IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Parking and Affiliate Programs > IDN Domain Name Parking

IDN Domain Name Parking Forum for parking international Domain names & services.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th June 2011, 11:59 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bodis VS Namedrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbodis View Post
Indeed, Steve gave a good example of 3 of our new templates. We are actually launching 80+ templates just like those this week.

Also here are just some of the other features we are also launching alongside this new release this week:
  • 80+ templates
  • Ability for the user to choose the template
  • Ability for user to choose between 1-click and 2-click
  • Manage individual custom keywords on the parked page
  • Statistics for templates and keywords so you can see how they perform in comparison to other keywords and templates
  • Data on user searches, such as what visitors have searched for on a domain name in the past
  • Data on referers, countries, and more

As far as IDN support, we already have full IDN support on the parked pages.
Good feature list, Matt, just don't travel down the road of other parking companies (can parking companies travel?) and promote "features" over "income".

Very few users have time or frankly, the ability, to perform statistically significant A/B testing, so all the possible "tweaks" are often actually detrimental, as they cost the user time, and lead to confusion / frustration, plus will often lead to sub-optimal parking long term (i.e. the user will end up with a configuration for a given domain that is not optimal but then lacks the will / time / patience to correct it).

So in your interface and feature list, emphasise MAX INCOME rather than MAX FEATURES. How you implement that is down to you, but don't just assume giving the user an amazing array of options is the way to achieve it. Anyone who has parked a lot of domains for a long time will confirm too many options can overwhelm, confuse and often don't lead to the desired result, which is LONG-TERM increases in income.

I agree with Bill, that the single biggest enemy to both parking company and user of parking company is domains with few or no matching ads. These domains produce terrible relative income and also frustrate the heck out of the end user. So whatever you can to let your users EASILY know whether the current keyword settings will trigger ads (and how many) is a HUGE thing if it can be done. Plus somehow let the user know if those ads disappear.

Finally, I really think parking companies have really missed a huge opportunity by not leveraging revenue share %. Most have "done a Google" and kept it a secret, leading to mistrust. Many of us end users believe simply that parking companies turn the "income knob" just to a sufficiently high level to keep a customer. If income looks too good, turn it down until we start complaining.

Whether this is true 1% or 99%, its a damaging situation. So you should do everything possible to "lift the mist". Once you do that, you can use the openness about rev share % to actually improve the relationship with clients.

As an example, 80% to start, but incentivize clients to bring in more names by increasing % by % as earnings increase. Its a win-win. Invest in the relationship with clients, and many clients will stay with you long-term. Bear in mind many of your IDN clients will naturally value the "relationship" more highly than the "almighty $" ASCII-name clients.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but when I see a parking company (a) producing good results and (b) wanting to listen to customers, its kind of exciting because its been so rare in my 10-year parking experience.

Final thought: keep coming back to the forums, listening, and explaining, even sometimes you will get lots of abuse. We actually respect that approach, rather than the Sedo's of this world than run off at the first sign of a "lively debate"

Oh yeah, and use the questions / answers on the forums to keep a good FAQ with EXAMPLES up to date. That helps us all. Inspire us with real stories of "increase in CTR" caused by (a), (b), or (c) .....
Old 27th June 2011, 03:40 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Here is an example of page with Russian keywords related to "play games":

http://bodisparking.com/games-example.com

Can any one that is Russian speaking confirm?
The capitalization of the titles conforms to English rather than Russian capitalization rules.

The grammar of some of the word combinations sounds off, you can't just put two keywords together as in English and have a sentence that sounds grammatically correct, the words themselves will change based on their location next to each other. Context matters a lot in Russian with regards to grammar.

In short, we can tell that the games-example page was produced by a non-native speaker or company using translation software. This is not the case with RU-Center parking, which looks like it was produced by a native speaker.

It is also essential to get the most frequently used keyword words, rather than less frequently used synonyms. NameDrive is a good example of having some off and less frequently used synonyms as keywords in Russian. I spoke with someone from NameDrive at the IDN Event about this issue, and he agreed to fix it so that we get the right keywords for 'ringtones' for example. I haven't had a chance to do this, however, but it would be a quick run down the list and clean up that could mean a significant increase in relevant ads.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 27th June 2011 at 03:45 PM..
Old 30th June 2011, 02:32 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
All new customers are on a 80% revenue share. We are thinking of adding the revenue share % to the interface in the future.
Anything that you could do to help remove the 'Black Box' aspect of parking is going to get you customers. I know you have to take a percentage and I don't begrudge you that. All I ask is that it be constant. What does drive me crazy is when I see funny things happening with the results. The natural conclusion is that the parking company is arbitrarily adjusting things in their favor. Since we can't look into the box and see what is actually going on this builds distrust and frustration. How can I trust the rest of the data if any part of it is questionable?

