IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2011, 01:47 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Historical idn discussions (Morocco 2006)

ONE OF THE SOLUTIONS WHICH HAS BEEN DEVELOPED FOR SOME OF THESE PROBLEMS IS SOMETHING CALLED A VARIANT MODEL.
THE THEORY IS THAT WITHIN A GIVEN DOMAIN, YOU COLLECT ALL THE LABELS THAT CONTAIN SIMILAR CHARACTERS, AND THEN YOU ADOPT A RULE.
AND THE RULE SAYS IF YOU REGISTER ONE OF THEM AND BLOCK ALL THE OTHERS, OR YOU DECIDE THAT ALL OF THEM BELONG TO THE SAME REGISTRANT AND THEY CAN EITHER BE REGISTERED OR NOT, BUT NOT BY ANYBODY ELSE, OVERSIMPLIFICATION OF A COMPLICATED SYSTEM, BUT IT'S AN INTERESTING AND IMPORTANT IDEA.
THE NOTION OF WHAT CONSTITUTES SIMILAR IN THIS SITUATION IS REGISTRY DEFINED.
IT MIGHT BE APPEARANCE OR MEANING OR SOUND, OR SOMETHING ELSE.
STATUS OF THAT SYSTEM, IT'S BEEN VERY WELL AND STRONGLY DEVELOPED FOR THE LANGUAGES BASED ON THE CHINESE CHARACTER SET.
IT'S GOT SOME OBVIOUS APPLICATIONS FOR FANCY DECORATED ROMAN-BASED CHARACTERS. AND IT'S GOT SOME APPLICATIONS ACROSS SCRIPTS FOR OTHER SCRIPTS.
THE IAB HAS RECOMMENDED THAT PEOPLE NEED TO TAKE A MORE CAREFUL LOOK AT THIS VARIANT SYSTEM IN A VARIETY OF CONTEXTS.
NOT A RECOMMENDATION FOR ANYBODY TO DO ANYTHING, BUT THAT A LOOK AT IT MAY BE APPROPRIATE.
THE VARIANT SYSTEM HAS NO IMPACT ON QUERIES.
IT ONLY AFFECTS STORAGE.
REGISTRATION PROCESSES.
THERE'S A PERCEPTION IN THE USER COMMUNITY THE POLICIES WE HAVE AND THE POLICIES WE ARE LIKELY TO EVOLVE ARE NOT PROTECTIVE ENOUGH OF USERS.
THIS HAS LED TO A REACTION FROM SOFTWARE WRITERS.
SO FAR, THE WEB BROWSER FOLKS, BUT IT WILL GENERALIZE.
AND THEIR REACTIONS ARE TO PROTECT THEIR USERS BY ATTACHING WARNINGS TO NAMES THEY PERCEIVE AS RISKY, OR TO TAKE NAMES THEY CONSIDER RISKY AND RENDER THEM IN PUNYCODE FORM RATHER THAN THEIR NATIVE SCRIPTS, WHICH DEFEATS THE WHOLE VALUE OF IDNS.
OR TO DO OTHER CREATIVE THINGS.
THE DEFINITION OF WHAT CONSTITUTES RISK WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY EVOLVE IN WAYS WHICH DIFFER BY VENDOR.
AND WHEN THEY DIFFER BY VENDOR, WE END UP WITH ASTONISHED USERS, BECAUSE SWITCHING FROM ONE SOFTWARE PACKAGE TO ANOTHER SOFTWARE PACKAGE MEANS DIFFER BEHAVIOR.
WE ALSO END UP WITH ASTONISHED REGISTRANTS, BECAUSE THE NAME THEY THINK THEY HAVE REGISTERED AS AN IDN SOMETIMES LOOK LIKE AN IDN, SOMETIMES LIKE PUNYCODE.
PARTIALLY IT'S A PROBLEM TO FIX, PARTIALLY IT'S A PROBLEM OF EDUCATION.
IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN.

