IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice
Exclamation VeriSign’s Pat Kane Discusses New TLDs and IDNs

you can expect .com equivalents in Japanese, Hangul, Chinese, Cyrillic, Arabic, and Hebrew.

http://domainnamewire.com/2011/07/07...tlds-and-idns/
Old 7th July 2011, 05:23 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: VeriSign’s Pat Kane Discusses New TLDs and IDNs

So what are you all waiting for?

Do you need it written in blood and witnessed by the Cambridges?
Old 7th July 2011, 05:29 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
So what are you all waiting for?

Do you need it written in blood and witnessed by the Cambridges?

something in written regarding the aliasing of .kom to .com would be nice for a change.
Old 7th July 2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Indeed, VeriSign will likely play a big role in bringing native scripts and languages to the web. The company plans to apply for between 9-20 transliterations of .com in order to offer a resolution service.

“We’re trying to extend the value proposition of .com,” he explained. “It’s not new domain space, it’s a resolution service.”

Plans call for registrants of existing second level .com domains to be able to select .com transliterations to resolve. This extends even to existing Latin-script domains, so Nike can resolve Nike.IDN if it wants to.
So which bit of "RD was Spot On" are you struggling with?

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 7th July 2011 at 05:31 PM..
Old 7th July 2011, 05:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
something in written regarding the aliasing of .kom to .com would be nice for a change.
So how exactly would you transliterate dot Com into Russian?
Old 7th July 2011, 05:35 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
So how exactly would you transliterate dot Com into Russian?

"дот ком" but what are you leaning towards with this?

Last edited by DktoInc; 7th July 2011 at 05:36 PM..
Old 7th July 2011, 05:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
"дот ком" but what are you leaning towards with this?
He exactly stated that owners of dot Coms would be entitled to .ком.

He made it very clear that this was going to be an extension of service to registrants of existing domains and not and extension of the domain space.

It is time now for the Domain Industry to recognise a true Guru.

Most of the Industry actually owe me an apology.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 7th July 2011 at 05:52 PM..
Old 7th July 2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
He exactly stated that owners of dot Coms would be entitled to .ком.

He made it very clear that this was going to be an extension of service to registrants of existing domains and not and extension of the domain space.

It is time now for the Domain Industry to recognise the a true Guru.

Most of the Industry actually owe me an apology.

I know Duck i know, I am just pulling your leg cause you get so emotional.

Otherwise congrads.

Do you have names of people who owe you an appology? We can start a new poll.

Last edited by DktoInc; 7th July 2011 at 05:56 PM..
Old 7th July 2011, 06:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I know Duck i know, I am just pulling your leg cause you get so emotional.

Do you have names of people who owe you an appology? We can start a new poll.
Well you could start with the entire Forum and Name Pros.

The Costello twits would feature well up the list.

Rick Schartz for sure.

Even the likes of Frank Schilling and Ron Jackson for totally failing to understand the significance of what I have told them.

Even the vast majority of members in this Forum.

Sedo should be making out on their hands and knees.

And perhaps we could have a ceremonial sacrifice with Acro.
Old 7th July 2011, 06:08 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Dave is definitely a true Guru no doubt and has been right all along about IDN aliasing. Congrats to Dave and all of us who have withstood all the redicules against all odds. As far as I can tell, this is Verisign's first public statement on IDN aliasing commitment after the new gTLDs approval in Singapore. We have been waiting for this and finally Verisign speaks!

Now Hebrew was mentioned as one of the languages for the translits and there are about 5.3 million speakers or so. Surprisingly, Thai with about 70 million native speakers wasn't mentioned. I am hoping Thai is one of the 9-20 tranlits Verisign is applying for.

"Indeed, VeriSign will likely play a big role in bringing native scripts and languages to the web. The company plans to apply for between 9-20 transliterations of .com in order to offer a resolution service. "

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 7th July 2011 at 06:11 PM..
Old 7th July 2011, 06:15 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
Dave is definitely a true Guru no doubt and has been right all along about IDN aliasing. Congrats to Dave and all of us who have withstood all the redicules against all odds. As far as I can tell, this is Verisign's first public statement on IDN aliasing commitment after the new gTLDs approval in Singapore. We have been waiting for this and finally Verisign speaks!

Now Hebrew was mentioned as one of the languages for the translits and there are about 5.3 million speakers or so. Surprisingly, Thai with about 70 million native speakers wasn't mentioned. I am hoping Thai is one of the 9-20 tranlits Verisign is applying for.

"Indeed, VeriSign will likely play a big role in bringing native scripts and languages to the web. The company plans to apply for between 9-20 transliterations of .com in order to offer a resolution service. "
I think what gets forgotten is that there are many more Languages than Scripts. Transliteration will be into Scripts rather than Languages. Thai will certainly be on the list. Just do the Maths.

