IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2011, 05:05 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
Adsense Ads Being Delayed on IDNs with IE8?

Since about a few weeks ago adsense ads were serving well on my site, เกมส์.com , but recently there appears to be delays of 30 secs to a minute on some of the ad slots when using IE8. This, however, doesn't happen when the site is viewed using Firefox, goolgle or even IE7.

I have checked a few other Thai idn sites including ร้านผ้าม่าน.com and the site experiences the same issue. Is this only happening with just with Thai IDNs or other languages too? Any solution for this? Adsense support has been contacted a few times already but so far havn't heard back from them on how this can be fixed. Anyone else has any suggestion or going through the same problem?
Old 11th May 2011, 06:04 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough
Re: Adsense Ads Being Delayed on IDNs with IE8?

I've actually noticed something similar with a couple of my Greek IDNs with the adsense taking forever to load up on them - whereas other sites of mine have the adsense loaded instantly.

Not sure if its an issue related solely to IDNs - but it is something I have noticed recently. I just assumed that my IE was playing up and didn't give it much notice, but what you describe is exactly what I am seeing as well.

However, on my sites I use one set of "text links" from Adsense, and these are loading up straight away with no delay - where as the other ads are the ones taking longer.

Old 11th May 2011, 08:53 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Oops!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13356961
Old 11th May 2011, 04:05 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexd View Post
I've actually noticed something similar with a couple of my Greek IDNs with the adsense taking forever to load up on them - whereas other sites of mine have the adsense loaded instantly.

Not sure if its an issue related solely to IDNs - but it is something I have noticed recently. I just assumed that my IE was playing up and didn't give it much notice, but what you describe is exactly what I am seeing as well.

However, on my sites I use one set of "text links" from Adsense, and these are loading up straight away with no delay - where as the other ads are the ones taking longer.
Thanks Alex, it appears this may have something to do with Google introducing new technology recently to serve ads as per here: http://adsense.blogspot.com/2011/03/...sense-for.html . Using a non IDN alias (with no redirection) of เกมส์.com (games.com in Thai), all the adsense ads load instantly. I have also observed when there is only 1 adsense slot on any IDN site, the slow loading issue doesn't happpen with IE8 either.

For IDNers in other languages, are you experiencing the same issue? My first tech support to adsense on this issue was in early April and so far not a word from them.
Old 11th May 2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
Thanks Wot, but the above link appears to talk about Google manipulating its search results to promote its own services, and discourage firms from advertising with other search engines. So I am not sure if this has any connection with the current issue with adsense not displaying ads quickly on IE8 when there is more than 1 adsense slot on any page. To me, it appears to be a bug with google's new implentation of their adsense serving system in the attempt to make things faster. I think they may have accomplished that for ASCII domains but for IDNs, this is causing loss revenue when viewers see blank ads upto 30 secs to a min.
Old 11th May 2011, 04:37 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

I've noticed the same thing recently.
Seems to be working fine on ie9 since downloading it yesterday ( which, btw, looks like a copy of Opera...)
Old 11th May 2011, 05:11 PM

Yeah adsense ads load instantly on IE7 and IE9 for me as well. I am not sure about your traffic's country of origin. But in Thailand, the majority of internet users are using IE8 now so this is affecting my ad revenue quite a bit. Specifically for เกมส์.com (Games.com in Thai), my visitors' browsers are:

1. MSIE 8.0 45.13%
2. MSIE 7.0 19.24%
3. MSIE 6.0 13.10%
4. Chrome 8.50%
5) Firefox 8.37%
6) Others 5.66%

...so 45.13% of the time, some of the adsense slots on my site experience delayed ad display.
Old 11th May 2011, 05:44 PM
Premium User

basel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished roadbasel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to basel

its happened with my sites too in arabic language idns
Old 11th May 2011, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Pop up a "download IE9" window whenever an IE8 browser visits.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:36 PM

Thanks Drew. If adsense doesn't fix this soon, that might be one of the options to consider. We did try to do something similar to what you suggested a few years ago when most Thais were using ie6 by trying to get them to upgrade to ie7 but a lot of kids used to play games from school computer labs and game shops so the strategy wasn't as effective as hoped back then.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 11th May 2011 at 10:36 PM..