IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > Browser, Mobile & Software

Browser, Mobile & Software Discussion of IDNs & browsers such as Microsoft IE, mobile cell phones, or other software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2011, 04:24 PM

andre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished road
Google Chrome Browser & IDNs

Google Chrome is yet another browser that by default displays punycode instead of the unicode form of an IDN in the address bar.

Windows: It is necessary to explicitly add all the languages/scripts for which one wants the IDN to be displayed in Unicode form.

Mac OSX: The current Chrome version will only display the unicode form of an IDN if it is in the System Language. Naturally there can only be one system language at a time so only a single language IDN will be correctly displayed in the unicode form.

The main point is that users will have to take action to whitelist IDNs otherwise the punycode form will be displayed. Chrome is, of course, not the only browser where users would have to change settings to whitelist IDNs in order that they are displayed in unicode.

This seems to me another hurdle that needs to be overcome in order for there to be widespread adoption of IDNs. I think that the default IDN display mode for all browsers should be unicode ie no action is required by a user for all IDNs to be displayed correctly in the unicode form.

The current approach by the browsers seems to be that all IDNs are a security risk because they are IDNs. The much quoted risk is the mixing of scripts. But considering that Registries do take measures to prevent this, is it even possible any longer.

If there is a possible and real security risk with a specific IDN then the browser could alert the user in a manner other than displaying the punycode form. eg an Alert Pop Up or change the background colour of the address bar to red

André 小山 Schappo
http://口口.台灣/
Old 27th January 2011, 04:28 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Google Chrome Browser & IDNs

As a full-time researcher / academic, I suggest you research Chrome fully before reporting on its behaviour.

I downloaded the Thai version and it automatically displayed Thai IDNs. There was no manual intervention necessary.
Old 27th January 2011, 04:43 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre View Post
The much quoted risk is the mixing of scripts. But considering that Registries do take measures to prevent this, is it even possible any longer.
There is also a risk where homographic domains (ebay.com vs еьау.com) are registered to different people. That's mozilla take on the subject : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...licy-list.html

I never understood why it was Mozilla's job to police the interwebs.
+ Ideologically, you also gotta ask yourself, why would homographs have to be registered with the same entity to begin with ? As Drew mentioned earlier this week, will the owner of т.com have some claim for t.com at one point in time ?
Old 27th January 2011, 04:44 PM

andre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished roadandre is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
I downloaded the Thai version and it automatically displayed Thai IDNs. There was no manual intervention necessary.
Ah Good point. I was testing using the English version.

So with your Thai version does it display Chinese, Japanese, Russian ...etc... IDNs in unicode or punycode forms?

André 小山 Schappo
Old 27th January 2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
There is also a risk where homographic domains (ebay.com vs еьау.com) are registered to different people. That's mozilla take on the subject : http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...licy-list.html
Thank you for that link. It is very useful. Previously I had been visiting individual Registries to find out their policy.

André 小山 Schappo
Old 28th January 2011, 02:02 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ah Good point. I was testing using the English version.

So with your Thai version does it display Chinese, Japanese, Russian ...etc... IDNs in unicode or punycode forms?

André 小山 Schappo
Sorry don't know any more. I switched to a MacBook Pro and haven't opened my old Windows machine since. Always wanted a Mac again after getting started on them at Luffy

About Chrome on Mac - I agree - I have a Thai MacBook but have reset the system language back to English and it shows Thai URLs in punycode. As it does Chinese, Russian etc.

Last edited by domainguru; 28th January 2011 at 02:23 PM..
Old 28th January 2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
About Chrome on Mac - I agree - I have a Thai MacBook but have reset the system language back to English and it shows Thai URLs in punycode. As it does Chinese, Russian etc.
There is an excellent app for the Mac called Language Switcher

http://www.tj-hd.co.uk/en-gb/languageswitcher/

With this app you can launch an app in a language different to the OS language. So, for instance, you can have your system language as English and use Google Chrome in Thai. Then Thai IDNs will display in Unicode

Google Chrome for the Mac has a very impressive 52 languages

André 小山 Schappo
Old 30th January 2011, 02:44 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
With this app you can launch an app in a language different to the OS language. So, for instance, you can have your system language as English and use Google Chrome in Thai. Then Thai IDNs will display in Unicode
All you need to do is select the Application in the Finder, choose File > Get Info, and deselect all the languages except the one you want it to run in. No special tools required.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 30th January 2011 at 02:45 PM..
Old 30th January 2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
All you need to do is select the Application in the Finder, choose File > Get Info, and deselect all the languages except the one you want it to run in. No special tools required.
I assume that you are using Leopard (10.5)??

With Snow Leopard (10.6) the Application languages do not appear in Get Info

Unless there is a way of getting Snow Leopard to show the languages in Get Info ??

André 小山 Schappo