IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

View Poll Results: June 20 Final AGB approval
No. 8 42.11%
Yes. 9 47.37%
A partial approval (e.g existing idn gTLD's move forward, ASCII new gtld's wait) 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:40 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Final AGB approval will happen on June 20?

Vote and/or comment
Old 22nd May 2011, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Final AGB approval will happen on June 20?

You forgot: No idea, everything's a crapshoot in the ICANN universe.
Old 23rd May 2011, 02:52 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Encouraged by this announcement, I will make the following predictions:
  • The Applicant Guidebook, and corresponding timeline, will be approved on June 24 (a few days later than currently scheduled).
  • The timeline will involve a lot of waiting (four month communication period, two month application period, one month quiet period, etc).
  • Verisign will apply for the IDN versions of .com and .net, in most scripts, but not all (I think Armenian is at risk of being left out, for instance).
  • Verisign will not receive any subsidies for under-represented scripts.
  • Once the applications are made public (about December 2011), but not before, Verisign will announce (or re-announce, if you count Chuck Gomes' statements in 2010) plans to alias IDN.com to IDN.com-in-IDN, but they will include a lot of disclaimers in case of unpleasant surprises.
  • One unpleasant surprise is that some scripts will be eliminated due to visual similarity (Greek .com is most at risk here, because it is so similar to Russian .com).
  • Another unpleasant surprise is that some second-level names that currently exist as IDN.com will be blocked in IDN.com-in-IDN, because of trademark or country-name concerns.
  • Despite the unpleasant surprises, more than 90% of existing IDN.com domains will be allowed alias to IDN.com-in-IDN, starting in the 3rd quarter of 2012.
OK, those are my predictions. Come back to this thread in 18 months and let me know how I did.

Avtal

P.S. Disclaimer: these are my not-very-informed opinions. Talk to people with more informed opinions before investing any money.
Old 23rd May 2011, 03:27 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

You don't half talk some drivel. Confusion between Aliases is never going to be an issue otherwise Variants would never have been allowed.

Further, this is not about the second level. It never was and never could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
Encouraged by this announcement, I will make the following predictions:
  • The Applicant Guidebook, and corresponding timeline, will be approved on June 24 (a few days later than currently scheduled).
  • The timeline will involve a lot of waiting (four month communication period, two month application period, one month quiet period, etc).
  • Verisign will apply for the IDN versions of .com and .net, in most scripts, but not all (I think Armenian is at risk of being left out, for instance).
  • Verisign will not receive any subsidies for under-represented scripts.
  • Once the applications are made public (about December 2011), but not before, Verisign will announce (or re-announce, if you count Chuck Gomes' statements in 2010) plans to alias IDN.com to IDN.com-in-IDN, but they will include a lot of disclaimers in case of unpleasant surprises.
  • One unpleasant surprise is that some scripts will be eliminated due to visual similarity (Greek .com is most at risk here, because it is so similar to Russian .com).
  • Another unpleasant surprise is that some second-level names that currently exist as IDN.com will be blocked in IDN.com-in-IDN, because of trademark or country-name concerns.
  • Despite the unpleasant surprises, more than 90% of existing IDN.com domains will be allowed alias to IDN.com-in-IDN, starting in the 3rd quarter of 2012.
OK, those are my predictions. Come back to this thread in 18 months and let me know how I did.

Avtal

P.S. Disclaimer: these are my not-very-informed opinions. Talk to people with more informed opinions before investing any money.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 23rd May 2011 at 03:30 AM..
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:54 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
You don't half talk some drivel.
For those readers not familiar with the British "isn't half" idiom: RD is saying that I am talking drivel (nonsense).

Keep in mind that RD has been investing in IDNs, and advising others about IDNs, since 2005 or so. He has a solid record of achievement in the field. I only started registering IDNs in 2009, and have a solid record of, well, what? Give our opinions the appropriate weight.

Nevertheless, I stand by my predictions, and I'll take the opportunity to add one more, which I forgot the first time around:
  • For certain scripts, the approval of Verisign's application will be delayed by several months, due to claims by other companies that they own the trademark for ".com" in that script. But in the end, Verisign will prevail.

Avtal

P.S. Statement of financial interest: I own a fair number of IDN .com domains. I continue to acquire more.
Old 23rd May 2011, 08:30 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

I agree that ICANN will do everything it can not to get involved in the policies of the second level.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 23rd May 2011 at 08:30 AM..
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:30 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Old 24th May 2011, 12:02 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Old 24th May 2011, 01:40 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

ICANN stands to make huge $$$$$$. I don't see this not passing.

Though, I don't understand this 4 month communication period. WTF?
Old 24th May 2011, 01:48 AM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
For certain scripts, the approval of Verisign's application will be delayed by several months, due to claims by other companies that they own the trademark for ".com" in that script. But in the end, Verisign will prevail.

