IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2006, 08:50 AM

jaik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jaik
at present why there is very low hindi or indian idns here?

hi,
be it on sales or general discussion or on appraisal
i am from india
there are still plenty of very good hindi words to reg
does it take time to get value for hindi or indian idns
is there any members who own hindi idns?
plz help my doubts
thanks,
jaik
Old 18th May 2006, 09:03 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: at present why there is very low hindi or indian idns here?

Do you have Indian domains, and do they get traffic?

Currently, there are still a lot of good domains with traffic that can be registered in other languages.

Once these are exhausted, naturally people, myself included, will start looking into Hindi.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:04 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaik
hi,
i am from india
plz help my doubts
thanks,
jaik
I won't repeat everything that has been said already, so I suggest you read some of the forum threads on this subject.

But to summarise it, it appears that today the majority of the Indian community search the internet in English, and therefore a domain in their native script will not be as valuable.

The big question is, will this change?
Old 18th May 2006, 09:07 AM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I think you will find that Rubber Duck has a substanstial Indic script portfolio, Quite a few of the members here have Hindi names
Old 18th May 2006, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
hi,
i am from india
plz help my doubts
thanks,
jaik
I own a good number of Hindi and other Indic Script domains.

Most western speculators are not very interested at present as translation resources are limited and there are no tools other than Google to verify translations. I was in before there were Google Scores so we made a lot of mistakes, but feel we have a an excellent portfolio overall.

The other problem is that there is a perception that India with just use English to access the Internet. Whilst, I believe this to be totally misconceived, this view is often supported by members of the educated elite that visit domain forums.

My personal view is that Hind will be second only to Chinese in importance for IDN domains but that it will take two or three years for the market to start to boom.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Just ask yourself this question:

How many Hindi speakers here will type in Hindi when searching for "mps", "music", "movies"?

There are 3 elements to a language:

1. Conversational - even illiterate people can speak a language.

2. Written - writing on paper - most people can write well in school - because examinations and tests are conducted on paper.

3. Type-in - type in using a keyboard - excludes copy and paste from translator :p

For domains, only the 3rd element applies, the first and second are not relevant. The sole purpose of a domain is to type-in.

Last edited by touchring; 18th May 2006 at 09:24 AM..
Old 18th May 2006, 09:32 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale
I won't repeat everything that has been said already, so I suggest you read some of the forum threads on this subject.

But to summarise it, it appears that today the majority of the Indian community search the internet in English, and therefore a domain in their native script will not be as valuable.

The big question is, will this change?
This is where the big misconception lies. It is a majority of very tiny elite minority that are searching the Internet at all at the moment. As broadband is being rolled out nationwide even to the villages this will change dramatically. You just cannot upgrade a population of over a billion to English overnight, but you can upgrade their technology to recognise the languages that they can understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring

For domains, only the 3rd element applies, the first and second are not relevant. The sole purpose of a domain is to type-in.
Or perhaps to click on recognisable links!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 18th May 2006 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th May 2006, 09:47 AM
Veteran

Even for linking purpose, search engines will give preference to domains with keywords that match the type-in keyword - so the web user still must type-in the native script.

For example, if the user searches "bollywood" in English, the search results will not return Bollywood in Hindi.

If i'm a webmaster catering to an Indian audience, i rather use the 123-bollywood.com or 456-bollywood.com as it will contain my targeted keyword, than bollywood.com in Hindi.

Google trends for Bollywood - http://www.google.com/trends?q=bolly...o=all&date=all

Last edited by touchring; 18th May 2006 at 09:51 AM..
Old 18th May 2006, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Even for linking purpose, search engines will give preference to domains with keywords that match the type-in keyword - so the web user still must type-in the native script.

For example, if the user searches "bollywood" in English, the search results will not return Bollywood in Hindi.

If i'm a webmaster catering to an Indian audience, i rather use the 123-bollywood.com or 456-bollywood.com as it will contain my targeted keyword, than bollywood.com in Hindi.

Google trends for Bollywood - http://www.google.com/trends?q=bolly...o=all&date=all
How do we know how most Indians would choose to type in Bollywood? It may well be that in 2 to 3 years more are typing a Davengari Transliteration than are typing in Latin Characters.

Most Bollywood productions are not in English, therefore it is likely with time little of the promotions will be in English either.

Search engine technology is changing all the time. Even now very common terms seems to be recognised are in many different languages, probably because they are cross-indexed. Cross-indexation of transliterations would probably be very easy to achieve. Even widespread cross-indexation of translationations that are very phonetically different is likely within the next few years. It not inconcievable that SEO on such equivalent terms would be done both ways and also on a Geotargetted basis.

It is only a opinion, but my view is that those that write-off Hindi IDN will prove to be just as wrong as those that have written-off Japanese and Chinese. It will just take a little longer to disprove them.
Old 18th May 2006, 10:16 AM
Veteran

I think no one is writing off Hindi - besides, it would also be culturally insensitive to do so - but we are just having the view that at this moment in time, it will be more productive to mine other languages.

