IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st June 2011, 03:59 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road
New gTLDs Approved, IDN.IDN Activations Assured, why is it still quiet in here?

With new gTLDs now approved and the reassurance from Chuck Gomes of current IDN.com/net holders having rights to activate idn.idn names, why is it still very quiet in here?
Old 21st June 2011, 04:20 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
re: New gTLDs Approved, IDN.IDN Activations Assured, why is it still quiet in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
With new gTLDs now approved and the reassurance from Chuck Gomes of current IDN.com/net holders having rights to activate idn.idn names, why is it still very quiet in here?
Buy on rumors, sell on news.
Old 21st June 2011, 04:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
re: New gTLDs Approved, IDN.IDN Activations Assured, why is it still quiet in here?

. What is it about this interface and Windows 7? Just before you get to post you lose everything!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 21st June 2011 at 04:32 PM..
Old 21st June 2011, 04:31 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

I think it is cashflow. Those that have been in the game 10 years are tired. And the Wanabees wanabee for free.

You can hardly blame them with the kind of hype coming from DNJ. Poor Ron sounds as sick as a parrot. Probably a realisation that the time for dot Info to make an impact is now up.

Of course others will be nursing loses on worthless extensions too numerous to list. But nothing is going to affect the dynamics of Dot Mobi.
Old 21st June 2011, 04:38 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

First off....seems the big story was the "new" extensions that can now be bought by companies and organizations. Reading a lot of articles in the media, the only thing journalists seemed to write about were the the "new" extensions that can now be registered ie.- .anything, .cocacola, .sony etc again focusing only on the English/ Latin versions.

Beyond that very few seemed to understand exactly what transpired and the implications for local language names.... and sadly most were not interested and did not feel it newsworthy to write stories on this aspect of the true globilization of the internet.

Maybe that is a good thing....the .anything crowd pushed IDNs "under the radar" and as a result there were no protests over idn.idn from any sides and the good news is that the deal is finally inked. No doubt some domainers will continue their eternal wait for "real" IDNs...and the naysayers will continue to tout that native language domains will never get traction and become mainstream as internet prefer English.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 21st June 2011 at 04:38 PM..
Old 21st June 2011, 04:42 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

until we can actually activate our idn.idn 's i don't see any large increase of members at this site or new money rushing in. i don't think we will see pricing taking a giant step forward on auctions here or offers in your inbox. so i guess the clock has been reset. so what do we have now another 18 to 24 months?
Old 21st June 2011, 04:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofmel View Post
until we can actually activate our idn.idn 's i don't see any large increase of members at this site or new money rushing in. i don't think we will see pricing taking a giant step forward on auctions here or offers in your inbox. so i guess the clock has been reset. so what do we have now another 18 to 24 months?
Dot RF is likely to provide something of a catalyst in November, as indeed will the ICANN Communication Period which has officially started.
Old 21st June 2011, 05:11 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
No doubt some domainers will continue their eternal wait for "real" IDNs
I just want to point out that we are all lucky here, in the sense that we all master the english language and most of the crucial info with respect to IDNs is english only. I was on a french domaining forum just yesterday and the locals were discussing IDNs. The small consensus there was that latin IDNs were ok, albeit a long term thing, but also that non-latin IDNs.com were worthless because IDN.ccTLDinIDN would get all market share (they gave .рф as an example). They clearly did not know about IDN.COMinIDN and aliasing.
Old 21st June 2011, 05:17 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Like many of us here, I feel idn.com (in IDN) news (or lack thereof) has been clouded by the opening of the .anything news. So in a way it's a matter of things being lost in translation.

