IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2011, 08:56 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Verisign Announces Increase in .com/.net Domain Name Fees

DULLES, VA, Jul 14, 2011 (MARKETWIRE via COMTEX) -- VeriSign, Inc. VRSN -1.83% , the trusted provider of Internet infrastructure services for the networked world, today announced, effective Jan. 15, 2012, an increase in registry domain name fees for .com and .net, per its agreements with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

Verisign announced that as of Jan. 15, 2012, the registry fee for .com domain names will increase from $7.34 to $7.85 and that the registry fee for .net domain names will increase from $4.65 to $5.11.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ver...k=MW_news_stmp
Old 14th July 2011, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy
Re: Verisign Announces Increase in .com/.net Domain Name Fees

Please, somebody, explain to me the reason behind the price difference, other than "because they can".
Old 14th July 2011, 09:41 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Rather then focus on the main issue IDN.IDN, they're already going off track thinking about how to extract some more money where they know they will have no problem doing so. Great!
Old 14th July 2011, 09:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Please, somebody, explain to me the reason behind the price difference, other than "because they can".
Well perhaps they want to get this price increase through before they do the "negotiation" for IDN. As we are not getting new domains, then they are not simply going to be able to charge an unlocking fee without some kind of formal agreement with ICANN. It will almost be a renegotiation of their dot com contract. I am not even sure why I said "almost".
Old 14th July 2011, 10:00 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91oYi...eature=related
Old 14th July 2011, 10:04 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

And I announce a decrease on the number of domains I will renew. Exactly in the same proportions.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:16 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
I'll try. Although Verisign’s cost should have technnically decreased over the past fewyears, Verisign’s entertainment and lobying expenses have skyrocketed including the wining and dining of the new CEO of Icann and other expensive parties at various Icann meetings.

Being a monopoly on .com and .net strings, they have been given the exclusive right to print all the money they want at our expense.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:20 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Well perhaps they want to get this price increase through before they do the "negotiation" for IDN. As we are not getting new domains, then they are not simply going to be able to charge an unlocking fee without some kind of formal agreement with ICANN. It will almost be a renegotiation of their dot com contract. I am not even sure why I said "almost".
I hope you are right. But I think they will still get away with the activation fees when idn.idn is launched.
Old 15th July 2011, 02:49 AM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

unlocking fee/ activation fee.... the bend over is coming...

a one time fee is one thing...

but to charge $14++ per year, would be a nice well shot through the foot...
Old 15th July 2011, 03:20 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbe18 View Post
unlocking fee/ activation fee.... the bend over is coming...

a one time fee is one thing...

but to charge $14++ per year, would be a nice well shot through the foot...
One time fee? Not a chance in the world. VeriSign envisages a future where each "domain" will have 20 or 30 .com "transliterations" customers can choose to activate for an annual consideration. I have no idea of price structure for this annual consideration, but it will be annual, that's a 100% certainty. They are in this to grow their annual revenues, a one-time fee wouldn't be the way to do that.
Old 15th July 2011, 03:42 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

yep i think we will be paying twice what we pay now annual to renew if they are activated, i don't really seeing them giving us a break. hope i am wrong
Old 15th July 2011, 03:51 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

I'm not really bothered to be honest. I'm in this for (a) parking revenue, (b) development, and (c) selling to end users.

For (b) and (c) the doubling of the fee isn't relevant. For (a), I will only activate on names that make it financially worthwhile to do so. Which is obviously a pita in management terms, but the bottom line is if the name ain't producing parking revenue, it won't be costing me double.

The main thing is this is actually going to happen!!
Old 15th July 2011, 04:17 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
I'm not really bothered to be honest. I'm in this for (a) parking revenue, (b) development, and (c) selling to end users.

For (b) and (c) the doubling of the fee isn't relevant. For (a), I will only activate on names that make it financially worthwhile to do so. Which is obviously a pita in management terms, but the bottom line is if the name ain't producing parking revenue, it won't be costing me double.

The main thing is this is actually going to happen!!
my exact thoughts you will only activate your developed names and ones that produce good parking revenue.
Old 15th July 2011, 04:21 AM

yanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished roadyanni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to yanni Send a message via Skype™ to yanni

Then how would you know what kind of traffic you're missing on the non activated ones? I thought there's a traffic tsunami coming behind all of them idns.

You would have to activate all during the first year, no?
Old 15th July 2011, 04:26 AM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

What do you guys suppose the activation fee might be in $ amount? Any thoughts?
Old 15th July 2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanni View Post
Then how would you know what kind of traffic you're missing on the non activated ones? I thought there's a traffic tsunami coming behind all of them idns.

You would have to activate all during the first year, no?
Trial and error obviously. If a domain is getting zero traffic as ".com", it probably won't get much on (IDN).com.

Not every domain is going to get traffic, regardless of the letters after the last "." - you can't polish a turd even if you double its size, as they say.

But yeah, trial and error, and also that will be on a name by name basis eventually .... (hence yet again I am happy at downsizing to a more manageable bunch of names a few years ago.)

But to address your point directly, for some names, yeah, the traffic will multiply up, that is for sure.

I would just activate names "gradually", starting from the ones with the most .com traffic (or income), seeing how much traffic increased, and eventually you get down to the names where activation wasn't going to get back the activation fee. Not too hard, especially if you have one of Alpha's spreadsheets!

Last edited by domainguru; 15th July 2011 at 04:48 AM..
Old 15th July 2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdnHost View Post
What do you guys suppose the activation fee might be in $ amount? Any thoughts?
If you mean annual activation fee, VeriSign will probably press for same fee as current ".com" activation fee. If you mean one-off activation fee, can't answer that as I don't believe it will happen.
Old 15th July 2011, 04:52 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
If you mean annual activation fee, VeriSign will probably press for same fee as current ".com" activation fee.
The final result is what matters anyways. Solely Idn.idn is what i would like pay for on renewals. I doubt too many idn.ascii will be kept unless it's mandatory.

Last edited by DktoInc; 15th July 2011 at 04:53 AM..
Old 15th July 2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
The final result is what matters anyways. Solely Idn.idn is what i would like pay for on renewals. I doubt too many idn.ascii will be kept unless it's mandatory.
Two good points:

(1) Will .com be mandatory? (VeriSign would love it to be so!)
(2) Over time, the need to keep the .com version will recede.
Old 15th July 2011, 05:27 AM

yes hopefully you could activate idn.idn and deactivate the idn.ascii as traffic levels drop off over time.