IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2011, 07:33 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Defining Variants.

It is often mentioned that there is no clear definition of a 'variant'.

Can someone confirm or explain otherwise on the following:

Using Chinese for the first example where there is e.g 汽车.org currently which supposedly will soon be 汽车.ChineseTransliterationOF.orgINsimplifiedChinese and then there's the first type of variants which will be 汽车.ChineseTransliterationOF.orgINtraditionalChinese and where it seems all 3 need to be registered to the same registrant.

Then using Russian for example where there is e.g Россия.org currently which supposedly will soon be Россия.орг and where it seems both need to be registered to the same registrant.

Hebrew would be like Cyrillic with only one way for saying/writing/hearing .com in Hebrew (.קום)

The purpose of this post is to confirm what i think is a possible scenario which means that basically anything that needs more then one additional domain that will be added to the current idn.org domain will wait considerably longer then languages that need only one transliterated 'variant' to the existing idn.gtld?

I do believe that the first 'variant', using the Chinese case it will be the one used in mainland China (Simplified Chinese?) will be able to go into the root around the same time with languages without this type of 'variant' problem and then at a later point the additional 'variants' will be also added (e.g Traditional Chinese)

If i understand correctly, DNAME allows taking 1URL and making it a 1+1URL, both acting identical in the dns root but it can't do that as 1+1+1URL and for all three to act identical in the root.

Last edited by 555; 19th June 2011 at 08:09 PM..
Old 19th June 2011, 08:12 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Re: Defining Variants.

It should be noted that there is an advantage that is unique to Russian that may exist in other languages but i don't know if and which.

In Russian both .com (Commercial) and .org (Organization) have very similar meaning/sound/writing as in English

The word Commercial in Russian: коммерческий (Sounds like Commercheski)
The word Organization in Russian: организация (Sounds like Organizatsiya)

Last edited by 555; 19th June 2011 at 08:13 PM..
Old 19th June 2011, 08:46 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

I think variant can be much more complicated than that. I actually think that .com .net and .org will be rather easy.

say for example dot games in arabic, if someone were to apply for it, the TLD would have multiple variants such as

.ألعاب
.الألعاب
.العاب
.الالعاب

now, what you're saying is that TLDs with no variant issues will be added to the root earlier than the ones with variant issues ? It's a possibility although I haven't read much on the subject
Old 19th June 2011, 08:51 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
what you're saying is that TLDs with no variant issues will be added to the root earlier than the ones with variant issues ? It's a possibility although I haven't read much on the subject
If i remember correctly it was Dennis Jennings who is managing the IDN VIP WG that said they don't plan to delay any strings due to the complexities of others which doesn't mean much unless specific but i guess tomorrow hopefully after the board approval we will get the first language specific updates and see what it sounds like.

Also, the fact that finally ICANN recognized a global solution is impossible and sliced the 'problem' on a per language basis i think shows that one is no longer attached to the progression of others.

Last edited by 555; 19th June 2011 at 08:57 PM..
Old 19th June 2011, 08:59 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Are .color and .colour considered variants? .math and .maths? (In the US we study math, or at least used to, while in Britain they study maths).

I'm pretty sure that .орг is not considered a variant of .org, nor is .ком a variant of .com, so I have not been following the IDN Variants discussion too closely, because I suspect it is not relevant to my interests.

Avtal
Old 19th June 2011, 09:08 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
Are .color and .colour considered variants? .math and .maths? (In the US we study math, or at least used to, while in Britain they study maths).
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that .орг is not considered a variant of .org, nor is .ком a variant of .com, so I have not been following the IDN Variants discussion too closely, because I suspect it is not relevant to my interests.
That's where it gets confusing i think, as after all yes and no, color and colour or com ком are variants but they aren't.

What i mean is that the word variant is misused or used in two ways, once as a 'real' variant (real from a technical point of view whatever that means) and the other meaning when the word 'variant' is used may be just literally, not in a complex way, as in the word 'option', where then there is another 'option' that means there is a 'variant'...

I probably got it all messed up worst but as you said who cares, it's hours before we all understand that at minimum tld's like .com .net .org are a huge step forward or do we?
Old 19th June 2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Avtal
No. Variants is about equivalent charachters not strings but other mechanism apply to confusingly similar strings.
Old 20th June 2011, 01:05 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

To complicate matters, italic Cyrillic т looks like the Latin letter m, and italic Cyrillic д looks like the letter Latin letter g.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 20th June 2011 at 01:06 AM..
Old 20th June 2011, 03:57 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

hopefully as gtld's get to 100's or 1000's,
IANA or ICANN will provide an east to use matrix for
variants, aliases, and blocked strings.

The root zone itself is proof of what strings will work.