IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   How Wordpress manages IDN (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/28645-how-wordpress-manages-idn.html)

monsieur 27th February 2011 03:43 PM

How Wordpress manages IDN

Hello all,
I'm setting up a few Wordpress Websites that have special characters in their domain name.
The problem i have is that, also i set the 'adress site' in the wordpress manager as the 'real name' (ie native character), it shows in the adresse bar and in the manager in punny code.
Anybody had problems like this ?
How can i solve this ?
Thanks in advance

domainguru 27th February 2011 10:15 PM

Re: How Wordpress manages IDN

You'd have to explain a bit more exactly where you are having the issue. I've never had any IDN-specific issues with WP .....

monsieur 28th February 2011 08:08 AM

Thank you for your answer.
What i mean is that the domain name still appears in punnycode instead of the 'local name' in the adress bar from my browser (wichever browser i use).
I have the same problem in my wordpress manager : it shows on the top left the punny code instead of the 'local name with special characters'.
I was guessing it was a wordpress problem but now i'm wondering : maybe it is a server-side problem ?
Can you tell me if you need a specific installation with IDN wordpress site or you just use a normal installation ?
For instance, do you use the IDNA plugin ?

yanni 28th February 2011 11:23 AM

The domain will show in punycode in the address bar of your browser, unless you're using Safari or Opera.
In Wordpress, I assume that you mean in the "settings" area where the address of the domain is displayed. If so, that's the way it is shown. In punycode.
Since in order to host the domain you had to enter the punycode, the wordpress installation reflects that.

Basically, Wordpress is fine, there is no special edition that you need for idns. It's a browser issue.

domainguru 28th February 2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanni (Bericht 176936)
The domain will show in punycode in the address bar of your browser, unless you're using Safari or Opera.
In Wordpress, I assume that you mean in the "settings" area where the address of the domain is displayed. If so, that's the way it is shown. In punycode.
Since in order to host the domain you had to enter the punycode, the wordpress installation reflects that.

Basically, Wordpress is fine, there is no special edition that you need for idns. It's a browser issue.

Yep, WP is fine. What you are running into is "browser anti-phishing craziness". This has negatively impacted IDNs massively in the last 5 years. Biggest culprits are Mozilla. They need to sit down with VeriSign and sort this out before "real" IDNs launch in 2012. If they don't, I suggest we demonstrate round the clock outside their offices. They are in a nice sunny warm place right? :)

monsieur 1st March 2011 07:51 AM

Guys, thank you so much for rour answers but i'm getting mixed feelings about this.
A bit relieved because this means i was doing everything ok :)
But very scared because i didn't know about the punnycode problem. (gues it's my fault but i havnt seen this info before)
I think it is a real pain in the ...
Until this is fixed by the main browsers, no user will visit (and trust) a website with a strange code (punnycode) in URL's...
It's annoying because i was planning to put a website in production very soon but now i feel it's worthless...
Not even talking about the other domain i bought...
Anyone tried the Firefox 4 beta and the new IE to see if this is fixed ?

gammascalper 1st March 2011 08:17 AM

If you are using IE7 or IE8, I'm pretty sure you will see unicode ok in the URL bar, in the language that your OS is set to. So Japanese users for the most part see Japanese domain names.

It's really just firefox that has a whitelisting problem iirc.

domainguru 1st March 2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gammascalper (Bericht 177008)
If you are using IE7 or IE8, I'm pretty sure you will see unicode ok in the URL bar, in the language that your OS is set to. So Japanese users for the most part see Japanese domain names.

It's really just firefox that has a whitelisting problem iirc.

Yep. Just firefox now in the main, and that doesn't need a fix from a new version. It needs Mozilla and VeriSign having their heads banged together very hard.

And yeah, I am using FF4 beta 12. Just the same as ever ...

monsieur 1st March 2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domainguru (Bericht 177011)
And yeah, I am using FF4 beta 12. Just the same as ever ...

Really ? :(
I don't understand what Mozilla is thinking on this...

squirrel 1st March 2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieur (Bericht 177017)
Really ? :(
I don't understand what Mozilla is thinking on this...

It's an ideology issue. It could be resolved in a split second or it could take years.

monsieur 1st March 2011 05:51 PM

I know that might be useless (call me naive) but what about complaining to them ?
Maybe on their mainboard ?
I can't believe they left a huge problem like this unsolved.

alpha 1st March 2011 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieur (Bericht 177030)
I know that might be useless (call me naive) but what about complaining to them ?

see here

squirrel 1st March 2011 06:26 PM

The irony about this list of published policies is that some of the links are dead, most notably PIR's (.org), yet Mozilla keeps them on the whitelist.

In due time Firefox will lose market share if they continue with this bulls..

domainguru 1st March 2011 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieur (Bericht 177030)

But they don't consider the problem theirs. They consider it is VeriSign's problem for not publishing the policy.

But its an absolute f****ing joke. If you click a random "policy" link on the Mozilla page, chances are it will come up with a 404. And I honestly can't believe a lot of the ccTLD registries would even be capable of coming up with a policy.

Seems to me more and more Mozilla and VeriSign must have had some giant spat in the past which has caused the current en passe. No logical explanation could explain it.

monsieur 1st March 2011 07:20 PM

So you think nothing could be done except wait ?
Doh, this is terrible :no:
I feel really unmotivated now to develop those great names i've found...

domainguru 1st March 2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieur (Bericht 177035)
So you think nothing could be done except wait ?
Doh, this is terrible :no:
I feel really unmotivated now to develop those great names i've found...

Read my Thai "games" case study, and look at other people that have successfully developed IDNs e.g:

http://idnblog.com/2011/02/07/john-t...rns-22000year/

Sure, we would all have made a lot more money if everything was perfect, but life in the IDN lane isn't like that.

And besides, the earlier you develop, the more age your website has. That is priceless ....

Develop, learn, get skilled up, get ahead of the curve dude - or just sit on your arse moaning - its your choice.

blastfromthepast 1st March 2011 09:03 PM

Open up bug reports on Moz dev site and contact them to complain.

monsieur 2nd March 2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domainguru (Bericht 177036)
Read my Thai "games" case study, and look at other people that have successfully developed IDNs e.g:

http://idnblog.com/2011/02/07/john-t...rns-22000year/

Actually,i have already read your case study one or two months ago and this one of the things that motivated me at that time to go for IDNs (i was really jalous of the great thai domain names you have found ;) )
So this gives me a chance to say thank you for the inspiration :p

Quote:

Develop, learn, get skilled up, get ahead of the curve dude - or just sit on your arse moaning - its your choice.
Yep, you're right. Gotta stop being non contructive and get to work.

Thanks again everyone for the answers, this was really helpful !

monsieur 2nd March 2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blastfromthepast (Bericht 177046)
Open up bug reports on Moz dev site and contact them to complain.

Well i will do this as well.
Doesnt cost anything, right ? :)

monsieur 2nd March 2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsieur (Bericht 177064)
Well i will do this as well.
Doesnt cost anything, right ? :)

Well that was quick.
Here is their answer :

Quote:

Mozilla has a whitelist system for what top level domains to support punycode:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...licy-list.html

This sounds related to bug 607938 if nothing else, but not sure.

Moving to the right component for now.
Well, at least i tried :)