Domain the net forgot to include this part in the comment they sent ICANN a few days ago (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2924...comment.html):

AND THE THIRD POSSIBILITY, WHICH MAKES CURRENTLY CONFUSION TO THE INTERNET USERS, AND THIS IS, I THINK, VERY VISIBLE, AND MY COLLEAGUES FROM VERISIGN, AFILIAS, NEUSTAR CAN SHARE THEIR VIEWS PROBABLY, WHEN THERE IS A THIRD PARTY WHICH OFFERS REGISTRATION UNDER LOCAL DOT COM, DOT NET, DOT ORG, WE HAVE SEVERAL EXAMPLES.
WE HAVE ONE EXAMPLE REGISTERING DOMAIN NAMES IN CYRILLIC IN CYRILLIC DOT COM, DOT NET, DOT ORG.
WE HAVE COMPANY OFFERING DOMAIN NAMES IN KOREAN, IN HEBREW, ET CETERA.
AND WHEN THE USER WHO IS USING SUCH A DOMAIN NAME IS CHANGING THE ISP, OR ESPECIALLY FLYING ABROAD AND MOVING TO U.S. AND TRIES TO RESOLVE SUCH DOMAIN NAME, THERE'S A PROBLEM.
SO THEY ARE CALLING VERISIGN, WHY THE DOMAIN NAME IS NOT RESOLVING.
AND, OF COURSE, IT'S NOT THE VERISIGN OR WHOEVER'S FAULT.
IT IS -- THIS DOMAIN NAME DOES NOT EXIST.

THE OBJECTIVE OF THE PROJECT, AND THAT PERTAINS TO YOUR QUESTION, IS THAT IS THERE CONFUSION WHEN YOU TRY TO SWITCH TO HTTP FROM BEING ABLE TO WRITE IT FULLY IN ARABIC.
THE OBJECTIVE OF THE PROJECT IS TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH TO BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE INTERNET.
I MEAN, THAT'S -- SO IN THAT SENSE, IF YOU ARE MAKING IT ACCESSIBLE FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN LEFT OUT, THESE PEOPLE DON'T NEED TO GO AND WORRY ABOUT TYPING HTTP.
AND WE'VE SOLVED AT LEAST A HUGE OBSTACLE.
AND THEN WE MOVE ON TO THE NEXT OBSTACLE.
SO I HOPE THAT CLARIFIES IT.