When fast track cctlds were approved, it was a stand alone big news well covered by the media which may have contributed to the surge in interest for the Russian ccTLD IDN, for instance. Personally, I feel if Chuck Gomes would make a public annoucement to the mainstream media about Verisign plan to apply for the translations of GTLD .coms in various languages with the current IDN.com holders being confirmed their rights for activation at a fee, it would solidify the news and erase the perception of uncertainty and upgrade IDN from speculation grade to investment grade and attracting uptake.
Old 21st June 2011, 05:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I just want to point out that we are all lucky here, in the sense that we all master the english language and most of the crucial info with respect to IDNs is english only. I was on a french domaining forum just yesterday and the locals were discussing IDNs. The small consensus there was that latin IDNs were ok, albeit a long term thing, but also that non-latin IDNs.com were worthless because IDN.ccTLDinIDN would get all market share (they gave .рф as an example). They clearly did not know about IDN.COMinIDN and aliasing.
By any standards France is a domaining backwater.

Perhaps it is the language thing. Perhaps they simply refuse to use English.
Old 21st June 2011, 05:20 PM

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 21st June 2011 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: Duplicate Post
Old 21st June 2011, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
Like many of us here, I feel idn.com (in IDN) news (or lack thereof) has been clouded by the opening of the .anything news. So in a way it's a matter of things being lost in translation.

When fast track cctlds were approved, it was a stand alone big news well covered by the media which may have contributed to the surge in interest for the Russian ccTLD IDN, for instance. Personally, I feel if Chuck Gomes would make a public annoucement to the mainstream media about Verisign plan to apply for the translations of GTLD .coms in various languages with the current IDN.com holders being confirmed their rights for activation at a fee, it would solidify the news and erase the perception of uncertainty and upgrade IDN from speculation grade to investment grade and attract uptake.
The thing is, that it is not what we are being told that matters. The message to our key markets in the Communication Period hopefully will be tapered towards those markets and mosts of the bollocks in the US press will hopefully be filtered out.
Old 21st June 2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator

thefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished roadthefabfive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to thefabfive

1. Verisign must still apply for the new TLD
2. ICANN must still approve those applications
Old 21st June 2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive View Post
Possibly, but I have funding to double down and that is what I going to do regardless of whether anything is happening here or not.

Traffic is the goal. Long-term it seems assured. Short-term would be a bonus.
Old 21st June 2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefabfive View Post
That is exactly my point. I hope Verisign makes a public annoucement about their intention the same way .asia did soon.

Cheers!

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 21st June 2011 at 05:42 PM..
Old 21st June 2011, 05:33 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
By any standards France is a domaining backwater.

Perhaps it is the language thing. Perhaps they simply refuse to use English.
A bit like when they banned use of the words "email and blog".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-20348325/

I love the quote at the bottom of that page ...

After defeating Napoleon in 1815, the Duke of Wellington said: "We always have been, we are, and I hope we always shall be, detested in France."

Alex

Old 21st June 2011, 05:44 PM

Emil is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Possibly, but I have funding to double down and that is what I going to do regardless of whether anything is happening here or not.

Traffic is the goal. Long-term it seems assured. Short-term would be a bonus.
this is well put! agree 100%
Old 21st June 2011, 05:55 PM

Steve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enoughSteve Clarke will become famous soon enough

Verisign should make a public announcement, with as much fanfare as possible, about its intentions of applying for the .com/net, translations/transliterations, implementing them in the languages they've determined, and rolling them out over the next few months.

That might get some press acknowledgement, as everyone is talking about .coke, etc
and has almost totally missed the IDN.IDN implementation, for .com/net
Old 21st June 2011, 06:31 PM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisofmel View Post
Agree. IDN.IDN has to be activated first and developed IDN.IDN sites need to start showing up in search results. Traffic will pick up, but it will be a gradual process. Just because you were smart enough to register a bunch of generic .coms in 1994, does not mean you received a lot of traffic that year :-)
Old 21st June 2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clarke View Post
Verisign should make a public announcement, with as much fanfare as possible, about its intentions of applying for the .com/net, translations/transliterations, implementing them in the languages they've determined, and rolling them out over the next few months.

That might get some press acknowledgement, as everyone is talking about .coke, etc
and has almost totally missed the IDN.IDN implementation, for .com/net
Prepared for the American Palate and full of Trans Fats.