IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2011, 06:45 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
Re: New gTLDs Approved, IDN.IDN Activations Assured, why is it still quiet in here?

I personally think that one of the main reasons there hasn't been a rise of interest in existing IDN.com names is because of the remarks from ICANN Singapore's Conference by their executives (Rod, Peter and Kurt) here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCVjVVxOimY
(specifically the IDN remarks are at 39:47-42:07 and 45:00 to the end)

In the above clip, Rod mentioned that .com is an abbreviation for commercial and as such their will be no priority rights when they are translated into other languages.

Verisign really needs to coordinate with ICANN quickly and make a well covered public announcement about their intention to apply for the translations of .coms in various languages and the very fact that present idn.com holders will be given rights to activate their IDN.com (in their respective local scripts).
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:04 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: New gTLDs Approved, IDN.IDN Activations Assured, why is it still quiet in here?

Verisign will not apply for translations of .com, it'll apply for strings that sound like .com (everybody here has called it "transliteration" but it technically is not a transliteration, anyways... )
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:13 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

That's the right choice of words, thanks. The point remains that many people interested to invest in the so called translit strings of .coms in native scripts will probably have no clue especially when you watch the quoted sections of the youtube clip above and stay away from existing idn.coms/.nets unless there is crystal clear publicly announced clarification from Verisign.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 23rd June 2011 at 07:21 PM..
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:21 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Verisign will not apply for translations of .com, it'll apply for strings that sound like .com (everybody here has called it "transliteration" but it technically is not a transliteration, anyways... )
We can talk about the right definition but that is the irrelevant part thought i am curious why you don't find the word transliteration appropriate for that type of situation.

What i heard:

Question: Would a registrant be able to register .com domains in Arabic and how are previously registered Arabic .com domains would be treated?

Answer: The letters com is not a universal word ,its an abbr that ended up being a tld, so no party has prior rights in translations of that or versions of that in other languages.
presumably u have different words for commercial or for business (in other languages).

And:
in respect to 2nd level if you had e.g Arabic domain with .com do u have a prior right for a tld

The first part is the only way ICANN CEO can and should answer this, it is not his problem what a word means anywhere etc, it is his problem to prevent confusion which is why it was obvious for many years only the current gtld registries will get anything that is confusing to the gtlds they have been running for years.

The 2nd part is also clear as owning Hotels.com in Chinese won't give anyone a greater chance at .Hotels in Chinese

It's all very 'fresh', give it a few weeks and i am sure verisign will leave very little room for doubts once they finally do explain exactly how things are going to work when it comes to the gTLDs they are responsible for and surely we should see the very same from PIR and Afilias.

Remember verisign and other registries more then once very specifically clarified they're very clear intentions when in fact as little as it seems it is much more then necessary as after all it isn't like anyone else really ever stood a chance.

I think we can start counting months because i don't see how anyone will have any doubts over the next 12 months.
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:32 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

On Minute 24, Paco asks if anyone running a tld not in the root (e.g Domain the net , Regtime/ Webnames) have any claim to the tld and the answer in one word he got from Beckstrom: NO.
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:32 PM

Well put and thought out. Thanks Michael!
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:10 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Meanwhile, some entities are pretty confident about what they're going after...

New York Is Excited About The New gTLD’s & It’s Upcoming .NYC Extension
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:28 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post

New york is generally an excited city it seems (http://www.google.co.il/search?sourc...+is+excited%22), i am not sure how much of this excitement will remain and on the other hand, possibly they will be content with 200-300k registrations, and assume we will see 30 tld's doing with these numbers so around 9,000,000 registrations spread across, all still under 10% from what .com is now and until now it was only in English (how much will it grow with now China, India, Russia, Japan, Korea etc beginning to buy that same .com in they're native scripts, something they could never do prior or more accurate until now don't know they can do or more accurately don't know what they can now do that will award them the likely desired "real idn holder" status) so i guess it's all relative but should be clear it is going to be practically impossible to go near .com status anytime soon or ever, as only with .com every major brand in the world did all it can to promote it, as they are trying to best promote they're brand only it's stuck to that .com

Someone which has been around IDN's considerably longer then i am, once told me that it's really all about idn's, and that ascii new gtld's are irrelevant, almost acting as a distraction from the main issue.

ICANN Can't tell the incumbent registries take all you need of what you are running now, no one else can get nothing which led then to give 'choice' to users/brands.

