IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2011, 10:49 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about
Tina is back! Free IDN TLD Training for ICANN IDN Top-Level Domain Name Applicants

http://mytld.com/blog/3014-free-idn-...ld-launch.html

By Tina Dam 23 hours 51 minutes ago
Font size:
MyTLD announces free IDN training sessions for IDN TLD applicants in need.
MyTLD is excited to announce a new initiative to support applicants for new IDN TLDs.
With ICANN's recently announced approval of the launch of the New gTLD Program it is critical that support is given to applicants for IDN gTLDs that do not hold the financial or technical ressources to participate. We have previosuly been writing about the importance of ensuring that communities in all scripts and languages are able to take part. See for example http://mytld.com/blog/3013-making_id...d_program.html
ICANN announced this week in Singapore a financial contribution of 2 million US$ in support for applicants from developing countries [details to be provided].
MyTLD is supporting this initiative by offering FREE IDN training sessions. The sessions will be conducted one-on-one by Tina Dam and will contain the following aspects:
  • IDN functionality
  • review of IDN limitations in various applications and suggestions of IDN TLD actitivies to help reduce the limitations
  • what considerations you need to make when you select your IDN string (.idn)
  • security considerations
  • development of the required IDN tables
  • information about how to make sure you fulfill the ICANN IDn Guidelines and the IDNA protocol
  • specific information about what to keep in mind in your script/language selection
  • recommendation for back-end registry operator (if you do not operate your own TLD)
  • recommendations generally for your IDN gTLD application to ICANN with respect to IDN related criteria
The free training sessions are available to certain community members only. In order to be eligible you need to be an IDN gTLD applicant and you need to be from a developing country or territory clearly in need of assistance and clearly with no techncal or financial means.
If your are an IDN ccTLD Fast Track applicant with the same need, then we can tailor the session around IDN ccTLD Fast Track requirements instead.
Please contact tina@mytld.com for more details and to arrange for a free training session.
Old 25th June 2011, 02:10 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough
Re: Tina is back! Free IDN TLD Training for ICANN IDN Top-Level Domain Name Applicant

I want free training.
Old 25th June 2011, 02:29 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Tina is back! Free IDN TLD Training for ICANN IDN Top-Level Domain Name Applicant

What kind of training
Old 25th June 2011, 04:20 PM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough

Sadly, on the MyTLD.com website, when clicking on the "IDN gTLDs" link, almost all of the focus is on IDN ccTLDs. From the interview in the first video (3:51 to 4:21) Tina was asked, "as far as ICANN is concerned What is your next biggest issue to tackle?"

Her answer was: "Well I think this first round is only going to be for country names. So, it's country names as extensions on the web addresses. The next thing around is going to be the generic terms so just like we're use to seeing dot com today, you know, dot info and multiple other generic terms as extensions in the web address those can become internationalized as well, so that will be one of the next steps."

Those "can become" internationalized? Or those "will become" internationalized?

So, for a section of the site that I thought was going to be about IDN gTLDs, it seems that IDN gTLDs will just be "one of the next steps?"

I would have, at least, expected a little more clarity on the deployment of IDN gTLDs. Like, what's the time frame for IDN gTLDs? How long after IDN ccTLDs? Any examples, like the chart showing IDN ccTLDs? And, why are they coming some time later?

They make it seem like IDN gTLDs are not as important, but will or might be added sometime later.

NOTE to Tina: If you're going to make the section about IDN ccTLDs, then please change the link to indicate that, and not "IDN gTLDs!"
Old 25th June 2011, 09:19 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
What kind of training
Potty Training
Old 25th June 2011, 09:44 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Give the girl a break ... FFS

Last edited by mulligan; 25th June 2011 at 09:45 PM..
Old 25th June 2011, 09:47 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

there is nothing wrong with Blast getting potty trained, he is waaay long overdue.

Last edited by DktoInc; 25th June 2011 at 09:48 PM..
Old 26th June 2011, 01:59 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Give the girl a break ... FFS
A cynic (not me obviously) might say all her hard work at ICANN was in preparation for "jumping ship" as soon as the new TLD goldrush was in full swing and the massive consultancy fees from dozens of sources could come in. Darned those cynical cynics!

Was it ever explained how / why she left the ICANN gig?
Old 26th June 2011, 02:13 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

This link needs fixing as well:

http://mytld.com/why-us/why_us.html

Obviously they have expertise in new TLDs but not in making a basic website.
Old 29th July 2011, 11:48 PM

TinaDam is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for noticing

sorry I am not good enough, to your standards, to make a website but it's fun to try and I enjoy it.

do you really think 8 years at ICANN is jumping ship? I am still consulting for the organization and trying to do something good for the Internet. I guess this forum will not ever be able to understand that I am one of those people that truely want to do something good for the Internet and for it's users.

why I left ICANN. really? first of all I dont think I left...per the above. but since I am so seriously sick and tired of that question, and me being questioned constantly let me tell you that I was really sick from all the travelling, the stress, and general exposure to a lot of differet bacteria etc. so sick that I could not move or stand on my legs, and the rest of my body was shutting down. so there you have it. that was the primary reason. I simply needed a break to take care of my health. good enough?
Old 30th July 2011, 12:14 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Good to see you back here Tina Glad to hear you took the break to take care of your health and is still consulting for ICANN.

