased by the entry of the ASCII crowd, and that would also expedite development of PPC services, but their participation is by no means essential.