IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names

IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   ICANN's Congress hearing in 10 min (10am est time) (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/29134-icanns-congress-hearing-in-10-min-10am-est-time.html)

555 4th May 2011 01:50 PM

ICANN's Congress hearing in 10 min (10am est time)

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/hear_05022011.html

Kent99 4th May 2011 02:34 PM

Re: ICANN's Congress hearing in 10 min (10am est time)

A bit about the Coalition For Online Accountability and their position:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/competi...o4Ad1aqVFe.pdf

"COA consists of nine leading copyright industry companies, trade associations and
member organizations of copyright owners. These are the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP); the Business Software Alliance (BSA); Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI); the Entertainment Software Association (ESA); the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA); the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA); the Software and Information Industry Association (SIIA); Time Warner Inc.; and the Walt Disney Company."

Coalition Against Domain Name Abuse
=Large corporate interests pretending to be a public interest group

NetChoice's members:

AOL
American Vintners Association
Association for Competitive Technology
eBay
Electronic Retailing Association
Expedia
IAC
Internet Alliance
NewsCorp
Oracle
Overstock.com
VeriSign
Yahoo!
The Wine Institute

Pharos Global
President and CEO is Michael Palage. His bio is here:
http://www.circleid.com/members/2074

"...an expert witness in several Internet legal proceedings on behalf of such clients as 3M, Ford Motor Company, NCAA, and the Florida Attorney General."

555 4th May 2011 03:23 PM

This is just unbelievable...so after all these years the Congress guy is asking:
"Who's against this whole new gTLD thing, how is it 'new', how is it innovative?

Basically he heard even from the TM rep. that the only new thing is IDN's, for people to use they're own languages...

I hope this will help ICANN finally treat existing IDN gTLD's with the attention they deserve and not as a side unit to some new gtld 'process' with very little innovation in it.

Not fun to be Kurt Pritz right now, mostly they show very little understanding (the congress speakers) but that was obvious just never thought it would be so pathetic.

squirrel 4th May 2011 03:48 PM

Pritz guessing 20% of all new gTLDs will be non-ascii

squirrel 4th May 2011 04:49 PM

Chairman's closing words strongly advising to postpone the June 20th date for the launch of the applicant guidebook.

Kent99 4th May 2011 04:53 PM

Mr. Watt doesn't think there is anything innovative with the new gTLD program.

"Maybe I'm just missing something here."

Umm, yeah

555 4th May 2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kent99 (Bericht 180156)
Mr. Watt doesn't think there is anything innovative with the new gTLD program.

"Maybe I'm just missing something here."

Umm, yeah

I would be ashamed to sit in a position like that and spit so much shit in so little time. It's ok not to know but why people find it so easy to say so much about something they know very little of?

squirrel 4th May 2011 04:59 PM

I'm pretty sure someone will put it in writing for Mr. Congressman Mel Watt that the innovative part is the IDN gTLDs.

+ is it just me or the whole committee seemed paranoid about China.

555 4th May 2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel (Bericht 180158)
I'm pretty sure someone will put it in writing for Mr. Congressman Mel Watt that the innovative part is the IDN gTLDs.

+ is just me or the whole committee seemed paranoid about China.

Or rather the whole (most of) the committee chose to 'erase' everyone but and chose to only portray they're justified worries of the options the Chinese government has...

I think the Chinese gov't were very patient and helpful to the ICANN IDN process. Not sure what is the main reason to that but i guess because they also understand this whole internet thing just isn't the same when split.

domainguru 4th May 2011 05:09 PM

hey dudes, this is America, they only care about the rest of the world when it (a) attacks them, or (b) has oil. IDNs? Give me a break. They don't give a f**k

555 4th May 2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel (Bericht 180158)
Congressman Mel Watt

Born and raised in North Carolina it seems, no international experience mentioned in his biography and as a life long member of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) his words sound even worst.

squirrel 4th May 2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 555 (Bericht 180161)
no international experience mentioned in his biography

He doesn't have to have any because he, by association, invented the internet. As are all the other American people of this universe. ;)

On a positive note, it seemed clear that the Congressmen, especially the Chairman, did want the ICANN model to succeed and not see the internet fall under the control of a UN-like body. The committee advisors (or whoever is knowledgeable in tech matters and advises the Congressmen) will probably understand that rolling out IDNs is good way to preserve the ICANN model.