I know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if there is still a possibility for IDN gTLDs being fast tracked? We were earlier told that the introduction of any type of IDN (ccTLDs VS gTLDs) shouldn't be advantageous over another. However, as it stands it appears the ball has been dropped on fast track IDN gTLDs and the status quo is such that IDN gTLDs will be at a disadvantage in term of timing by about 2-3 years at the very least. Any word on this please?

Thanks!
Old 30th July 2011, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Understand regarding catching all the bacteria and germs everywhere. I caught a wicked flu virus at Mexico ICANN, I think it was the precursor to the big flu outbreak.

Just bizarre how the organisation put in charge of the "technicals" of the Internet can't set up a system so it can all be done on-line.

Don't feel bad about jumping ship. If it's good enough for PDT...
Old 30th July 2011, 02:28 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Hi Tina,

Welcome back. A couple of questions about the new gTLD program, if you don't mind.

First, I have the impression that a large number of new gTLD applications will be for .brand, rather than for .generic-word (in other words, more .toyota than .music). Do you think that's the case? Any guesses as to percentages?

Second, how many of the .brand applicants are applying for IDN gTLDs of their brands as well as ascii? Is that something you can estimate?

Thanks,

Avtal
Old 30th July 2011, 06:07 AM

@ trafficdomainer - I guess it depends on what you mean by fasttracked. As you know all gTLD (IDN or not) will need to go in at ICANN from 12 January 2012/3mths and then evaluations starts. While evaulations will be done in parallel I could imagine that some/certain IDN gTLD applications will be straightforward when it comes to evaulations (some ASCII will for sure too) and so maybe this means they will be "fasttracked" compared to applications that need extended evaulations or have string contention etc. But nothing in the ICANN gTLD Program is aimed at favoring IDN gTLDs over ASCII gTLDs...its all in one....

@Avtal - I think your guess is as good as mine Right now applicants are still coming out of the woodwork. In a couple of months we will likely be able to better estimate .brand. If a few major brands are announcing such initiative then I am sure the overall number will hit the roof..... About IDN gTLD versions of brands...the world have been rather quite overall in terms of IDN gTLDs so I only know of a few initiatives out there at the moment. I did get some inquiries from previously unknown entities for IDN gTLD applications based on the "Free IDN Training announcement http://mytld.com/blog/3014-free-idn-...ld-launch.html - but I still think your guess is as good or actually better than mine!

Tina

PS. About http://mytld.com, we are still working on getting this really good - so positive and constructive feedback (we all know who that leaves out) is always appreciated
Old 30th July 2011, 06:13 AM

Btw, there are a few good places to see lists of new gTLDs out there...in case you did not know it here is one that I think is pretty comprehensive: http://www.dot-nxt.com/applicants/all

You can split it into brands, community, etc...the list of brands is VERY short - this far only 4 listed.

Last edited by TinaDam; 30th July 2011 at 06:13 AM..
Old 30th July 2011, 06:15 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

On the number of IDN gTLD applications, this is not exactly being helped by the Global Awareness compaign with a budget of $750K. Frankly, that makes ICANN look like a bunch of muppets.
Old 30th July 2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
On the number of IDN gTLD applications, this is not exactly being helped by the Global Awareness compaign with a budget of $750K. Frankly, that makes ICANN look like a bunch of muppets.
Thanks RD,you always have these awesome suggestions on how to make things better!

Last edited by TinaDam; 30th July 2011 at 06:43 AM..
Old 30th July 2011, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam View Post
Btw, there are a few good places to see lists of new gTLDs out there...in case you did not know it here is one that I think is pretty comprehensive: http://www.dot-nxt.com/applicants/all

You can split it into brands, community, etc...the list of brands is VERY short - this far only 4 listed.
A number of interesting conflicts to resolve there. Sit back and watch the .web fireworks.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaDam View Post
Thanks RD,you always have these awesome suggestions on how to make things better!
Only too pleased to be able to assist.
Old 30th July 2011, 11:33 AM

has2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished roadhas2hands is on a distinguished road

Hello Tina,

Lets forget abut all this IDN and other stuff and talk about you and me.

I always found you a pretty, smiling light in this male world and appreciate your appearance, knowledge and intelligence.

The simple act of Tina saying or doing something made my day A pretty face in amongst the male dominated world...a whiff of perfume that lasts the whole day.

So thanks for bringing beauty and intelligence into my domaining world! And stay away from those 3rd world countries and germs, I need you healthy and active

Paul

NOTE: I am happily married to the best woman in the world but just needed to state some facts.