If something does happen it is imperative that you communicate with your customers so that we aren't left to wonder.

To Namedrive: You evaluated every single click yesterday at 2¢. What gives? No comments in your blog, Nothing in the forums and nothing in my email explaining this.
Old 2nd July 2011, 12:32 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

One urgent "feature" request Mr Bodis. Can you start displaying IDN domains in both unicode and punycode in the admin interface? I remember Ryu requesting that months and months ago. Would really be a time-saver.
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:09 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
To Namedrive: You evaluated every single click yesterday at 2¢. What gives? No comments in your blog, Nothing in the forums and nothing in my email explaining this.
I have seen that happen too, then the next day they adjust account to actuals.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:15 AM

mattbodis is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
So in your interface and feature list, emphasise MAX INCOME rather than MAX FEATURES. How you implement that is down to you, but don't just assume giving the user an amazing array of options is the way to achieve it. Anyone who has parked a lot of domains for a long time will confirm too many options can overwhelm, confuse and often don't lead to the desired result, which is LONG-TERM increases in income
This is a great pointer and is one of the reasons I never pressed hard to release any features in the past. But users kept asking and well, eventually I decided to release features even if the users would make the mistakes of setting the wrong things that would lower revenue. I guess we have to keep a balance between what users want.

However, I definitely agree with you and want to keep revenue at an optimum. Therefore, I have already updated our upcoming UI to give a warning when setting a feature that may reduce revenue. This way users think twice about making that change of settings.

As far as revenue share, my idea is to start giving these numbers in the near future. We just have so much lined up and my developer is working on 3 projects at once that it is hard to get to anything on time. I think I need to hire more developers. I had the idea of "dynamic" revenue share as you suggest but it would be a little confusing and well, I think if someone had some unexpected drop in revenue (not their fault), then I don't know if they'd want to see their revenue share drop.

But at the same time it is very interesting as it can cause users to bring in more and more domains to see the revenue share increase as they bring in more....it is an interesting concept and one I will think very much about before implementing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho
Anything that you could do to help remove the 'Black Box' aspect of parking is going to get you customers. I know you have to take a percentage and I don't begrudge you that. All I ask is that it be constant. What does drive me crazy is when I see funny things happening with the results. The natural conclusion is that the parking company is arbitrarily adjusting things in their favor. Since we can't look into the box and see what is actually going on this builds distrust and frustration. How can I trust the rest of the data if any part of it is questionable?

If something does happen it is imperative that you communicate with your customers so that we aren't left to wonder.

I can't speak for other parking companies but I do see strange things myself. For instance last week all revenue from China visitors fell by 20-30%. There was no explanation from our upstream provider. Only after a week or so I asked a Chinese parking company and they explained that our upstream provider tweaked all of China to no longer show US ads in China which caused a massive drop in revenue.

Our upstream provider is always tweaking, and there are so many people behind that their product that even 99% of their own team doesn't know what happened. So there are always jumps and drops that are unexplainable.

It wouldn't really make sense to sit behind a computer and adjust revenue share of 15,000 user accounts daily based on if someone is complaining or not. That is just no way to run a business. I can't imagine any business in our industry doing that. Some parking companies like Sedo are public, and aren't making much profit if any. I don't think the parking companies are to blame, but I can only speak for myself. Some may be desperate enough to do something like this - I really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru
One urgent "feature" request Mr Bodis. Can you start displaying IDN domains in both unicode and punycode in the admin interface? I remember Ryu requesting that months and months ago. Would really be a time-saver.
Ah yes. I don't know why our developer hasn't included in current updated. But it is definitely on the list for the next one, whenever that will be. (hopefully soon).

Other than that, I am in middle of updated our network to a new datacenter with better infrastructure. So I apologize if it takes me a few days to reply to some of the posts here.
Old 8th July 2011, 05:27 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

The new 80+ Templates, are they live yet? I don't see any option in the admin panel with the option to choose these templates or maybe I missed it? Please advise
Old 8th July 2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Isn't it funny how all the parking companies always use the term "our upstream provider" because TheGreatGoogle deems that you aren't allowed to admit it's Google.

It's like being back in kindergarten again, isn't it?

