IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2011, 03:43 PM

monsieur is an unknown quantity at this point
How Wordpress manages IDN

Hello all,
I'm setting up a few Wordpress Websites that have special characters in their domain name.
The problem i have is that, also i set the 'adress site' in the wordpress manager as the 'real name' (ie native character), it shows in the adresse bar and in the manager in punny code.
Anybody had problems like this ?
How can i solve this ?
Thanks in advance
Old 27th February 2011, 10:15 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: How Wordpress manages IDN

You'd have to explain a bit more exactly where you are having the issue. I've never had any IDN-specific issues with WP .....
Old 28th February 2011, 08:08 AM

Thank you for your answer.
What i mean is that the domain name still appears in punnycode instead of the 'local name' in the adress bar from my browser (wichever browser i use).
I have the same problem in my wordpress manager : it shows on the top left the punny code instead of the 'local name with special characters'.
I was guessing it was a wordpress problem but now i'm wondering : maybe it is a server-side problem ?
Can you tell me if you need a specific installation with IDN wordpress site or you just use a normal installation ?
For instance, do you use the IDNA plugin ?
Old 28th February 2011, 11:23 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

The domain will show in punycode in the address bar of your browser, unless you're using Safari or Opera.
In Wordpress, I assume that you mean in the "settings" area where the address of the domain is displayed. If so, that's the way it is shown. In punycode.
Since in order to host the domain you had to enter the punycode, the wordpress installation reflects that.

Basically, Wordpress is fine, there is no special edition that you need for idns. It's a browser issue.
Old 28th February 2011, 01:00 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
The domain will show in punycode in the address bar of your browser, unless you're using Safari or Opera.
In Wordpress, I assume that you mean in the "settings" area where the address of the domain is displayed. If so, that's the way it is shown. In punycode.
Since in order to host the domain you had to enter the punycode, the wordpress installation reflects that.

Basically, Wordpress is fine, there is no special edition that you need for idns. It's a browser issue.
Yep, WP is fine. What you are running into is "browser anti-phishing craziness". This has negatively impacted IDNs massively in the last 5 years. Biggest culprits are Mozilla. They need to sit down with VeriSign and sort this out before "real" IDNs launch in 2012. If they don't, I suggest we demonstrate round the clock outside their offices. They are in a nice sunny warm place right?
Old 1st March 2011, 07:51 AM

Guys, thank you so much for rour answers but i'm getting mixed feelings about this.
A bit relieved because this means i was doing everything ok
But very scared because i didn't know about the punnycode problem. (gues it's my fault but i havnt seen this info before)
I think it is a real pain in the ...
Until this is fixed by the main browsers, no user will visit (and trust) a website with a strange code (punnycode) in URL's...
It's annoying because i was planning to put a website in production very soon but now i feel it's worthless...
Not even talking about the other domain i bought...
Anyone tried the Firefox 4 beta and the new IE to see if this is fixed ?
Old 1st March 2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

If you are using IE7 or IE8, I'm pretty sure you will see unicode ok in the URL bar, in the language that your OS is set to. So Japanese users for the most part see Japanese domain names.

It's really just firefox that has a whitelisting problem iirc.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper View Post
If you are using IE7 or IE8, I'm pretty sure you will see unicode ok in the URL bar, in the language that your OS is set to. So Japanese users for the most part see Japanese domain names.

It's really just firefox that has a whitelisting problem iirc.
Yep. Just firefox now in the main, and that doesn't need a fix from a new version. It needs Mozilla and VeriSign having their heads banged together very hard.

And yeah, I am using FF4 beta 12. Just the same as ever ...
Old 1st March 2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
And yeah, I am using FF4 beta 12. Just the same as ever ...
Really ?
I don't understand what Mozilla is thinking on this...
Old 1st March 2011, 03:22 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieur View Post
Really ?
I don't understand what Mozilla is thinking on this...
It's an ideology issue. It could be resolved in a split second or it could take years.
Old 1st March 2011, 05:51 PM

I know that might be useless (call me naive) but what about complaining to them ?
Maybe on their mainboard ?
I can't believe they left a huge problem like this unsolved.
Old 1st March 2011, 06:03 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
I know that might be useless (call me naive) but what about complaining to them ?
see here
Old 1st March 2011, 06:26 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

The irony about this list of published policies is that some of the links are dead, most notably PIR's (.org), yet Mozilla keeps them on the whitelist.

In due time Firefox will lose market share if they continue with this bulls..
Old 1st March 2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
But they don't consider the problem theirs. They consider it is VeriSign's problem for not publishing the policy.

But its an absolute f****ing joke. If you click a random "policy" link on the Mozilla page, chances are it will come up with a 404. And I honestly can't believe a lot of the ccTLD registries would even be capable of coming up with a policy.

Seems to me more and more Mozilla and VeriSign must have had some giant spat in the past which has caused the current en passe. No logical explanation could explain it.
Old 1st March 2011, 07:20 PM

So you think nothing could be done except wait ?
Doh, this is terrible
I feel really unmotivated now to develop those great names i've found...
Old 1st March 2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
So you think nothing could be done except wait ?
Doh, this is terrible
I feel really unmotivated now to develop those great names i've found...
Read my Thai "games" case study, and look at other people that have successfully developed IDNs e.g:

http://idnblog.com/2011/02/07/john-t...rns-22000year/

Sure, we would all have made a lot more money if everything was perfect, but life in the IDN lane isn't like that.

And besides, the earlier you develop, the more age your website has. That is priceless ....

Develop, learn, get skilled up, get ahead of the curve dude - or just sit on your arse moaning - its your choice.
Old 1st March 2011, 09:03 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Open up bug reports on Moz dev site and contact them to complain.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 1st March 2011 at 09:03 PM..
Old 2nd March 2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Read my Thai "games" case study, and look at other people that have successfully developed IDNs e.g:

http://idnblog.com/2011/02/07/john-t...rns-22000year/
Actually,i have already read your case study one or two months ago and this one of the things that motivated me at that time to go for IDNs (i was really jalous of the great thai domain names you have found )
So this gives me a chance to say thank you for the inspiration :p

Quote:
Develop, learn, get skilled up, get ahead of the curve dude - or just sit on your arse moaning - its your choice.
Yep, you're right. Gotta stop being non contructive and get to work.

Thanks again everyone for the answers, this was really helpful !
Old 2nd March 2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Open up bug reports on Moz dev site and contact them to complain.
Well i will do this as well.
Doesnt cost anything, right ?
Old 2nd March 2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Well i will do this as well.
Doesnt cost anything, right ?
Well that was quick.
Here is their answer :

Quote:
Mozilla has a whitelist system for what top level domains to support punycode:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/secu...licy-list.html

This sounds related to bug 607938 if nothing else, but not sure.

Moving to the right component for now.
Well, at least i tried