IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st April 2011, 04:43 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about
Apple iPhone, iPad Secretly Record Locations

§ At a conference in Santa Clara, California, two British scientists, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, revealed on Wednesday that the iPhone 4 and iPad 3G records the users movements and stores the information in easy-access files.
§ The tracker is embedded inside Apple Inc.’s newest iphone software, iOS 4, and on iPads with a cellular plan. The data are stored in the device and automatically backed up on the user’s computer. The detailed trail appears to only exist on the owner’s devices and is not stored by Apple.
§ Allan and Warden explained at the conference that Apple has made it possible for anyone from a jealous spouse to a private investigator to get a detailed picture of a person’s movements.
§ Allan also said he found no sign of a location tracker on smartphones with the Android platform.
Sources:
Newspapers: “Been somewhere you shouldn’t?” Toronto Star, Lesley Ciarula, A1
Old 21st April 2011, 06:29 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Apple iPhone, iPad Secretly Record Locations

Anyone that is surprised by that does not have a clue about cell phone technology. Thats how cells work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
§ At a conference in Santa Clara, California, two British scientists, Alasdair Allan and Pete Warden, revealed on Wednesday that the iPhone 4 and iPad 3G records the users movements and stores the information in easy-access files.
§ The tracker is embedded inside Apple Inc.’s newest iphone software, iOS 4, and on iPads with a cellular plan. The data are stored in the device and automatically backed up on the user’s computer. The detailed trail appears to only exist on the owner’s devices and is not stored by Apple.
§ Allan and Warden explained at the conference that Apple has made it possible for anyone from a jealous spouse to a private investigator to get a detailed picture of a person’s movements.
§ Allan also said he found no sign of a location tracker on smartphones with the Android platform.
Sources:
Newspapers: “Been somewhere you shouldn’t?” Toronto Star, Lesley Ciarula, A1
Old 21st April 2011, 07:00 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Anyone that is surprised by that does not have a clue about cell phone technology. Thats how cells work.
Seem's like Android platforms don't work like that.
Old 21st April 2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

This story is about the phone itself keeping a record of where you've been on your own device.

You'd be a fool not to think the carrier has records of your locations as well, based on data that you send them when connected. Doesn't matter what phone you use.
Old 21st April 2011, 07:30 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
dito!
Old 21st April 2011, 07:44 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
dito!
Those phones are tracking your every move.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 21st April 2011 at 07:45 PM..
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:17 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Just use this: http://apt.thebigboss.org/onepackage...untrackerd&db=
Old 22nd April 2011, 01:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Try this: http://petewarden.github.com/iPhoneTracker/
Old 22nd April 2011, 02:20 AM
Veteran

What I posted is an app to avoid that.

I don't see the problem, those logs are yours and private.

It reminds me when some dude made huge news (went all the way till CNN) saying he had a database with 1 million emails from Facebook users. THOSE EMAILS WERE PUBLIC!

Last edited by jose; 22nd April 2011 at 02:20 AM..
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:56 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Seem's like Android platforms don't work like that.
Just add your name to the clueless. IPod was basically everything an IPhone was without the phone. So it had the same operating system. Android is an operating system, not a phone network. Phone networks need to know where you were last, in order to find you. If you move locations it takes longer and lot more resources to track you down. If Android phones operate in a way in which the network forgets where you are then they are going to bloody slow and inefficient. I suggest they are not, so you must simply have your facts wrong.
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Just add your name to the clueless. IPod was basically everything an IPhone was without the phone. So it had the same operating system. Android is an operating system, not a phone network. Phone networks need to know where you were last, in order to find you. If you move locations it takes longer and lot more resources to track you down. If Android phones operate in a way in which the network forgets where you are then they are going to bloody slow and inefficient. I suggest they are not, so you must simply have your facts wrong.

I am getting my facts from 2 British scientists in the article.

Quote from the article:

"Allan also said he found no sign of a location tracker on smartphones with the Android platform."

This is not about what the phone networks are doing, this article relates to jealous spouses and private investigators who don't have access to the phone network data they can just borrow your phone for few minutes and download the file to see where you've been.

Last edited by DktoInc; 22nd April 2011 at 09:26 AM..
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I am getting my facts from 2 British scientists in the article.

Quote from the article:

"Allan also said he found no sign of a location tracker on smartphones with the Android platform."
OK, so your phone doesn't keep a record of what it has told others anyway. What exactly is the big deal? Either way your location is logged everytime you send data over the network.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about Apple. They are American so unless you live in California, they probably wouldn't understand what it meant anyway.
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:30 AM

who is worried about apple when you have a gf going through the phone to see where you've been. Trust me that will be the last Apple phone you bought. Jose and Blast are sharing links because they've probably been through this already. hehe

Last edited by DktoInc; 22nd April 2011 at 09:36 AM..
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
who is worried about apple when you have a gf going through the phone to see where you've been. Trust me that will be the last Apple phone you bought.
I guess I am chilled out because other than my works phone over which I have no say, the only phone I use personally is ten years old, and even then, I don't use it. It is now a pay as you go, and is just used to download Orange Wednesday. I can'even remember the last time I topped it up.

Seems to me that people get a bit skewed with their priorities though. Everytime you use a bloody Sat Nav, then somebody is tracking where you are going. Many Apple Apps which people want to use will not work without this tracking technology. Personally, I distrust anything American, but we have just got an iPad2, because there was no sensible alternative. Bloody thing is in use 24/7. I guess as soon as we hit the 3G, then everyone knows that we are out.
Old 22nd April 2011, 03:38 PM
Veteran

Then again, what were you saying about Android?

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...cation_too.php
Old 22nd April 2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
who is worried about apple when you have a gf going through the phone to see where you've been. Trust me that will be the last Apple phone you bought. Jose and Blast are sharing links because they've probably been through this already. hehe
I found my girlfriend one morning reading all my email. You've got a lot of ****** domain renewals she said.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:18 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

most of the advanced location based services with 3G ...
are in Finland, Korea, Japan, and singapore...

ipad/itouch/iphone/ipod tracking is in Apple's interest...and is broadly defined in the TOS....
it is also in the Android/ MS/ Nokia/ Samsung/LG/ HTC/ Motorola/ RIM TOS's as well.

celltower radios and backhaul infrastructure is designed to know where you are if your radio....scratch that.....phone is on.....

s/

Last edited by sbe18; 22nd April 2011 at 07:19 PM..
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Then again, what were you saying about Android?

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...cation_too.php

:D aaaa the next day story, I wonder how the Brits missed that one.
Old 23rd April 2011, 03:35 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
I found my girlfriend one morning reading all my email. You've got a lot of ****** domain renewals she said.
ROTFLOL
Old 24th April 2011, 05:09 PM
Veteran

WARNING: Word Processor Keeps Keyboard Data

This is totally serious. You should be aware that, for years now, just about every commercial word processing program on the market [1], and a number of the open source ones as well, have been intercepting your keystrokes, storing them, and even displaying them *on the screen*!

Email programs are even worse, since a number of them will actually send your keystrokes to someone else, *over the Internet*! [2]

[1] Except for Word, which simply collates random data.
[2] Except for Outlook, which regularly deletes all stored data.