I try to stick to factual info so the last is obviously an assumption but it's making sense as .gay is an option, .TLDinChinese is a necessity.

Anyways, what else is going on? it's getting boring to repeat the same so many times

Fast forward to 2013: RussianDomainer got DirecTV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkB9OT2XVvA
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:30 PM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
We can talk about the right definition but that is the irrelevant part thought i am curious why you don't find the word transliteration appropriate for that type of situation.

Quote:
Transliteration is not concerned with representing the phonemics of the original: it only strives to accurately represent the characters.
From wikipedia
Old 23rd June 2011, 08:57 PM

Transcription i think would be more appropriate although perhaps Verisign did mean translit (to preserve the "3 characterdness of the string" ??)

Anyways, one sure thing is that V is not going after translations. Beckstrom's words really echoe Pat Kane's comment @domaincite
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:56 PM

Rod Beckstrom mentioned from 12:16 - 13:17 on Youtube that the rationality for delaying the application acceptance date to Jan 2012 is to extend the communication period for the benefit of everyone all over the world as some might not be aware of the program.

By that logic, shouldn't IDNs for existing gTLDs be exempt from this communication period as they are the only ones with rights to apply for IDN versions of their gTLDs anyway and fast tracked to application acceptance sooner? They are already aware about the new gTLD program and therefore nothing needs to be communicated further. If ICANN could initiate fast track for cCTLD IDNS, why not for existing gTLD like Verisign and get IDN.com (in IDN) approved sooner rather than wait for another 18 months - 2 years for that to happen?

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 23rd June 2011 at 11:03 PM..
Old 24th June 2011, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post

I predict that .NYC will have about 2X the number of .LA registrants given that NYC's population is about 8 million vs. LA at around 4 million. .LA despite having been marketed as Los Angeles for years (NB:it's actually a Laos CCTLD managed by a Los Angeles firm) hasn't really picked up that many registrants. Hence I would agree with Michael that the new .gTLD program seems more like a distraction when all that is relevant is really the dot com king.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 24th June 2011 at 01:01 AM..
Old 24th June 2011, 02:40 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

18 to 24 months ....good grief....

and all the pot banging on dot Thing or dot Brand or dot SaveTheWhales.

yes, the proof is QED now.
but the continued refusal of the current 22 gtlds to have a fast track start for their
variants, aliases, transliterations, translations, DNames, BNames or whatever is

UK...bullocks
US ..bullshit
DE ...sheis
Fr ...merde

s/
Old 24th June 2011, 08:42 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
Please DON'T!!!
I do it so that you all prove me wrong!
My role is the Devil's advocate!
http://fusible.com/2011/06/twitter-c...ess-important/
Old 24th June 2011, 08:49 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

key phrase being: "But despite all the talk of domain names ”becoming less important”, in his own words Evan writes, he’d still opt (and pay up) for a nice, clean .com if he could."

i.e. equivalent to me saying: i think penthouse in manhattan is sooo overrated and everyone should live in a tent on the outskirts of brooklyn, but hell...if i could buy one in city, i would...
Old 24th June 2011, 09:40 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
You can kind of get away with that when you have been accused of rushing things and are quitting anyway.
Internet address group names Steve Crocker chair
Old 26th June 2011, 01:42 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofmel View Post
lol. ask him to switch to facebook.com/twitter and see how he reacts.
Old 26th June 2011, 01:46 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
On Minute 24, Paco asks if anyone running a tld not in the root (e.g Domain the net , Regtime/ Webnames) have any claim to the tld and the answer in one word he got from Beckstrom: NO.
That's because by definition it isn't a TLD if it isn't in the root. Sham or scam are better words.
Old 26th June 2011, 07:43 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Rick Latona, then Bob Parsons, now Microsoft moving away from ascii domain names...
Old 28th June 2011, 04:47 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

microsoft domains are flopped products or idea's that never left the boardroom, looks like most all of them should be dropped and left to the buzzards. wow they must be hurting to try in pull in a few hundred. Domain Source
flycast.com SEDO
click-url.com SEDO
Skyscrapr.com SEDO
Skyscrapr.net SEDO
pcpal.com SEDO
pc-pal.com SEDO
spamshark.com SEDO
healthquest.com SEDO
milpa.com SEDO
healthcortex.com SEDO
willplay.com SEDO
carmatch.com SEDO