--------------
Anybody in China that has been working on variant issues and all that for the past years, then waiting for ICANN to move, is probably über pissed.

555 4th May 2011 05:31 PM

Do you think that today's hearing would cause June 20 set date to be postponed?

squirrel 4th May 2011 06:10 PM

No idea. Behind the scenes politics(?) may have it postponed.. but for what reasons ? Pritz said it numerous times, every concern has been raised and discussed at length.. how would you justify more delay ?

Going back to our conversation we had earlier this year, I think now could be a good time to ask for a spin off of IDN gTLDs. They're the TLDs that make the most sense. Everyone agrees on that, the Pope agrees too. It would allow for a limited first round of new TLDs to roll out, thus limited impact of TM owners + the opportunity to use the data of the rollout for yet another case study on the economic impacts of new gTLDs. win-win-win (?)

Drewbert 4th May 2011 07:03 PM

And they already have a process in place called the ccTLD fast-track. All they need to do is duplicate that for IDN gTLD variants for existing gTLD's.

Simples!

Emil 4th May 2011 07:05 PM

can someone please enlighten someone as ignorant as me and explain why would US congress be involved in these matters? pardon my ignorance again

sarcle 4th May 2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domainguru (Bericht 180160)
IDNs? Give me a break. They don't give a f**k

They'll care when it's US companies start complaining they own all translits and translations as well (i.e. IDN). And are pissed they don't have them.

It's like Amazon and Apple fighting over what a generic term is. Irony?

But yeah, so far IDN isn't even on their radar. It will be though.

sarcle 4th May 2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel (Bericht 180165)
Going back to our conversation we had earlier this year, I think now could be a good time to ask for a spin off of IDN gTLDs. They're the TLDs that make the most sense. Everyone agrees on that, the Pope agrees too.

Seriously, the Pope spoke out on IDN? Where the hell was I?

555 4th May 2011 10:51 PM

Click on the name of the speaker to get the testimonies: http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/hear_05022011.html

Steve DelBianco:

When the gTLD expansion plan began to bog-down, it looked as if IDN domains would
be delayed, too. In reaction to governments’ concerns about this delay, ICANN created a ‘fast
track’ for IDNs – but only for country-code domains that are controlled by governments.
In November 2009, ICANN launched the “fast track” for Country Code domains (ccTLDs), but
generic domains (such as .com and .org ) were left on the slow track when it comes to serving
the half of the world’s population that doesn’t use our alphabet. Websites seeking to reach
non-Latin users now must use a country-code domain, where governments can enforce local
restrictions on domain ownership and site content.
For example, an Arabic user seeking to access YouTube.com in all-Arabic could only
choose from among Arabic versions of YouTube domain that were permitted by governments
who control Arabic country-code domains (youtube.sy in Syria; youtube.ly in Libya; etc.) It
would undoubtedly be more convenient and empowering for Arabic users to access the global,
generic address youtube.com -- entirely in Arabic.
But ICANN’s ccTLD fast track gave government-controlled ccTLDs a two-year head start
against IDN versions of generic TLDs in terms of building market share of registrations and
mindshare of Internet users. While non-government applicants can propose IDN versions of
new gTLDs, they may find it hard to justify a million dollar investment to reach small linguistic
communities, particularly if ICANN’s fast-track let a ccTLD get there first.
In the upcoming round of new gTLDs, ICANN should actively promote and support
gTLDs for small linguistic communities – particularly IDN scripts. ICANN can start by expanding
its communications plan to educate global governments, businesses, and users about the ways
that new gTLDs can serve local language communities

Steven Metalitz:

By contrast, the Phase II report indicated, “differentiated offerings” seem much more
likely to provide public benefits, and to impose fewer external costs. This favorable balance may
be most striking for gTLDs that use non-Latin character scripts (sometimes referred to as 4
Internationalized Domain Names, or “top level IDNs”).

555 4th May 2011 11:19 PM

The phase 2 report: http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-g...03dec10-en.pdf

This and more in it:

First, although many of the benefits
associated with Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) can be realized through the use of
second-level IDNs, the benefits of top-level IDNs derived from reduced confusion, increased
convenience, and the psychic benefits of inclusion could be meaningful.