IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Internationalized Domain Names > Site Suggestions & Feedback

Site Suggestions & Feedback We would like to hear what you think might make the site better or any feedback.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2006, 04:20 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Bartering Domains

A Proposal for a new Forum on IDNForums:

One person's trash can be another person's treasure.

As you probably have noticed by now, there are a lot of people who keep very open eyes to the .com’s people post in here and keep registering .net versions on the fly.

Don’t you think it would be fair if the .com owners, who did all the research and found the domain in the first place, could take some profit or credit form that?

That’s why I thought about this: Bartering Domains!

Imagine you have just found a great niche domain and don’t want to register both the .com and .net or even the .tv, .cn or .de version. For several reasons: to leverage your risk, due to lack of founds, or else. You maybe even still have some .coms left on your list!

Why not Barter them?

Here are the rules you have to follow:

1. You have to post a complete info on the domain you want to barter. Example:
Language: Korean
Subject: Technology
TLD: .net
Goggle “ “ value: 124.400.300
Yahoo “ “ value: 135.400.290
US OVT: 0
KR OVT: 120.345
KR Bids: 4 bids, max bid $40
Trademark or Typo: No

2. You must also post a complete info of what you want for it:
Language: Spanish, French
Subject: any
Goggle “ “ value: > 5.000.000
Yahoo “ “ value: > 10.000.000
US OVT: any
FR OVT: > 10.000
FR OVT Bids: > 0

3. The first PM you receive with a domain that completely fits parameters on 2, YOU HAVE to:
3.a Give your domain back to the user that PM you
3.b. Post on forums: Domain Bartered!

4. The person, who sends a PM, must post that on the forum in order to avoid more people sending PM with available domains and thus revealing them. If it all goes well, the first PM solves the issue, but in case it doesn’t fit the parameters requested, that should be posted on the forum and the Barter process is open again

In case you don't like the domain you receive, don't register it, keep it and barter it again for another one till you get one you like.

Opinions? Olney?

So, no replies?

Last edited by jose; 17th May 2006 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19th May 2006, 04:35 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Re: Bartering Domains

I'll start this.

I have:
Language: French
Subject: Finance
Goggle “ “ value: 38,000
473.973 OVT FR Inventory (singular noum version)
33 OVT FR Bids
€3,97 OVT FR High Bid

I want:
Language: any
Subject: any
Goggle “ “ value: > 10.000.000
OVT: > 100.000
OVT Bids: > 0

Last edited by jose; 19th May 2006 at 04:50 PM..
Old 19th May 2006, 05:09 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose
[As you probably have noticed by now, there are a lot of people who keep very open eyes to the .com’s people post in here and keep registering .net versions on the fly.
Anyone that registers a .net behind you makes YOUR .com more valuable. I would rather a forum member gets my .nets than it go to someone I don't remotely know. Especially all the "robots" that hoover around the forum and do not join as members or support posts and sharing info, just picking up ideas and angles.

Most everyone here does lots of research to find names, many share by p.m. or lists, others like to post in public. If you do post, the .net is up for grabs. If you don't like that, don't post or register both!

If your idn name is that "great"- register the .net as well, and then sell it, even for $15 and get "your" .com for free as this will pay for both names.

Also, your idea for barter is a good one...especially for those wanting to diversify their portfolio.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 19th May 2006 at 05:12 PM..
Old 19th May 2006, 06:59 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

As you probably have noticed by now, there are a lot of people who keep very open eyes to the .com’s people post in here and keep registering .net versions on the fly.

Don’t you think it would be fair if the .com owners, who did all the research and found the domain in the first place, could take some profit or credit form that?
Do it all the time without any shame whatsoever. Once the information is out there, it is going to happen.

I share some information publicly, other information is share privately, and some information goes for long periods without it being shared at all.

If I share publicly, I expect the public to take advantage. If I share privately then it depends on the circumstances, but it is usually do on the basis of handing out pointers. If someone has asked for you opinion on a potential acquisiton it would be unethical and counterproductive to try to beat them to punch. Other than that, this really is not an area that is given to the implementation of complex moral codes.

All I expect of people is that if they make a contract to buy or sell that they honour those commitments. The top players understand the importance of this. That is why they are the top players.

Ask yourself, how fair it is to hand information and then expect others to sit on their hands, whilst you make no effort to secure the goods, especially when we are often operating in the fog of war, anyway.