As for type-in trends, we now got Google trends, and Google is very strong in India - 75% marketshare. It will be fairly easy to verify.
Old 18th May 2006, 10:33 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I think no one is writing off Hindi - besides, it would also be culturally insensitive to do so - but we are just having the view that at this moment in time, it will be more productive to mine other languages.

As for type-in trends, we now got Google trends, and Google is very strong in India - 75% marketshare. It will be fairly easy to verify.
I think it is highly debateable whether it is more productive to mine other languages. Yes, if you intend to turn the domains over in the market. Almost certainly not, if you are looking for top commercial generics as a longterm hold.

I tried things out with Google trends. No nothing happening there, just as there is nothing happening there with Google Adwords or Overture. Those of us that have been in the markets for a while have seen similar scenarios with all the other major languages being speculated. You still cannot get Overture for Simplified Chinese, no local tools in Russian or Arabic either.

Since I have held Arabic domains Google Scores have gone from a few thousands to tens of millions, even Hindi is now in the millions in some instances. Google scores for Hindi double approximately every month. This may not give everyone the copper bottom they seem to be looking for, but it is very positive from my perspective.
Old 18th May 2006, 11:02 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

Points,

1. Jaik, how many Indian domainers do you generally see even in ascii domains. I think that this number is very insignificant compared to the total.

2. How many ascii domains have been registered by Indian folks/companies till now? Again, I imagine this figure too would be very insignificant compared to the total number ascii domains that have been registered.

3. The above two factors are because there are very few people in India yet who have dedicated internet connections, though this is changing fast. Because of lack of broadband earlier, majority of internet users in India used internet just to check emails or for any other trivial activities. If you observe the behaviour of domainers in general, you would find some striking statistic. I am sure most of them are hooked to internet and also they tend to spend a large amount of their daily time on internet. Moreover, I guess majority of them would have broadband access. Generally speaking, domaining minds can work when they have ample free time on the internet which actually allows them to think out of the box. I am sure as of now you can count "such domainers" in India on your fingertips. However, this should change rapidly as broadband spreads. Funny, isn't it? Indians are known to be great programmers, still being in computer industry we don't have a top class Indian domainer - reason here perhaps is that they don't think out of the box may be due to lack of time.

4. Touchring, your observation is based on a very small sample of English speaking Indians who have internet access. I am afraid, this observation can not be extrapolated to hindi speaking reagions of India which till now had no computer access at all. We need data on hindi "keyword" search to make a clear inference and I think this data are still 1-2 years adead.

I think conviction is an absolute must in this game. In this context domaining has a very close resemblance with stock markets, where you would find analysts both for and against a share on a day. The value of some share can only be guaged in the long run. Think here that you have just bought a high-tech share and sleep over it for a couple of years. Let IE7 be there on most computers in India, I think IE7 is used by almost 99% computers in India. Check out the trends in associated risks (IE7 + broadband + IDN.com~IDN.IDN + local computer/software hardware) -> and you will have the answer on whether to buy hindi IDN or not

Cheers!

Quote:

3. Google trends for Bollywood - http://www.google.com/trends?q=bolly...o=all&date=all

You will have not be able to catch hindi speaking population this way. Hindi newspapers use bollywood in hindi for their hindi readers.

Google trends as of now is purely based on for English words as they don't have sufficient data on hindi words.

Quote:
Yes, Google is very strong in India. They should have pretty accurate results on hindi keywords after a couple of years.

Last edited by drbiohealth; 18th May 2006 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18th May 2006, 11:19 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbiohealth
...You will have not be able to catch hindi speaking population this way. Hindi newspapers use bollywood in hindi for their hindi readers.

Google trends as of now is purely based on for English words as they don't have sufficient data on hindi words.
Slightly off topic...

You just reminded me of something.. a few months back I spent hours trying to find the Hindi equivalent of "bollywood".. but I failed miserably.

If you know what it is, would you be kind enough to please PM it to me, but I fear it is an English-ism only.
Old 18th May 2006, 11:27 AM

drbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished roaddrbiohealth is on a distinguished road

The hindi version बॉलीवुड is with Ravi. He reged it while it was still there on my list... . Sorry, you are late.

Quote:
Slightly off topic...

You just reminded me of something.. a few months back I spent hours trying to find the Hindi equivalent of "bollywood".. but I failed miserably.

If you know what it is, would you be kind enough to please PM it to me, but I fear it is an English-ism only.
Old 18th May 2006, 11:34 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
The hindi version बॉलीवुड is with Ravi. He reged it while it was still there on my list... . Sorry, you are late.
damn.

what about: "Kollywood", apparently it's the name often applied to Tamil Cinema - and is second in size only to Bollywood?

i wonder how many ?ollywoods there are
Old 18th May 2006, 12:11 PM

Well, no idea about that one. I don't know Tamil. But yes, tamil cinema is popular too.