http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/mar...ws-26jun06.htm

BUT WHEN WE ADD IDNS TO THIS, WE SUDDENLY HAVE A LOT MORE COMPLEXITY.
SO THE SAME STRING MAY HAVE DIFFERENT MEANINGS FOR PEOPLE IN DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD.
TWO STRINGS THAT ARE TECHNICALLY DIFFERENT, AND BY THAT I MEAN THEY HAVE A DIFFERENT ASCII EQUIVALENT IN THE ROOT, MAY VISUALLY LOOK SIMILAR WHEN WE'RE TRANSLATING IT INTO THE IDN REPRESENTATION.
AND AS I MENTIONED BEFORE, IT STARTS TO GET HARD TO TELL, ARE THESE STRINGS REALLY DIFFERENTIATING OR NOT?
SO HOW MANY STRINGS ARE APPROPRIATE FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AGAIN, COMES UP.
AND SO FORTH.
CONTRACTUAL CONDITIONS.
IN TERMS OF GTLDS, WE HAVE AN ENVIRONMENT WHERE A GTLD OPERATOR ENTERS A CONTRACT WITH THE -- WITH ICANN, AND THE QUESTION IS, WELL, WHAT ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS WOULD THERE BE ON THAT OPERATOR IF THEY WERE OPERATING AN IDN STRING?
AND PROBABLY THE MAIN ONE IS THAT THEY WOULD COMPLY WITH IETF STANDARDS THAT RELATE TO IDNS, AS WELL AS ANY ICANN IDN GUIDELINES.
NOW, THESE ARE SOME OTHER ISSUES THAT DON'T NEATLY FIT INTO ANY OF OUR EXISTING CATEGORIES.
AND SOME OF THESE HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE.
BUT IF YOU HAVE TWO TLD STRINGS FOR THE SAME PURPOSE, SHOULD THE SECOND-LEVEL STRINGS RESOLVE TO THE SAME INTERNET LOCATION?
SO, IN OTHER WORDS, IF I HAD THE DOMAIN NAME BRUCE.NAME, AND I HAD DOT NAME IN A CHINESE CHARACTER EQUIVALENT, SHOULD BRUCE DOT CHINESE CHARACTER EQUIVALENT ACTUALLY GO TO THE SAME PLACE OR NOT?
OR SHOULD THEY BE, EFFECTIVELY, COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT?
ALSO, SHOULD THE SCRIPT USED IN A STRING AT THE SECOND LEVEL MATCH THE SCRIPT USED IN THE STRING AT THE TOP LEVEL?
SO THAT MAY BE I HAVE BRUCE IN LATIN CHARACTERS, DOT NAME IN LATIN CHARACTERS.
IT MAY BE THAT IF I'M GOING TO HAVE DOT NAME IN AN EQUIVALENT CHINESE CHARACTERS, I SHOULD ONLY BE ALLOWED TO HAVE BRUCE IN WHATEVER THE CHINESE CHARACTER'S EQUIVALENT OF THE NAME "BRUCE" IS.
SO THESE ARE SORT OF DIFFERENT OPTIONS.
AND THESE THINGS MAY BE CONSIDERED TO BE SOMETHING THAT'S A CHOICE OF THE TLD OPERATOR TO DECIDE, OR IT MAY BE SOMETHING THAT WE MAY WISH TO MAKE SOME SORT OF POLICY, PARTICULARLY IF IT HELPS USER ACCEPTANCE AND DECREASES SOME OF THE POTENTIAL CONFUSION IN -- AT THE USER LEVEL.
ANOTHER THING, SHOULD THERE BE COMPETITION BETWEEN TWO OPERATORS OF STRINGS FOR THE SAME PURPOSE?
SAY A PARTICULAR COUNTRY MAY DECIDE AT SOME POINT THAT IT WANTS TO HAVE A SEPARATE ORGANIZATION RUN THE STRING IN A DIFFERENT SCRIPT.
DOES THAT ADD ANY BENEFIT?
AGAIN, IS THAT SOMETHING THAT SHOULD JUST BE DEALT WITH AT A LOCAL LEVEL RATHER THAN AT A GLOBAL LEVEL?
WE HAVE SOME EXISTING POLICIES THAT RELATE TO GTLDS, ONE OF WHICH IS A UNIVERSAL DISPUTE RESOLUTION POLICY.
THAT IS LIKELY TO BECOME A LOT MORE COMPLEX AS WE START ADDING ADDITIONAL SCRIPTS BOTH TO THE LEFT AND TO THE RIGHT OF THE DOT.
AND NATURALLY, AS CARY AND OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED, THE SCOPE FOR CONFUSING HUMANS INCREASES, WHICH LEADS TO ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR PHISHING AND SPAM. SO I DON'T THINK THESE ARE THINGS WE WILL BE ABLE TO SOLVE IN THE SHORT TERM, BUT WE NEED TO BE AWARE OF THEM AND PERHAPS TAKE SMALL STEPS FORWARD TO TRY TO MINIMIZE THE SCOPE FOR PROBLEMS IN THE EARLY DAYS SO WE DON'T ADD TOO MANY STRINGS AT ONCE FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WE LEARN WITH JUST MAKING SOME SMALL STEPS FORWARD.
WITH THAT, I WILL TURN IT OVER TO MY COLLEAGUE HOTTA TO GIVE A PERSPECTIVE ON COUNTRY CODES.
>>HIRO HOTTA: THANK YOU, BRUCE. IS IT ON? YES.
LET ME GIVE SOME COMMENTS, ESPECIALLY FROM OUR CCTLD VIEWPOINT.

http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/mar...dn-25jun06.htm
Old 20th May 2011, 01:56 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: Historical idn discussions (Morocco 2006)

More here http://www.icann.org/en/meetings/mar...shop-jun06.htm