IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2011, 04:32 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
comments re: ICANN com plan

http://www.icann.org/en/public-comme...24jun11-en.htm

comment period closes tomorrow.

I'm thinking about filing a comment to the effect that the communication plan should spread the word about IDN.IDN in more languages that the UN 6.

I am also considering suggesting that ICANN enters a Memorandum of Understanding with existing registries who plan to apply of IDN versions of existing TLDs (Verisign, dot Asia, Affilias too perhaps) to (i) provide examples of what a fully internationalized domain will look like, i.e. example.asia in hangul, etc. - I think it's important that all the blogs, online magazines be fed examples otherwise most people will not really understand what's it is all about - (ii) share costs.

I'm not sure that what I'm suggesting is even possible - may even be detrimental to Verisign (?) opinions welcome

PS: Anybody here fluent in a language other than english should file a comment about IDNs, a two liner will do (I am a registrant/webmaster of IDNs and I want you to promote IDNs in my language).
Old 14th July 2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: comments re: ICANN com plan

Your obviously new to all this if you think they give a damn what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
http://www.icann.org/en/public-comme...24jun11-en.htm

comment period closes tomorrow.

I'm thinking about filing a comment to the effect that the communication plan should spread the word about IDN.IDN in more languages that the UN 6.

I am also considering suggesting that ICANN enters a Memorandum of Understanding with existing registries who plan to apply of IDN versions of existing TLDs (Verisign, dot Asia, Affilias too perhaps) to (i) provide examples of what a fully internationalized domain will look like, i.e. example.asia in hangul, etc. - I think it's important that all the blogs, online magazines be fed examples otherwise most people will not really understand what's it is all about - (ii) share costs.

I'm not sure that what I'm suggesting is even possible - may even be detrimental to Verisign (?) opinions welcome

PS: Anybody here fluent in a language other than english should file a comment about IDNs, a two liner will do (I am a registrant/webmaster of IDNs and I want you to promote IDNs in my language).
Old 14th July 2011, 04:52 PM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Your obviously new to all this if you think they give a damn what you think.
Thanks RD, I'll do it anyway
Old 14th July 2011, 07:48 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
there's no point.

Ironically, any non-ascii characters show up as ???? in their comment system

only ICANN can be so retarded
Old 14th July 2011, 07:56 PM

wtf
Old 14th July 2011, 08:02 PM

I can't believe you guys put up with that shit for so long
Old 14th July 2011, 08:10 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
I can't believe you guys put up with that shit for so long
It's a game of patience. After a while you just laugh it off.
Old 14th July 2011, 08:24 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
there's no point.

Ironically, any non-ascii characters show up as ???? in their comment system

only ICANN can be so retarded
I sent them an email about my Thai comment not showing up properly (ie. as ????)and got the response below 3 days ago. They still haven't fixed it. It's a shame that a global organization wanting to create "global" awareness let this happen in the first place. I know my comment probably doesn't mean anything and has close to 0 weight to them but I thought I will try anyway in case there are sensible folks left at ICANN who really still care about the global audience.

From ICANN:

"I wanted to get back to you regarding the Thai portion of your comments not showing up.Our web team is trying to change the coding so it will show up. If all goes as planned, there will be no further action on your part. If not, I will be in touch. Thanks!
Michele"

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 14th July 2011 at 08:29 PM..
Old 14th July 2011, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Too fucking funny. Another ICANNepicfail.
Old 14th July 2011, 09:59 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91oYi...eature=related
Old 15th July 2011, 05:45 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
I sent them an email about my Thai comment not showing up properly (ie. as ????)and got the response below 3 days ago. They still haven't fixed it. It's a shame that a global organization wanting to create "global" awareness let this happen in the first place. I know my comment probably doesn't mean anything and has close to 0 weight to them but I thought I will try anyway in case there are sensible folks left at ICANN who really still care about the global audience.

From ICANN:

"I wanted to get back to you regarding the Thai portion of your comments not showing up.Our web team is trying to change the coding so it will show up. If all goes as planned, there will be no further action on your part. If not, I will be in touch. Thanks!
Michele"
looks like an ICANN staffer manually added it: http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtl.../msg00011.html

Last edited by alpha; 15th July 2011 at 05:47 AM..
Old 15th July 2011, 04:55 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
looks like an ICANN staffer manually added it: http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtl.../msg00011.html
Thanks for letting me know Gary. I also got this back from them:

"Hello Normally our forum software correctly converts text of comment submissions to UTF-8 encoding for presentation. In the case of your recent message this conversion was not occurring correctly and required further troubleshooting. I’ve spent significant time with our tech support troubleshooting this issue, but cannot provide a fast, direct solution. Therefore, in the interest of time I’ve gone ahead and resubmitted your comment on your behalf to correct the encoding."

The formatting in Thai as displayed is still off from how I wrote it but it is at least readable.
Old 18th July 2011, 04:59 PM

Update from ICANN on formatting (irregular line wrapping):

"Hello Unfortunately, after a second attempt, I was still unsuccessful at correcting the formatting (irregular line wrapping). Following your reply below, I copied the exact text of your original message, manually removed line breaks in HTML, then pasted the material into the body of a new message. Unfortunately, however, this second attempt yielded the same line wrapping as the earlier submission at http://forum.icann.org/lists/new-gtl.../msg00011.html So I’ve kept the first submission in place. I regret that I could not alter the formatting for you."

This partially is an evidence supporting the notion that ICANN doesn't really think much about/care or would give any kind of priority to idn.idn for gTLDs eventhough lots of evidence exist to support the overdue unmet need of the world population in various languages urgently.

It's a disgrace that their forum which is supposed to be able to display unicode correctly fails miserably. Talk about their "One World One Internet" policy and how they have the nerve to solicit comments on how to promote "Global Awareness" without caring whether the audience is able to receive information in different languages. I appreciate the staff's help nonetheless but regret that a global organization like ICANN can't get their house in order and do the thing right let alone doing the right thing.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 18th July 2011 at 05:09 PM..