People have accused me of displaying my portfolio in arrogant way, others regard it as sharing. Sometimes you just cannot bloody win. It is best to keep rules simple and to a minimum.
Old 19th May 2006, 07:00 PM

dabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgydabsi is a tad dodgy

In deed they are a lot of 'robots' around....

Not a coincidence that some of our french IDNs and arabic one have been suddenly registred in other extensions during the last 6 weeks.

That's the market, difficult to identify the creatives and the copy-pasters.
The market (not only IDNs) is on the way to be cleaned; and hopefully we will see all these last-minute-domainers drying....by measures taken by GOOGLE.

Overture + Dictionary + Credi card - local knowledge= bankruptcy

DABSI
Old 19th May 2006, 07:09 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsi
In deed they are a lot of 'robots' around....

Not a coincidence that some of our french IDNs and arabic one have been suddenly registred in other extensions during the last 6 weeks.

That's the market, difficult to identify the creatives and the copy-pasters.
The market (not only IDNs) is on the way to be cleaned; and hopefully we will see all these last-minute-domainers drying....by measures taken by GOOGLE.

Overture + Dictionary + Credi card - local knowledge= bankruptcy

DABSI
Well if they have only been nabbed fairly recently, then perhaps they weren't that hot. Even if they were, however, we register generics because nobody has a claim on them. If that is so they you cannot expect to either.

Don't in the words or George Bush "Misunderestimate" what is coming. Even now their is enough traffic in some markets for the Data Miners to make a start. They won't give a stuff about Overture, Dictionaries, Local Knowledge or Credit Cards. And they won't go bust either!
Old 19th May 2006, 07:25 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

I must concur. and I am guilty if this was a crime.

If you want the .net or cctld then reg it yourself

If you don't, then don't complain when others do. Whether it is taken as a result of tailgating you putting up your .com, or at a later unrelated time - the result is the same.

If you Snooze you lose. It's a simple hard cold fact. Whether you like it or not, will not change it.

If however I am asked not to "tailgate" someones lists, then I will honour my word. Such an example of this is where I was asking for $5k russian names for sale. I made it a condition that I wouldn't reg any.

What surprised me was the amount of .nets available for names that people thought the .com was worth upwards of 5k.. but that's another subject entirely.
Old 19th May 2006, 07:54 PM

vgemito is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Do it all the time without any shame whatsoever. Once the information is out there, it is going to happen.

I share some information publicly, other information is share privately, and some information goes for long periods without it being shared at all.

If I share publicly, I expect the public to take advantage. If I share privately then it depends on the circumstances, but it is usually do on the basis of handing out pointers. If someone has asked for you opinion on a potential acquisiton it would be unethical and counterproductive to try to beat them to punch. Other than that, this really is not an area that is given to the implementation of complex moral codes.

All I expect of people is that if they make a contract to buy or sell that they honour those commitments. The top players understand the importance of this. That is why they are the top players.

Ask yourself, how fair it is to hand information and then expect others to sit on their hands, whilst you make no effort to secure the goods, especially when we are often operating in the fog of war, anyway.

People have accused me of displaying my portfolio in arrogant way, others regard it as sharing. Sometimes you just cannot bloody win. It is best to keep rules simple and to a minimum.
You can't improve on RD's rationale.

I tailgated today: टेलीफ़ोन.net.

Stop me before I kill again!

Regards
Old 19th May 2006, 09:36 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

LIke Bill Said Tailgating the .Net Only Increases the value of youre Dot Com, Take it as a Compliment and dont cry about it , If you feel the name is that good ! Buy the .Net and Sell it or Auction it, Its That simple , Chances are if you never bought the Net in the First place you wont buy it anyway, Jose has a pretty neat Idea IMO , But it should be a choice if people want to participate not a standard.

It Just seems some people suffer from you dont know what you got till its gone, But in all actuality you never had it because you Never bought It , But Jose i would particapte in youre program just because it seems like something interesting to add to the forum and seems like a Lottery and it would be fun ! It wouldnt be All about protectecting from other forum members to not take the Nets of my domains becuase if i Dont want anybody to be tipped off I wont post it.

Last edited by thegenius1; 19th May 2006 at 09:40 PM..
Old 19th May 2006, 10:08 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

There is nothing wrong in tailgating. The very fact that a domain is posted for appraisal brings satisfaction and pride to the owner, and nothing is free in this world.

