IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2011, 12:33 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about
Why you should avoid Internationalized Domain Names

http://www.zigpress.com/2011/03/02/w...uld-avoid-idn/

gets my vote for the funniest blog of 2011.

my-secure-bаnk-website.com lol.

Total of votes so far this year:
1) a vote for Tina (person of the year award 2011)
2) a vote for (Funniest) blog award 2011

Last edited by DktoInc; 5th March 2011 at 12:49 AM..
Old 5th March 2011, 01:12 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why you should avoid Internationalized Domain Names

Actually, the article, though wrong-headed, points to a problem.

The author discusses the dreaded "IDN homograph attack" (putting a cyrillic 'а' in bаnk.com, for instance), and refers to the Wikipedia article on the subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDN_homograph_attack.

I read the Wikipedia article, and was surprised to discover that nowhere in the article is there any mention of the fact that major registries (.com and .net for example) forbid mixing alphabets, and have done so for years. If you read the article, you would think that the only defense against homograph attacks is at the browser level.

From the Wikipedia article:

Quote:
With the advent of internationalized country codes spoofing will be minimized. For example, the Russian TLD .рф only accepts Cyrillic names, forbidding the mix with Latin characters. However the problem in .com and other gTLDs remains open.
So the blog post is wrong about IDN homograph attacks, but only because Wikipedia is also wrong.

Avtal
Old 5th March 2011, 01:22 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
I read the Wikipedia article, and was surprised to discover that nowhere in the article is there any mention of the fact that major registries (.com and .net for example) forbid mixing alphabets, and have done so for years. If you read the article, you would think that the only defense against homograph attacks is at the browser level.

From the Wikipedia article:

So the blog post is wrong about IDN homograph attacks, but only because Wikipedia is also wrong.

Avtal
I believe Wikipedia is correct. At the moment, .com and .net allow mixing of different languages. That's why Firefox always displays punycode in its address bar for IDN.com and IDN.net.

Last edited by Ryu; 5th March 2011 at 01:23 AM..
Old 5th March 2011, 01:25 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Wrong about PHP, WordPress and Facebook. (Or maybe not up-to-date, as it used to be true ~2007).

http://php.net/manual/en/ref.intl.idn.php

Last edited by jose; 5th March 2011 at 01:27 AM..
Old 5th March 2011, 01:36 AM

Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Wrong about PHP, WordPress and Facebook. (Or maybe not up-to-date, as it used to be true ~2007).

http://php.net/manual/en/ref.intl.idn.php
I've never tested an IDN with Facebook. Does it actually work fine now? If you place an IDN link on FB, does it get automatically hyper-linked?
Old 5th March 2011, 01:37 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
I believe Wikipedia is correct. At the moment, .com and .net allow mixing of different languages. That's why Firefox always displays punycode in its address bar for IDN.com and IDN.net.
Here is what Verisign says, in http://verisigninc.com/en_US/product...ts/index.xhtml:

Quote:
As a rule, the .com, .net, .name, .tv, and .cc registries reject the commingling of code points from different Unicode scripts. That is, if an IDN contains code points from any two or more Unicode scripts, then that IDN registration is rejected. For example, a letter from the Latin alphabet cannot be used in the same IDN with any Cyrillic letter. All code points within an IDN must come from the same Unicode script. This is done to prevent confusable code points from appearing in the same IDN.
A later paragraph discusses exceptions; Korean and Latin scripts can be commingled, for instance.

My understanding is that Firefox's policy is due to the fact that Verisign has never formally explained their policy to the Mozilla organization. I'm not sure why.

Avtal
Old 5th March 2011, 01:39 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
I've never tested an IDN with Facebook. Does it actually work fine now? If you place an IDN link on FB, does it get automatically hyper-linked?
It does.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:43 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Lat year I tried to register cyrillic with "latin" e prefix character in .com but failed, I had been able to do it in Chinese.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:24 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If I want to build a german online bookstore, I could register www.bücher.de – but I would stay with www.bucher.de.
FAIL.

The ascii equivalent for bücher.de is buecher.de. Good luck trying to register either one.

Last edited by bumblebee man; 5th March 2011 at 02:25 AM..
Old 5th March 2011, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Here is what Verisign says, in http://verisigninc.com/en_US/product...ts/index.xhtml:

A later paragraph discusses exceptions; Korean and Latin scripts can be commingled, for instance.

My understanding is that Firefox's policy is due to the fact that Verisign has never formally explained their policy to the Mozilla organization. I'm not sure why.

Avtal
Thanks for the link, Avtal. This is news to me. I wonder how long Verisign has been implementing this. Firefox should definitely start accepting IDN.com and IDN.net in its address bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
It does.
Thanks. Didn't know that at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
Lat year I tried to register cyrillic with "latin" e prefix character in .com but failed, I had been able to do it in Chinese.
So, you can't actually register my-secure-bаnk-website.com? Dynadot and Name.com show the names are available. That's misleading.

I wonder then what would happen to those funny mixed-language IDN.com people use to register.
Old 5th March 2011, 04:15 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

my-secure-bаnk-website.com shows available on godaddy as well, but it doesn't allow to register itbecause of mixed script.
Old 5th March 2011, 05:05 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Mozilla is a developer that needs to conform to a standard. Verisign is the registry. They set which standards .com will follow. Mozilla is the one who should be reading up about Verisign standards, not the other way around.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Does it matter how confused the Americans are about this?

I don't suppose most potential users have or will give it a second thought.
Old 5th March 2011, 10:33 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

It's not just the Americans who are confused about this, unfortunately.
Old 9th March 2011, 10:20 PM
Premium User

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Mozilla is a developer that needs to conform to a standard. Verisign is the registry. They set which standards .com will follow. Mozilla is the one who should be reading up about Verisign standards, not the other way around.
Exactly correct, but the person answering this question on the Mozilla support forum doesn't seem to think so.

http://support.mozilla.com/ta-LK/questions/790574
Old 9th March 2011, 10:56 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin99 View Post
Exactly correct, but the person answering this question on the Mozilla support forum doesn't seem to think so.
The solution for them is simple: follow IDNA2008 only.
Old 10th March 2011, 12:03 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

If anyone is posting there, might like to mention that most of the links to alleged security policies actually point to 404 pages e.g:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/idn/th-thai.html
http://www.iana.org/assignments/idn/jp-japanese.html

And other links simply go to registry home pages etc. The whole thing is a joke. Somebody might like to challenge Mozilla on where all these alleged security documents are....