Avtal
This is the lawsuit I see coming. Verisign will win of course. But it could throw in a monkey wrench for some time. Verisign has allowed for years other people selling .kom in the "plug-in" IDN business. Once people realize they don't actually own what they thought they owned. I can see lawsuits coming from all sides.
Old 24th May 2011, 03:08 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
This is the lawsuit I see coming. Verisign will win of course. But it could throw in a monkey wrench for some time. Verisign has allowed for years other people selling .kom in the "plug-in" IDN business. Once people realize they don't actually own what they thought they owned. I can see lawsuits coming from all sides.
I hope the lawsuit won't be effecting Verisign too much, it would be more directed at the registrars selling them. All the finger pointing from ICANN and Verisign will go towards the registrars failing to properly notify the public that these domains are . Unless they left a trace behind by taking their 18cents or whatever for ICANN fee for every domain that they sell and that too needs to be proven that that money actually went to ICANN and even if it did, it's still the fault of the registrar misrepresenting the product. So by the time and by chance, if the lawsuit does get to Verisign it will be by year of 2027 and we my friend don't have that much time, next doomsday is scheduled for dec. next year. I hope we get to see .kom live before that day.

Last edited by DktoInc; 24th May 2011 at 03:10 AM..
Old 24th May 2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
I hope the lawsuit won't be effecting Verisign too much, it would be more directed at the registrars selling them.
Till Verisign has invested in the very companies that offer them.

Quote:
iDNS.net secured further rounds of funding from investors in USA and Singapore that include General Atlantic Partners, National University of Singapore, & VeriSign, Inc. of Silicon Valley, USA.
Verisign knows they exist. Verisign has financially supported them. And Verisign has allowed them to sell .com in a variety of languages.

http://www.i-dns.net/company/investors/investors.html
http://www.i-dns.net/affiliates_part...strategic.html
http://www.i-dns.net/domain_search/d...search.html.en

How much Verisign has invested really doesn't matter. The fact remains they've allowed them to sell fugazi .coms. For going on a decade.

So I'm an investor thinking about buying these domains and I see verisign has invested in the very company selling these products. How will I not be misled by both i-dns and verisign?
Old 25th May 2011, 12:13 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Do you have a document from Verisign stating that they invested in i-dns for a purpose of releasing these IDNs as valid domains?
these guys, they just become ICANN accredited registrars and then they do what they want in this case they chose i-dns to partner up with.
ex. http://www.i-dns.net/newsroom/news/GE081201-01.html.en
If that is not a clear misrepresentation of "ICANN accredited" label, I don't know what is.
to me, all fingers are pointing towards these registrars and i-dns and others like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
Till Verisign has invested in the very companies that offer them.

Verisign knows they exist. Verisign has financially supported them. And Verisign has allowed them to sell .com in a variety of languages.

http://www.i-dns.net/company/investors/investors.html
http://www.i-dns.net/affiliates_part...strategic.html
http://www.i-dns.net/domain_search/d...search.html.en

How much Verisign has invested really doesn't matter. The fact remains they've allowed them to sell fugazi .coms. For going on a decade.

So I'm an investor thinking about buying these domains and I see verisign has invested in the very company selling these products. How will I not be misled by both i-dns and verisign?

Last edited by DktoInc; 25th May 2011 at 12:19 AM..
Old 25th May 2011, 01:31 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

I don't think any of us believed the the cctld headstart would be 3 years back in 2008.
Unfortunately, it looks like 4.
I hope that I am wrong.
Old 25th May 2011, 02:29 AM

This'll go way back.

Posted: 28 August 2001

http://www.icann.org/en/committees/i...n-survey-c.htm

Quote:

i-DNS.net pioneered the development of the Internationalized Domain Name System (iDNS) technology, currently being adopted by more than 30 Registrar, Registry and Strategic Partners.
Status Report: Operator-based response

i-DNS.net is strictly a technology provider, and Registry (for [IDN.IDN] names). It works with Registrar Partners in each country to deploy its technology. i-DNS.net does not dictate the pricing policies of its partners and our partners determine their fees according to operational costs and market forces.
b.) Registry Operator - Managed Registry Services
This service empowers registry administrators to outsource their back-end registry operations to i-DNS.net. This allows the administrators to better focus on core marketing and policy control within its own namespace.
c.) Registrar Services - Registrar-in-a-Box
Registrar Services that help registrars kick-start and technically manage their registrar businesses.
Quote:

Names registered through our partners utilizing our Multilingual Technology and Multilingual ccTLD services are "live" and have been so since 1999.
The names are globally resolvable through:
1) Client-side solution - iClient
IETF has recommended that NAMEPREP be done on the client's end till a standard is determined. Having struck a strategic technology relationship with VeriSign, i-DNS.net's iClient is downloadable off both our corporate websites to enable the resolution of multilingual domain names. iClient resolves multilingual email addresses and all types of multilingual domain names, including ML.com (by VeriSign) and ML.ML (by i-DNS.net).
Have your popcorn ready.
Old 20th June 2011, 09:44 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

A fair indication that many here haven't a clue. Trust me this was never in doubt. The last six months was pure theatre.