However, i would suggest restrain as .nets get very little traffic, in most cases 2-5% of the .com, and so the value will be significantly lesser than the .com equivalent.
Old 19th May 2006, 10:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
suffer from you dont know what you got till its gone
It can hurt a lot thegenius. The worst months of my life was when my girlfriend left me. She wanted to marry but I didn't, so she left.
Old 20th May 2006, 01:54 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
However, i would suggest restrain as .nets get very little traffic, in most cases 2-5% of the .com, and so the value will be significantly lesser than the .com equivalent.
Who "types in" or searches with the extension? If I want a hotel in Hong Kong- I type in <hotel-hong kong> , not <hotel hong kong.com>. I think good .nets are excellent second choices for end users. Nothing the matter with software.net or freegames.net in any language to build a website onto.

I agree that businesses and (especially) domainers like .com, but it is also a fact that search engines like "relevance" to the search word requested, and that puts words that MATCH the requested search term, regardless of extension in contention for high page rank.

Develop an outstanding website, create multiple links, advertising, SEO and your .nets or .info etc. can stand right up there with the best of them. Still not worth as much as a .com in the ascii game. We'll just have to see how it all plays out to a whole new audience with idns, and cheaper technology to deliver the internet to the masses on the way.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 20th May 2006 at 02:10 AM..
Old 20th May 2006, 02:25 AM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc
Who "types in" or searches with the extension? If I want a hotel in Hong Kong- I type in <hotel-hong kong> , not <hotel hong kong.com>. I think good .nets are excellent second choices for end users. Nothing the matter with software.net or freegames.net in any language to build a website onto.

I agree that businesses and (especially) domainers like .com, but it is also a fact that search engines like "relevance" to the search word requested, and that puts words that MATCH the requested search term, regardless of extension in contention for high page rank.

Develop an outstanding website, create multiple links, advertising, SEO and your .nets or .info etc. can stand right up there with the best of them. Still not worth as much as a .com in the ascii game. We'll just have to see how it all plays out to a whole new audience with idns, and cheaper technology to deliver the internet to the masses on the way.
Bill you stole the words out of my mouth Verbatim , I got into a agrument the other day in Ascii land about people searching on Search engines with extentions , I was telling them that is complete Udder B.S .... If sombody knows they want HongKongHotel.com Why in the World would they be on goolge searching for HongKongHotel.com they would go straight to the Website , The Dot Nets will be fine and for the Record 1 month I had a Dot Net with the more traffic than a very similiar .com
Old 20th May 2006, 05:27 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

For what it is worth, anyone who sees me reveal one of my domains in .com should feel free to take the .net if they wish or the .jp or .tv if they wish. It makes mine that much more valuable.
Old 20th May 2006, 05:29 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
If sombody knows they want HongKongHotel.com Why in the World would they be on goolge searching for HongKongHotel.com
They do, they do, they do. I see it every day in my logs.
Old 20th May 2006, 06:35 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegenius1
Bill you stole the words out of my mouth Verbatim , I got into a agrument the other day in Ascii land about people searching on Search engines with extentions , I was telling them that is complete Udder B.S .... If sombody knows they want HongKongHotel.com Why in the World would they be on goolge searching for HongKongHotel.com they would go straight to the Website , The Dot Nets will be fine and for the Record 1 month I had a Dot Net with the more traffic than a very similiar .com
Is this April Fool's day? People do it all the time, its called "type-in traffic". If you have a popular ASCII search-term domain, you can see that people actually type "searchterm.com", either directly into their browser, or into Yahoo, Google etc. That's why ASCII .com search term portfolios are worth millions...

If you are talking about "search engine value", then that's a different ball game altogether, and each TLD is about as "valuable" as the next one.

.nets do get some type-ins, but like touchring says, only a small %.
Old 20th May 2006, 07:25 AM
Veteran

I still remenber the days ie added www. before and .com after when you enter something on the url box.
Old 20th May 2006, 07:31 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I still remenber the days ie added www. before and .com after when you enter something on the url box.
It still does if you press alt-enter I think.
Old 20th May 2006, 08:02 AM
Veteran

It's Ctrl-Return. I ment by default.
Old 20th May 2006, 10:34 AM
Veteran

Quote:
It can hurt a lot thegenius. The worst months of my life was when my girlfriend left me. She wanted to marry but I didn't, so she left.
Well, there you go, proof if ever you need it that you have to commit or loose out.

Having said that I thought divorce was the end of the world. Despite the trauma and the financial ruin, I wouldn't go back now.