Remember Variants will not constitute separate registrations. Urdu, Farsi, Hoasa and Arabic will be a single registration.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 7th July 2011 at 06:20 PM..
Old 7th July 2011, 06:30 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think what gets forgotten is that there are many more Languages than Scripts. Transliteration will be into Scripts rather than Languages. Thai will certainly be on the list. Just do the Maths.
Yeah, I think so too. My guess is Thai wasn't mentioned as current number IDN.com registrations is a little bit below Hebrew at #8 as per below from Mulligan's stats. But that is probably partially because many Thais are not as bilingual in English as Hebrew speakers and the news about IDNs has predominantly been in English. I am pretty confident that when the news of ".com" aliasing to ".คอม" in Thai is well publicized in the Thai media in Thai language, the 70 million Thai speakers will wake up.

Mulligan's Stats:

.com & .net figures for language (These are not totally accurate so allow ± 1% and some languages are not represented as they got swallowed up in other languages )

.com (May 2011 - 791,509)

1) Chinese / Kanji: 362,535 (45.80%)
2) Latin: 190,770 (24.10%)
3) Korean: 87,036 (10.99%)
4) Arabic / Persian etc: 40,817 (5.15%)
5) Cyrillic: 31,581 (3.99%)
6) Hirangana / Katakana: 30,904 (3.90%)
7) Hebrew: 18,885 (2.38%)
8) Thai: 15,500 (1.95%)
9) India: 5,289 (0.67%)
10)Greek: 2,851 (0.36%)
11) Misc: 5,341 (0.67%)

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 7th July 2011 at 06:38 PM..
Old 7th July 2011, 06:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I think so too. My guess is Thai wasn't mentioned as current number IDN.com registrations is a little bit below Hebrew as per below from Mulligan's stats. But that is probably partially because many Thais are not as bilingual in English as Hebrew speakers and the news about IDNs has predominantly been in English. I am pretty confident that when the news of ".com" aliasing to ".คอม" in Thai is well publicized in the Thai media in Thai language, the 70 million Thai speakers will wake up.

Mulligan's Stats:

.com & .net figures for language (These are not totally accurate so allow ± 1% and some languages are not represented as they got swallowed up in other languages )

.com (May 2011 - 791,509)

1)Chinese / Kanji: 362,535 (45.80%)
2)Latin: 190,770 (24.10%)
3)Korean: 87,036 (10.99%)
4)Arabic / Persian etc: 40,817 (5.15%)
5)Cyrillic: 31,581 (3.99%)
6)Hirangana / Katakana: 30,904 (3.90%)
7)Hebrew: 18,885 (2.38%)
8)Thai: 15,500 (1.95%)
9)India: 5,289 (0.67%)
10)Greek: 2,851 (0.36%)
11) Misc: 5,341 (0.67%)
Yes, and Thai is not the only language that uses the script I believe.
Old 7th July 2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, and Thai is not the only language that uses the script I believe.
No, Thai is the only language that uses Thai script. Laotian or Lao is closely related to Thai but they have their own script. Similarly the Thais (or Tai People) in the Shan state of Burma uses the Mon script and not Thai script although their spoken language is similar to Thai.
Old 7th July 2011, 06:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
No, Thai is the only language that uses Thai script. Laotian or Lao is closely related to Thai but they have their own script. Similarly the Thais (or Tai People) in the Shan state of Burma uses the Mon script and not Thai script although their spoken language is similar to Thai.
My mistake. Then the Loa Traffic must be from an expatriate.
Old 7th July 2011, 07:32 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

@RD I don't always agree with your approach, but yeah you absolutely called this, nailed it in fact - and looking back to when I first got into this, it was only because your voice was unavoidable out there, but rather than just follow you like a lemming, it encouraged me to take a closer look; something that I'm of course glad I did.

I'm big enough to say I owe you for that - Kudos to you Dave.

But even with all this confirmation I can't spend any of it - the traffic was and still is the key to the short term $ - let's hope this enables it as we presume.
Old 7th July 2011, 07:58 PM

Note also that there is no mentioning of Verisign applying for .net translits. Understandably so, this will also mean that IDN.net domains will be further on the backburner for most native speakers for now.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
@RD I don't always agree with your approach, but yeah you absolutely called this, nailed it in fact - and looking back to when I first got into this, it was only because your voice was unavoidable out there, but rather than just follow you like a lemming, it encouraged me to take a closer look; something that I'm of course glad I did.

I'm big enough to say I owe you for that - Kudos to you Dave.

But even with all this confirmation I can't spend any of it - the traffic was and still is the key to the short term $ - let's hope this enables it as we presume.
We may have had our difference but I have always admired your commitment.

Yeah, it is still going to be a while before we can all hang up our boots. But you are either in or you are not.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Note also that there is no mentioning of Verisign applying for .net translits. Understandably so, this will also mean that IDN.net domains will be further on the backburner for most native speakers for now.
Pat Kane has always previously talked about dot Nets. Perhaps he simply wanted the dot Com crowd to take the message seriously. They have alway derided dot Net. Wrongly, in my opinion.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:31 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

Chuck Gomes....
http://domainnamewire.com/2010/02/26...ecome-clearer/

Essentially, if you have a second level .com domain name, then you’ll get the right to “activate” that second level domain in any of the .com-equivalent IDNs that VeriSign gets. The same goes for .net.

Quote:

Last edited by tee1; 7th July 2011 at 08:34 PM..