View Single Post
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 21st June 2006, 04:40 AM
domainguru's Avatar
domainguru domainguru is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,835
iTrader: (14)
Rep Power: 2558
domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: IDN domains with no dots (extensions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer
With ICANN acting so slowly to map IDN.com into IDN.com(in local language), would they not lose out to some of these local no dot providers? As for Thailand, Nipa already claims to have 200,000 domains entries per day in Thai through their service and they mentioned in their FAQs (in Thai as per below) that you do not need to download any software if your ISP is their partner (they have apparently teamed up with major ISPs in Thailand) and hence for Thailand, they may already have the edge over ICANN IDN.com service with the popularity/usage growing there. I wonder once ICANN launches no extension IDN domain names, how will they resolve if local ISPs have already made the agreement with a company like NIPA to resolve their domains without extensions. With the current rate of their growth and adoption by major corporations in Thailand, I am concenred that ICANN may lose out for Thailand for the no extension space. I can't speak for other IDNs with no extension.

RubberDuck, any info how I could book/prebook no extension domains through ICANN? What kind of proposals have you discussed with them if I may ask?

จำเป็นจะต้องดาวน์โหลดซอฟท์แวร์จากปุ่ม Install หรือไม่

ไม่จำเป็นต้องดาวน์โหลดถ้าต่ออินเทอร์เน็ตผ่าน ISP ที่เป็น Partner กับนิภา แต่ถ้าดาวน์โหลด จะทำให้การใช้"ชื่อไทย ไม่มีดอท" เร็วขึ้นและซอฟท์แวร์ดาวน์โหลดนี้เป็นเพียงสคริปต์เล็กๆ ที่มีขนาด 200kb เท่านั้น
There have been dozens of organizations over the years trying to hijack traffic for both local and global domains, either via keyword systems or "alternative domain roots". A couple of examples are RealNames and New.net. All they have succeeded in doing is taking lots of money from people and confusing them.

Nipa obviously succeeded in confusing you by making you think Shell had bought a keyword from them

They fall down for a variety of reasons, but mostly because they are proprietary, and require you to run a proprietary system to access whatever it is they are selling you. This software is either installed locally on your PC (uggh!), or on ISP server machines. And since it is proprietary, it is *never* going to work consistently across the Net. Sure, if your ISP happens to be teaming up with the service provider that year, you can access it. But what if you swap ISPs? Or the ISP ends the relationship? Or gets a better deal from a different start-up? Or you move to a different country? Wallop - the service stops working for you.

And as for browser plug-ins, they require each user to install the plug-in. This never happens for all the obvious reasons. The penetration of any such system via user plug-ins is very very low.

As for Nipa claiming this and that, well that's what their marketing department is paid to do. They will claim massive numbers until the day the service folds.

I have never seen an ad from a company using their service. Why would any company pay to advertise a keyword where perhaps only 10% or 20% of the Thai population can access it? Not only do you get a very restricted market, you also annoy the other 80% by wasting their time.

Services like this that operate outside the ICANN mandate are doomed to failure. There would be no stability in Net addressing if everyone was busy downloading / replacing / swapping propietary drivers / ISPs in order to access such services.

Consider the situation if Nipa "succeeded" to any degree and a rival company started up? Would you be expected to toggle between ISPs every 5 mins? The idea simply doesn't work, period.

Last edited by domainguru; 21st June 2006 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote