IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2011, 11:57 PM

dave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished road
Adsense revenue developed vs parked

Hi,

I own [Games].com in Hebrew a flash games website with Google Adsense ads.

Three months ago the site was down due to some database error. Out of curiosity I decided to try park the site with Google for few days just to try.

While the site was active I tried various ad formats, colors and locations on page etc. My conclusion is that visitors (kids?) just don’t click on ads that much and you really need lots of traffic.

Site active: average $1 per day
Parked: average $5 per day (with minimal traffic)

Anyone here encountered similar data?

We all know the benefits and importance of developing…. But for now I’m with Google.

Thanks!
Old 13th April 2011, 04:50 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Adsense revenue developed vs parked

Yes. I have seen the same thing with some Russian sites/parked.
Old 13th April 2011, 06:03 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I think that games sites are actually really bad in terms of using Adsense, and getting clicks on the ads is very hard, which is why I am not surprised by your data. I remember reading somewhere that these types of sites are often very difficult to monetize.

Last edited by alexd; 13th April 2011 at 06:03 AM..
Old 13th April 2011, 01:11 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Guys - this is very simple. If you have real site up, people go there to access the content primarily, not click on ads.

If you have a parking page up, visitors are "trapped" into clicking on ads because there is nothing else there.

Its really got nothing to do with game websites vs game parking pages, just the nature of real sites vs click traps.

And its exactly why I warn against developing "mini-sites" - they basically have all the disadvantages of real sites (low click through rate per page compared with parked pages) without the advantages of developed real sites (lots of pages indexed, higher visitor return rate etc)

Last edited by domainguru; 13th April 2011 at 01:36 PM..
Old 14th April 2011, 05:40 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Guys - this is very simple. If you have real site up, people go there to access the content primarily, not click on ads.
Thank you. Sometimes we get so caught up in the advertising part of the business we loose sight of why people actually visit websites.
Old 14th April 2011, 06:51 PM
Premium User

basel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to basel

if you owned agreat domain such like games.com and you find that parking revenue is better than adsense from developed site that just because :

1- you need to give much time to let your website come more popular
time is lose money but you need to lose money tel your site increase much and much traffic (more traffic more clicks)

2- if you put a 5 years plan to see your website in good rank , i think from the 1st year and after waiting you will get the traffic that can help adsense come like the parking revenue. and 2nd , 3rd years you will see that you are now making a revenue better than adsense

development is not just a small wordpress page or some little mini sites
development want from you the time and the money and much thing and after that you will take arest

be sure if you pay 40k for the great idn games.com you are just wait a person looking to pay 60k for your name and in his opinion to put other 60k in development ((this is the real end user))

but if you are the one who looking to develop the name and you just tried
the lowest cost and budget , remove the site and parking it tel the end user come to you better than your tries in development

Last edited by basel; 14th April 2011 at 06:52 PM..
Old 14th April 2011, 07:00 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Hey guys, this is still really simple ...

If you have a developed site and it goes down for any reason, and you go back to parking, then you are still getting all the visitors from the developed site i.e. you still have the search engine positions plus repeat visitors.

So you have (for a couple of weeks or so) lots of visitors * click trap = lots of income.

But it fades quickly after that back to more normal parking income. Its just a short-term thing. Its a combination of developed site traffic and click trap RPM.

The real world doesn't work like that unfortunately, either for purely parked domains or for developed names with real content on.
Old 14th April 2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Except for single characters perhaps were there is an endless string of traffic looking for goodness knows what. The conventional wisdom is that this traffic does not convert. That assumption appears to be completely wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Hey guys, this is still really simple ...

If you have a developed site and it goes down for any reason, and you go back to parking, then you are still getting all the visitors from the developed site i.e. you still have the search engine positions plus repeat visitors.

So you have (for a couple of weeks or so) lots of visitors * click trap = lots of income.

But it fades quickly after that back to more normal parking income. Its just a short-term thing. Its a combination of developed site traffic and click trap RPM.

The real world doesn't work like that unfortunately, either for purely parked domains or for developed names with real content on.
Old 14th April 2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Except for single characters perhaps were there is an endless string of traffic looking for goodness knows what. The conventional wisdom is that this traffic does not convert. That assumption appears to be completely wrong.
It just depends what you put in front of people. If it is content, they click on content primarily, and very rarely on ads. If it is just ads, they click on ads quite alot.

And yeah, for single characters, people just seem to run off, no matter what you put up. One day I'll put up a "customer survey" on a 1-letter domain that gets 300 visits and 1 click a day to see what the heck people are typing the domain for.
Old 14th April 2011, 10:52 PM

dave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished road

The website was well developed with over 2000 games (translated to Hebrew). From my stats I could see that there was a nice amount of traffic that is coming from typin.

When links are broken google drops you very fast… so all the traffic is from typin or bookmarks.

The site will be live again next week. Parking was done out of curiosity.

Last edited by dave_5; 14th April 2011 at 10:52 PM..
Old 14th April 2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_5 View Post
The website was well developed with over 2000 games (translated to Hebrew). From my stats I could see that there was a nice amount of traffic that is coming from typin.

When links are broken google drops you very fast… so all the traffic is from typin or bookmarks.

Yep but even most of the type-in traffic comes from the site dev i.e. it is people typing in trying to find where the site they used to plan fun games on has gone to. Its just a guess on my part, but I guess these type of "where has the site gone" people are very likely to click through the ads, in a "desperate search" for what has disappeared.

And don't forget, there are other forms of traffic as well. Incoming links to your site, mentions in emails etc. etc.

Last edited by domainguru; 14th April 2011 at 11:43 PM..
Old 15th April 2011, 12:13 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Hi,

I own [Games].com in Hebrew a flash games website with Google Adsense ads.

Three months ago the site was down due to some database error. Out of curiosity I decided to try park the site with Google for few days just to try.

While the site was active I tried various ad formats, colors and locations on page etc. My conclusion is that visitors (kids?) just don’t click on ads that much and you really need lots of traffic.

Site active: average $1 per day
Parked: average $5 per day (with minimal traffic)

Anyone here encountered similar data?

We all know the benefits and importance of developing…. But for now I’m with Google.

Thanks!
AFAIK that's against every parking company TOS. You can't drive traffic to parked pages.
Old 15th April 2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
AFAIK that's against every parking company TOS. You can't drive traffic to parked pages.
What about the zillions of parked domains that are "driving" traffic because they have old links to them?

Be serious, domain parking companies love all kinds of traffic. No traffic no business.
Old 15th April 2011, 03:20 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Out of curiosity what's your local google serp for this domain? If it's not that high yet, try putting more effort into SEO. If you can attain #1-3 on serp, then you will gain substantially way more traffic. Even with a CTR of 1-3% and ppc of 1-3 cents, you should still be able to generate quite decently with a prime game keyword that has massive search volume. When my เกมส์.com (games.com in Thai) rose on google.co.th serp from #3 to #1 briefly, traffic pretty much trippled. Hopefully this gives you some hope with your game site development

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 15th April 2011 at 03:44 AM..