Man, I look forward to the day when Google collapses into a big steaming heap of dog shit. That's my #2 best day after the release of .com IDN variants.
Old 9th July 2011, 05:35 AM

Heh. As with all things in this world, there are upsides and there are downsides to just about everything out there. Nothing is perfect.

To TrafficDomainer: Not yet released. But users would be notified as soon as they are live in the UI.
Old 9th July 2011, 06:13 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Hey Matt,

I tried to add two domains in my account and I saw a message saying that the domains belong to another user's account and they need to be verified, or something to that effect.

How long does it usually take before they get verified?
Old 11th July 2011, 06:02 AM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

the copyright notice at the foot of the page shows punycode, can that be fixed to show unicode?
Old 15th July 2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Indeed, Steve gave a good example of 3 of our new templates. We are actually launching 80+ templates just like those this week.

Also here are just some of the other features we are also launching alongside this new release this week:
  • 80+ templates
  • Ability for the user to choose the template
  • Ability for user to choose between 1-click and 2-click
  • Manage individual custom keywords on the parked page
  • Statistics for templates and keywords so you can see how they perform in comparison to other keywords and templates
  • Data on user searches, such as what visitors have searched for on a domain name in the past
  • Data on referers, countries, and more

As far as IDN support, we already have full IDN support on the parked pages.
A week is a long time in politics. In web dev, often even longer :p
Old 18th July 2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha
the copyright notice at the foot of the page shows punycode, can that be fixed to show unicode?
Good point. I didn't even notice. Surely can and will be fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni
Hey Matt,

I tried to add two domains in my account and I saw a message saying that the domains belong to another user's account and they need to be verified, or something to that effect.

How long does it usually take before they get verified?
Usually verification is within 24 hours. Our support should look those over at least once or twice a day.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:17 PM
Administrator

bramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished roadbramiozo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to bramiozo Send a message via Skype™ to bramiozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Isn't it funny how all the parking companies always use the term "our upstream provider" because TheGreatGoogle deems that you aren't allowed to admit it's Google.

It's like being back in kindergarten again, isn't it?

Man, I look forward to the day when Google collapses into a big steaming heap of dog shit. That's my #2 best day after the release of .com IDN variants.
Ditto..
Old 9th January 2012, 06:46 AM

welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough

Bodis seems to have just been updated with some good features, like traffic origin stats; catching up to ND. Still doesn't seem to have folders and displays names in punycode though.
Old 9th January 2012, 07:15 AM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

ND fucked up my account and their customer service people refuse to get back to me, so I've been stranded at Sedo. Maybe time I give Bodis a look in.
Old 9th January 2012, 07:42 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by welkin View Post
Bodis seems to have just been updated with some good features, like traffic origin stats; catching up to ND. Still doesn't seem to have folders and displays names in punycode though.
Yes,a pain in the arse that was supposedly being addressed!
Old 9th January 2012, 08:39 AM

There are many differences between the parking services, but one of the ones that now definitely sticks out is our traffic origin stats. There are no parking services currently offering these types of stats (CTR, CPC, Clicks, etc) on a referer URL basis. No one! So that's why we went ahead and implemented it! Because we want to innovate, push the envelope, and give users something truly unique that will help them improve their revenues and understand their own traffic. Did I mention, it is almost in real-time?

At the same time we look at this data ourselves and learn from it to, in order to improve our algorithms.

I hear you guys on the folders. This is long overdue but decided to push it back one last time because we have many new things coming and didn't want to overwhelm the users and myself as well.

We have a total of 4 big updates regarding Bodis, and this was the first of four. They are all spread out over a span of 60 days, so you can expect the next one in 0-2 weeks, and the last 2 by end of February or early March.

These are going to be all things that will greatly improve our system and take us to a completely different level. Every update is better than the last in my opinion, and I think the grand finale will get everyone to really consider Bodis over the competition.

We already have nearly edged out Namedrive, and hoping to take on the biggest parking companies. I believe that can be done only through honesty and innovation and really really giving the users something that will make them very very happy. And this is what I (and my developers) will be delivering over the course of the next few weeks.

Any suggestions, please let me know.

As far as the punycode suggestion, I have made a note and will seriously take care of this by Friday of this week.
Old 9th January 2012, 03:36 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clarke View Post
Those look like corrupted HTML pages that don't render correctly.

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 9th January 2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 9th January 2012, 06:24 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
The new 80+ Templates, are they live yet? I don't see any option in the admin panel with the option to choose these templates or maybe I missed it? Please advise
Matt, any update on the above please?