View Single Post
Old 26th June 2006, 03:00 AM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Indian IT review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbiohealth
Hey Ravi,

Long time!

Well, the IDN implementation issue is universal and beyond our control. My apprehension initial was, by the time .IDN had implemented most of the classy names would have gone. Cmon' regging 1000 IDN is like $7000 which is not that great an amount specially looking at the favorable risk/reward ratio of IDNs. We should know the result of IDN implementation hopefully in a year's time. So, one should be ready to lose such amounts in case of a disaster.

My names are a combination of both translation and transliteration depending on which one was more popular and available. The prime factor in my decision was based on what people in India often spoke and not what was correct grammatically. The terms mentioned above were just for illustration and I do not necessarily have them all.

Look at this, translation of phone in hindi is not at all popular compared to its transliterated form. Same with "car" and "photo". Likewise, nobody knows what translation is for "mobile" and that everyone uses transliterated "mobile" form in hindi. Similarly, there are cases where both forms are popular, for example, "transliterated blog" is equally popular as "translated blog" which you have . Also, "credit card" does not have any known translation in hindi and people simply use the transliterated version. Bottomline, pick up whatever is popular. And if you are a local you would certainly know what is popular. These are some of the names that I own.

You too have some very nice collection of names!
What dictionary shows transliterations instead of translations? :P
I want to check some terms out.