IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2011, 02:49 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Public Comment: How Do We Raise Global Awareness of New gTLDs?

We seek the public's suggestions on these strategies, and any constructive input that will help us leverage our limited budget, and the strengths of ICANN's volunteer community.

The comment period runs for 21 days. Please comment by 15 July.

http://www.icann.org/en/announcement...24jun11-en.htm

GOAL
The principal goal of this plan is to increase the likelihood of success for the new gTLD program and to
ensure that new gTLDs are communicated as clearly and comprehensibly as possible – both the
opportunities they present and the risks involved in applying for and operating one.
This will be achieved by significantly increasing global awareness of the new gTLD program. The
communications program will raise awareness among interested parties and applicants worldwide on
the who, what, when, where and why of new gTLDs.
A variety of media and marketing tools will be used with the coordinated support of the ICANN
community. Our outreach will be based on ICANN’s five geographic regions – Africa,
Asia/Australia/Pacific, Europe, Latin America/Caribbean and North America. Critical program
documentation will be available in the six official United Nations languages – Arabic, Chinese, English,
French, Russian and Spanish.

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-g...30may11-en.pdf
Old 24th June 2011, 02:56 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Public Comment: How Do We Raise Global Awareness of New gTLDs?

Thx
Old 24th June 2011, 03:17 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Thx
I just post things i find for later reference and at times to serve as proof to how long people chose to remain ignorant.

JS, The letter you wrote Ms. Dryden helped everyone that wants to see idn's awareness grow and if you maybe will find time to write one on this matter it would be great as i think before creating awareness it is absolutely necessary to stop the current confusion caused by alternative root operators, and it seems it's only communications issues which allow this to continue as if you look at his response you don't need to be a facial recognition expert to see what he feels towards all these alternate root operations.
Old 24th June 2011, 03:39 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Good idea Michael. Are you suggesting to get GAC involved on this matter or to comment on ICANN's communication plan ?

As always, thanks for posting these docs and policy updates here, lots of people only read the forums once in a while and don't bother visiting icann.org
Old 24th June 2011, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

It's also good to put them on record somewhere other than ICANN's servers because in the past documents there have been "disappeared".

Don't you love how they are charging $185k per application but are pleading poverty and want to use their "community" to do all the work while they sit back and enjoy the new corporate jet when it arrives.
Old 24th June 2011, 06:38 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Public Comment: How Do We Raise Global Awareness of New gTLDs?

My personal opinion: The most cost effecient and effective way in raising global awareness of new gTLDs is to fast track the introduction of IDN gTLDs such as .com and .net by exsiting operators as they don't need extra communication period. The success of such fast track program should have a good spill over effect to other new gTLDs that ICANN can use to promote. But once again ICANN will say ICAN'T with no acceptable logic.
Old 24th June 2011, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Track down some REAL non-domainer users of IDN.com and have them make submissions to ICANN comment periods in their native languages with translations attached, asking why they have to wait even longer before they can get their IDN.IDN's when ccTLD's got their's a year ago.

Also post evidence of users searching for translits at google, proving they're already expecting them to be working and that if Verisign doesn't get those translits, confusion will reign.
Old 24th June 2011, 07:17 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Track down some REAL non-domainer users of IDN.com and have them make submissions to ICANN comment periods in their native languages with translations attached, asking why they have to wait even longer before they can get their IDN.IDN's when ccTLD's got their's a year ago.

Also post evidence of users searching for translits at google, proving they're already expecting them to be working and that if Verisign doesn't get those translits, confusion will reign.
I am a domainer but for what it is worth my site that I could reference for having users searching for translits at google is a real site that provides a real service:

On GKT "เกมส์.com" (games.com in Thai) has 0 monthly search volume but the translit for the .com (ie .คอม) in Thai already has people search for my site:

GKT results:

เกมส์.คอม 90,500 (Broad)
"เกมส์.คอม" 27,100 (Phrase)

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 24th June 2011 at 07:28 PM..
Old 24th June 2011, 07:47 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
I am a domainer but for what it is worth my site that I could reference for having users searching for translits at google is a real site that provides a real service:

On GKT "เกมส์.com" (games.com in Thai) has 0 monthly search volume but the translit for the .com (ie .คอม) in Thai already has people search for my site:

GKT results:

เกมส์.คอม 90,500 (Broad)
then do as Drew suggests and submit a comment to that point.
Old 24th June 2011, 07:54 PM
Administrator

And do it in Thai and tell them people are expecting to find your site at เกมส์.คอม and you want to convert your (7 year old) เกมส์.com to เกมส์.คอม urgently.
Old 24th June 2011, 08:05 PM

Great suggestion. Thanks! Will work on this.

Cheers!
Old 24th June 2011, 08:18 PM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Umm, I thought Verisign had all this under control and they were just keeping quiet all this time so as to not rock the boat before the new gtld approval.

Any day now...
I can see the waters receeding. Traffic tsunami on the way.

Please don't ask for a fast track; it will take a couple of years before they approve guidelines and that would carry things way after the first, new gtlds go live.
Old 24th June 2011, 09:49 PM

The intention is to ask if they could consider speeding up the approval process for iGTLD versions of existing gTLDs that shouldn't need further communication period.

Eventhough I know I don't have much weight as a domain user but I am hoping it won't hurt to try. Already, Beckstrom has annouced that no new gTLDs will be approved before end of 2012. This means that as is we won't get the option to activate the translits of .coms for another 18 months at the very least and add to that about another 6 months or so for Verisign to launch. An additional 2 years wait is quite long considering some of us have already waited for 10 years.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post

GKT results:

เกมส์.คอม 90,500 (Broad)
Could they be looking for "games.com"? I see 165,000 broad for games.com...
Old 25th June 2011, 12:35 AM

The numbers are different so I don't think so.