IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2011, 08:45 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
.kom trademark

Some funny people applied for .kom, kom trademark

http://domainnamewire.com/2011/07/05...struction-hub/

1.4 billion dollars, that's the $$ in Verisign's war chest last time I checked

Last edited by squirrel; 5th July 2011 at 08:58 PM..
Old 5th July 2011, 09:05 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: .kom trademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
1.4 billion dollars, that's the $$ in Verisign's war chest last time I check
And i think they can keep these $ where they are. Take the imaginary scenario where verisign announces it doesn't care which new gtld's go to who even if looking and sounding and at times meaning what .com means, even in that imaginary scenario ICANN will need to step in and see that anything that is confusing will go to either verisign or a company under the control and terms as verisign and which can only be appointed with full agreement and collaboration from verisign.

Since obviously as we heard numerous times directly from verisign, the only thing they plan to do is insure each domain including all and any variations of any kind you can imagine will resolve at the same place and be registered to the same registrant, these attempts are not even original and will fail, and it isn't like they ever had a chance.

One example i remember from domain the net, the registrar that is still for a reason i don't understand is holding icann's license to spread confusion with it's alternate root 'domain' sales alongside ICANN's official seal and more on topic, they have previously attempted getting a TM on .קום

http://www.trademarks.justice.gov.il...mcaseid=161537

The important part is that this is way too big for anyone to stop or really even affect in any way, it's just that all those who don't know enough about domains will later understand they weren't at all in the right place at the right time as it may have seemed.

Would be interesting to see if verisign will do anything about it, i think they won't, like a lion won't start chasing every mosquito that is flying around him.
Old 5th July 2011, 09:52 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: .kom trademark

If you look at the transcript of the final GAC meeting you will see that the ICANN Board was adamant that usage had to proven to prevent this kind of front running. The registrations are worthless and will not result in anyone being able to register anything that can be deemed confusingly similar to existing TLDs. The boat has sailed.

Verisign, however, are likely to have to declare their position soon. The longer this kind of activity persists the sooner they are likely to be forced to show their hand. Trust me. They are holding all the aces.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 5th July 2011 at 09:55 PM..