IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st June 2011, 05:52 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
UPPERCASE DOMAIN in whois

Why does The Registry whois database return domains in uppercase when domains in uppercase are IDNA2008 invalid? Also, why are .COM, .NET., and .EDU listed in uppercase?

Quote:
VeriSign may restrict or terminate your access to the
Whois database for failure to abide by these terms of use. VeriSign
reserves the right to modify these terms at any time.

The Registry database contains ONLY .COM, .NET, .EDU domains and
Registrars.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 1st June 2011 at 05:53 AM..
Old 1st June 2011, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: UPPERCASE DOMAIN in whois

The zone files are uppercase too.

Maybe that's what's confusing Verisign!
Old 1st June 2011, 09:59 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

How domains are displayed is distinct from how domains are registered/stored.

I think I remember from IETF discussions they are tightening up on the registration side i.e. disallowing UPPER case registrations.

But once registered and stored in lower case, obviously its ok to go wild and print in any available case.

Don't quote me on this stuff though, the IETF discussions got very deep, especially when the French got involved, and tried to turn it into a philosophical discussion.

I thought domain name politics was complicated till I started reading French domain name philosophy, it seemed to go on for pages without saying anything much. I think the French want one day to make lower case and upper case distinct in domain names ...... I'm sure someone can explain succinctly why the French language requires that?
Old 1st June 2011, 03:20 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
I'm sure someone can explain succinctly why the French language requires that?
nope
Old 1st June 2011, 03:41 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Actually I think what may be the issue for the French is that capitalized accented letters can lose the accent and remain grammatically correct in certain settings (not standalone though.. I've never seen it regularly enough to think it's OK to lose the accent in standalone format). That usually happens when only the first letter of a word is capitalized/at the beginning of a sentence. Acronyms also often lose the accent.

For example, a sentence beginning with "à" can be capitalized in the form "A" instead of "À".

I think that's exactly the kind of trivial non-issue that a french public servant would turn into a big deal
Old 1st June 2011, 07:09 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

In that case, the French should have added special "capitalization without accent" marker characters to Unicode a long time ago.

As the standard now stands, uppercase in domain names is invalid.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 1st June 2011 at 07:09 PM..