IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2006, 03:18 PM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: So who is dripping in Diamonds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I think its that google trends doesnt like mixing up languages.

if you put "diamonds" last, then it returns results, but only shows Japanese in the languages tab.

something is not right.. guess thats why its a "beta"

The languages part will only work for the first term. If you want to compare traffic between different languages, you can do so from the chart.
Old 18th May 2006, 04:30 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olney
You should realize Diamonds & Precious minerals aren't bought everyday online by many. It's the info on a store that you can go to that's important.
Maybe not in Japan, but in the US they are. Even raw diamonds, not only jewelery. The diamond industry has made a huge effort to keep fraud out of it, and the level of trust building that has gone into online shopping for diamonds has paid off.
Old 18th May 2006, 04:37 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Maybe not in Japan, but in the US they are. Even raw diamonds, not only jewelery. The diamond industry has made a huge effort to keep fraud out of it, and the level of trust building that has gone into online shopping for diamonds has paid off.
Most of the real effort has gone into differentiating natural diamonds from synethetic ones. The natural ones are now laser etched to show their provinence as the only way that synthetic ones now give themselves away, is that they are too perfect.

Frankly, I think the whole thing is a bit of a con. If you need that level of technology to different the flawed real thing from the perfect synthetic thing, then it smacks to me of marketing over substances. It is little different than paying 5 x a much for a Coke because it comes with a red label. To me all Colas taste ghastly, so I fail to be convinced of the cost benefit of buying the red label.
Old 18th May 2006, 04:42 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Most of the real effort has gone into differentiating natural diamonds from synethetic ones. The natural ones are now laser etched to show their provinence as the only way that synthetic ones now give themselves away, is that they are too perfect.
Yes, this is the real story in diamonds these days. But right now the public has very low awareness of synthetic diamonds.

But the real value of synthetics is in electronics, since they can reflect light perfectly, unlike natural diamonds which can't be used in computing at all.
Old 18th May 2006, 04:48 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

There was a great article in Wired a few years ago about the secrecy, danger and profit in the synthetic diamond industry:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html
Old 18th May 2006, 04:52 PM

kenne is an unknown quantity at this point

Diamond in jewelry seems relatively new phenomenon maybe just 200 years also.

While the love of all shiny bitty stones come from our bird/reptilian ancestors, diamond is in
a different class of stupidity just by itself. It's beyond me, why anyone would want to wear
a piece of coal on their fingers; all I wanted was to set them on fire...

[My wife reads this board sometimes, but not often enough :]

Last edited by kenne; 18th May 2006 at 04:57 PM..
Old 18th May 2006, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
There was a great article in Wired a few years ago about the secrecy, danger and profit in the synthetic diamond industry:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html
Last I checked a few months ago, these were making their way to the market, online.
Old 18th May 2006, 05:00 PM

I hope they succeed. DeBeers is evil. Look at Sierra Leonne and Liberia, so many people maimed and killed,
though diamond industry is not to directly blame, but this vanity trade, just like drug trade, brings inherent
instability to small backwater economies, because of the huge unearned profit it brings.

Last edited by kenne; 18th May 2006 at 05:03 PM..
Old 18th May 2006, 05:07 PM

thegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this pointthegenius1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to thegenius1
Angry Re: So who is dripping in Diamonds?

Yup im not a Fan Of BLOOD Diamonds myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenne
I hope they succeed. DeBeers is evil. Look at Sierra Leonne and Liberia, so many people maimed and killed,
though diamond industry is not to directly blame, but this vanity trade, just like drug trade, brings inherent
instability to small backwater economies, because of the huge unearned profit it brings.
Old 18th May 2006, 05:10 PM
Veteran

I predict that they diamond business as we know it is over due to synthetics.

But, just as silver is cheap, but you still have Cartier charging a couple thousand for their designer silver peices, you will still have designer diamonds at current prices. The run of the mill diamonds though, the kind the masses buy for engagement rings, are going to be completely devalued.
Old 18th May 2006, 05:16 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastfromthepast
Last I checked a few months ago, these were making their way to the market, online.
Won't make a huge difference to the jewellers. Lets face it the cost of the raw materials that goes into the average trincket is minimal. Most of the costs are associated with the high profile location, the fancy displays and the staff that stand around looking pretty all day long. Synthetic diamonds won't do anything to change that. You won't trick me into bad mouthing De Beers though. Just too damned scared!
Old 18th May 2006, 05:18 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Your sentiment is echoed kenne, but I'll bet you still have the 3-Cs and your wife's stone stats memorized and you probably bought the authenticity certificate too.

All of the married folk can probably empathize.
Old 18th May 2006, 05:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
Your sentiment is echoed kenne, but I'll bet you still have the 3-Cs and your wife's stone stats memorized and you probably bought the authenticity certificate too.

All of the married folk can probably empathize.
That's as maybe, but possibly not as much as those who are now divorced!
Old 18th May 2006, 06:13 PM

JColson is an unknown quantity at this point

Diamonds are yet another expense of divorce - next time I must remember not to throw diamonds at the departing ex along with all other presents! Difficult to permanently maim with meaningless trinkets.
Old 18th May 2006, 06:20 PM

I just finished reading the wired article, what these people are doing is very cool I envision a diamond dagger for the divorcers, now that is forever.

It's true that most of the price of jewelry is markup from the jeweler, but the cartel certainly get an important slice, and pooled from 80(?)% of all diamond jewelry sold worldwide, a huge profit margin. This profit margin will be eroded by "cultured" diamond and they should be scared.

Another big vanity jewelry is gold, I don't even want to get started on the terrible environmental damage it causes, mining with acenic/mercury and all. Of course women are not entirely to blame here since many men stockpile gold to assuage their insecurity complexes.

Gamma, guilty as charged. But I plan to get back on her someday (or maybe I am already).