Quote:
damn.

what about: "Kollywood", apparently it's the name often applied to Tamil Cinema - and is second in size only to Bollywood?

Old 18th May 2006, 01:17 PM

jaik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jaik

Quote:
Points,

1. Jaik, how many Indian domainers do you generally see even in ascii domains. I think that this number is very insignificant compared to the total.

2. How many ascii domains have been registered by Indian folks/companies till now? Again, I imagine this figure too would be very insignificant compared to the total number ascii domains that have been registered.

3. The above two factors are because there are very few people in India yet who have dedicated internet connections, though this is changing fast. Because of lack of broadband earlier, majority of internet users in India used internet just to check emails or for any other trivial activities. If you observe the behaviour of domainers in general, you would find some striking statistic. I am sure most of them are hooked to internet and also they tend to spend a large amount of their daily time on internet. Moreover, I guess majority of them would have broadband access. Generally speaking, domaining minds can work when they have ample free time on the internet which actually allows them to think out of the box. I am sure as of now you can count "such domainers" in India on your fingertips. However, this should change rapidly as broadband spreads. Funny, isn't it? Indians are known to be great programmers, still being in computer industry we don't have a top class Indian domainer - reason here perhaps is that they don't think out of the box may be due to lack of time.

4. Touchring, your observation is based on a very small sample of English speaking Indians who have internet access. I am afraid, this observation can not be extrapolated to hindi speaking reagions of India which till now had no computer access at all. We need data on hindi "keyword" search to make a clear inference and I think this data are still 1-2 years adead.

I think conviction is an absolute must in this game. In this context domaining has a very close resemblance with stock markets, where you would find analysts both for and against a share on a day. The value of some share can only be guaged in the long run. Think here that you have just bought a high-tech share and sleep over it for a couple of years. Let IE7 be there on most computers in India, I think IE7 is used by almost 99% computers in India. Check out the trends in associated risks (IE7 + broadband + IDN.com~IDN.IDN + local computer/software hardware) -> and you will have the answer on whether to buy hindi IDN or not

Cheers!

You will have not be able to catch hindi speaking population this way. Hindi newspapers use bollywood in hindi for their hindi readers.

Yes, Google is very strong in India. They should have pretty accurate results on hindi keywords after a couple of years.
what does ascii domains means?

then here we have local languages news paper online edition with local languages like hindi,tamil,malayalam etc.... so that means many people are there who prefer local language than english when visiting online

then i know hindi,malayalam,tamil,kannada and konkani
which of these language above have more value

thanks,
jaik

Last edited by jaik; 18th May 2006 at 01:24 PM..
Old 18th May 2006, 01:57 PM

By ascii I mean English domains.

My personal preference would be hindi, bangla, tamil, telugu, Kannad, Gujarati in that order.

Quote:
what does ascii domains means?

then here we have local languages news paper online edition with local languages like hindi,tamil,malayalam etc.... so that means many people are there who prefer local language than english when visiting online

then i know hindi,malayalam,tamil,kannada and konkani
which of these language above have more value

thanks,
jaik
Old 18th May 2006, 03:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
By ascii I mean English domains.

My personal preference would be hindi, bangla, tamil, telugu, Kannad, Gujarati in that order.
Yes, but I would broadly agree with that but I think that Urdu, Marathi and Punjabi should also feature somewhere. I think I would squeeze Urdu in above Tamil with the other two ahead of Gujarati, but then perhaps I am not really qualified to comment.
Old 20th May 2006, 07:34 PM

a2zofb2b is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
damn.

Alpha,
As drbiohealth mentioned, I own (Bollywood) बॉलीवुड.com, in addition I own (Cinema) सिनेमा.com

Kollywood = Tamil Movie Industry. கொலிவூட்.com
(It was news to me when I saw wikipedia definition, I was under the impression it stood for Kannada movie industry).
Not many Google search results. No plans to register கொலிவூட்.com
I own (Cinema) சினிமா.com

Tollywood = Telugu Movie Industry.

Malluwood = Malayalam Movie Industry.

Not sure how Tollywood & Malluwood are written in respective languages.

Quote:
hi,
i am from india
plz help my doubts
thanks,
jaik
Jaik,
Currently, Hindi IDN registration is being registered primarily by domainers and specially domainers who are willing to wait for 3-5 years.
There is no active/live Hind IDN Domains, hence no advertisements and not much typin traffic.

Agreed there are still many very good hindi works to reg, but ask yourself the following question.
1) Does it have commercial Value or is it a very popular keyword
and hence could get typin traffic in the post IE 7 days
2) Are you willing to hold it for atleast 5 years.

If you answer yes to these 2 question then go ahead and register the domain.

Last edited by a2zofb2b; 20th May 2006 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost