IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2011, 11:38 PM

monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Redirecting

I own a japanese .com and .net with the same name. The .com is developed and .net is not. Would it be a good idea to redirect the .net traffic to the .com? If so, how do I do that?
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me

Last edited by monkmonkey; 17th May 2011 at 11:39 PM..
Old 17th May 2011, 11:48 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: Redirecting

I believe you need to do it with 301 redirect which can be found usually around where you change the name servers, easy with dynadot, not so easy with some other registries.
Old 18th May 2011, 12:04 AM

monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road

What is the difference between these two options: 302 Redirect - Temporarily moved
301 Redirect - Permanently moved? What one should I choose?

Old 18th May 2011, 01:35 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

301 redirect is search engine friendly. Use that one.
Old 18th May 2011, 01:37 AM

Got it. Thanks!

Old 18th May 2011, 01:59 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

You could also use your .net as a "jump page" to the com.

Create a simple site/page with info related to the subject, with only one outbound link - to your com.
Old 18th May 2011, 02:34 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
You could also use your .net as a "jump page" to the com.

Create a simple site/page with info related to the subject, with only one outbound link - to your com.
With this strategy, Monk also creates a link juice backlinking to his .com which also helps with SEO right?
Old 18th May 2011, 02:56 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
With this strategy, Monk also creates a link juice backlinking to his .com which also helps with SEO right?
That's what I would do. A ranking site, a info site, a forum on the niche keyword on the .net.
Old 18th May 2011, 08:18 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Just don't stick them on the server else Google will "smell a rat"
Old 18th May 2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
Just don't stick them on the server else Google will "smell a rat"
What do you mean?

Old 18th May 2011, 04:54 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

If you operate the two sites from the same location, shared hosting for example, google will notice. You can't just buy 30 domains and link them together to "create" juice
Old 18th May 2011, 05:37 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

In other words, if the 2 domains are hosted on different ip addresses, the "link juice" will be better. You can still have them on the same server using different ip addresses. Hostgator has hosting solutions with different class ip addresses that are good for SEO. Check out seohosting.com

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 18th May 2011 at 05:41 PM..
Old 18th May 2011, 06:24 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Small correction: different c block
Old 18th May 2011, 07:36 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
In other words, if the 2 domains are hosted on different ip addresses, the "link juice" will be better. You can still have them on the same server using different ip addresses. Hostgator has hosting solutions with different class ip addresses that are good for SEO. Check out seohosting.com
No, they aren't on the same server. They get different IP blocks by having them on multiple servers, normally at multiple locations.
Old 18th May 2011, 08:32 PM

So how do I do this without getting in trouble?

Old 18th May 2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkmonkey View Post
So how do I do this without getting in trouble?
Easy way: pay for 2 services with 2 separate web hosts.
Other way: Find a single web host that offers a service allowing what Jose said, IP addresses on separate C blocks.

Since you aren't particularly technological, I would go with the easy way. Just get 2 accounts with separate hosts. Job done.

But honestly, one link from other domain. Its not worth the cost and effort of setting it up. SEO ain't that easy.
Old 18th May 2011, 10:52 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Having 1 other site on the same IP/host linking to another is OK. Google does index both and that’s the end of the story.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 18th May 2011 at 10:53 PM..
Old 19th May 2011, 03:55 AM

When you grow your network of sites, I would imagine it might be good to take a look at seohosting.com:

SEO Hosting enables webmasters to host websites from one control panel (WHM) and assign each account it's own different Class C IP address.

Each SEO hosting plan comes with private branded nameservers on separate Class C IP addresses.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 19th May 2011 at 03:56 AM..
Old 19th May 2011, 06:56 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast View Post
Having 1 other site on the same IP/host linking to another is OK. Google does index both and that’s the end of the story.
Exactly ! I think in Monk's case, just having the 1 hosting account somewhere with the two sites ( and hopefully more in the future ) all hosted there is the best option for now. Google will not blacklist a site, nor will it harm a websites ranking by having a single link to it from a site on the same server. I understand completely about C-blocks and hosting in different places, but I think for now for Monk, just having everything on a single hosting account will be fine.

(Monk - if you do want to put the single page .net site on a different server than the one hosting the main site, let me know - I have several hosting accounts, and will be more than happy to host the site for you )

Old 19th May 2011, 08:38 AM

Totally agree, having another site on the same server is no "problem". It won't get you blacklisted, banned, and you will get indexed.

However, will you get any Google link juice from it? No.

So its a reasonable thing to do, but not likely to benefit you SEOwize. But then again, one single link from a domain that nobody links to was never going to benefit you SEOwize. Its only links from domains with some PR / authority that will do that.

Best ever SEO advice - build a site people WANT to link to. And forget all this techno mumbo-jumbo Google "beating" advice.