IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > Regional Specific Discussion > 日本語ドメイン

日本語ドメイン Discussion for Japan IDN Domain names. Japanese IDNs are available in .com .net & .jp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2006, 03:30 AM

idnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enoughidnowner will become famous soon enough
Japanese IDNs - Traffic UP?

My IDNs seem to be getting about 25-30% more traffic overnight (About 3PM to 11PM Japan Time). But still, the sample is small, and may not be statistically significant.... gone from about 15 to 20 hits to 20 to 25 hits, on average for the 8-hour period. Anyone else seeing a noticable increase in Japanese IDNs? I won't be too thrilled, until the hits start to reach into the 100s and 1000s.

I wonder how many versions of Japanese IE7 have been installed... anyone have any idea?
Old 19th May 2006, 03:40 AM

Giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese IDNs - Traffic UP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnowner
My IDNs seem to be getting about 25-30% more traffic overnight (About 3PM to 11PM Japan Time). But still, the sample is small, and may not be statistically significant.... gone from about 15 to 20 hits to 20 to 25 hits, on average for the 8-hour period. Anyone else seeing a noticable increase in Japanese IDNs? I won't be too thrilled, until the hits start to reach into the 100s and 1000s.

I wonder how many versions of Japanese IE7 have been installed... anyone have any idea?
You can check if the increases were visited by IE7.

Dot Com is King. IDN.com will soon be king.
@
Old 19th May 2006, 06:06 AM
Veteran

touchring is an unknown quantity at this point

It is impossible to notice an increase over just one or two days, natural type-in traffic itself fluctuates quite a lot for domains with little traffic. Also, you need to use only Asia traffic, as speculator traffic is quite substantial for Japanese names.

I notice a 20% increase this month over the previous month.
Old 20th June 2006, 09:04 AM

rhys is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok for the month of June so far, asian based traffic for my Japanese IDN's parked at ND constitute 66% of my total traffic with the other 1/3 coming primarily from North America. A few short months ago, Asian traffic was between 10% and 20%. Asian traffic is also about 95% of my clickthroughs.

That is pretty exciting. Anybody else?
Old 20th June 2006, 09:25 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys
Ok for the month of June so far, asian based traffic for my Japanese IDN's parked at ND constitute 66% of my total traffic with the other 1/3 coming primarily from North America. A few short months ago, Asian traffic was between 10% and 20%. Asian traffic is also about 95% of my clickthroughs.

That is pretty exciting. Anybody else?
Well in terms of Click Through, North America has gone from Everything to Nothing.

Japan is not very exiting in terms of traffic compared with Russian and Arabic. Most Russian is shown as European, whilst the majority of the Arabic is coming from Other (Africa). Even Farsi seems to be getting much more traffic and better click throughs than Japan.
Old 20th June 2006, 09:44 AM

Edwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished roadEdwin is on a distinguished road

So far - and we're talking hundreds, not thousands of visitors - my Asian traffic to my Japanese domains is almost exactly the same as last month was at the same time, but I've already earned 7x last month's earnings with a third of the month still to go, which would imply an approximately 10x improvement over last month as a result of the implementation of Japanese support by ND.

There is still some weird stuff going on, though. For instance, I've had two clicks on "インターネット電話" (internet telephone) which I would have guessed would be a pretty expensive term, but each click was only worth $0.01!

Last edited by Edwin; 20th June 2006 at 09:47 AM..
Old 20th June 2006, 09:46 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck
Well in terms of Click Through, North America has gone from Everything to Nothing.

Japan is not very exiting in terms of traffic compared with Russian and Arabic. Most Russian is shown as European, whilst the majority of the Arabic is coming from Other (Africa). Even Farsi seems to be getting much more traffic and better click throughs than Japan.
I am beginning to wonder more and more about (lack of) Japanese traffic levels. I have a tiny "portfolio" of 4 Japanese names, but they don't get a hit between them on a daily basis. But my Thai names do much much better.

Considering the "Internet population" of Japan is supposedly about 10* that of Thailand, and there are dozens of, albeit low-profile, IDN sites in Japanese, how can this be explained?

I don't think "browser usage" explains it at all. Thais are hooked into IE6 as much as any nation.

Perhaps I have just much better quality Thai names than Japanese ones, and I certainly don't have any Japanese adult names.

I'm not saying the Thai numbers are exceptional. But judging from my names and general comments around this forum, I do believe the Japanese numbers are worrying.
Old 20th June 2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru

Perhaps I have just much better quality Thai names than Japanese ones, and I certainly don't have any Japanese adult names.

I'm not saying the Thai numbers are exceptional. But judging from my names and general comments around this forum, I do believe the Japanese numbers are worrying.
I bet that you do have better quality Thai domains DG. I am sure that natural traffic will take a while to ramp up, it takes greater awareness, more sites to break the japanese off the habit of navigating through search engines and portals. Remember they almost never type into the URL line. My sense is that there are more Thais spread around the world and that those people probably are more comfortable with ascii and typing in. Maybe Thai people in general are less insular and more comfortable with typing in ascii.

It will take time to break the japanese off their habit. Remember they aren't just switching languages, they have to learn completely new web navigational behavior.
Old 20th June 2006, 10:12 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I bet that you do have better quality Thai domains DG. I am sure that natural traffic will take a while to ramp up, it takes greater awareness, more sites to break the japanese off the habit of navigating through search engines and portals. Remember they almost never type into the URL line. My sense is that there are more Thais spread around the world and that those people probably are more comfortable with ascii and typing in. Maybe Thai people in general are less insular and more comfortable with typing in ascii.

It will take time to break the japanese off their habit. Remember they aren't just switching languages, they have to learn completely new web navigational behavior.
My Japanese traffic tends to be focused on single characters, oddly enough, as the Japan Gurus told me these were worthless!
Old 20th June 2006, 10:23 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

My traffic is roughly the same from last month but CTR and average PPC seem to have increased since the ND change.

Has anyone noticed Japanese arriving at sites by typing-in the full IDN in the search bar at yahoo.co.jp?
Old 20th June 2006, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper
My traffic is roughly the same from last month but CTR and average PPC seem to have increased since the ND change.

Has anyone noticed Japanese arriving at sites by typing-in the full IDN in the search bar at yahoo.co.jp?
Can you see that level of detail from namedrive, i see just a little of that for 2 of my domains I park myself at hostgator.
Old 20th June 2006, 10:25 AM
Veteran

Quote:
I am beginning to wonder more and more about (lack of) Japanese traffic levels. I have a tiny "portfolio" of 4 Japanese names, but they don't get a hit between them on a daily basis. But my Thai names do much much better.

Considering the "Internet population" of Japan is supposedly about 10* that of Thailand, and there are dozens of, albeit low-profile, IDN sites in Japanese, how can this be explained?

I don't think "browser usage" explains it at all. Thais are hooked into IE6 as much as any nation.

Might be due to search engine traffic from Yahoo and Google indexing. Search engines automatically convert IDNs into punycode so everyone can view the site.

I've Arabic names with natural type in of less than 5 a day, but jumps to 100 after being indexed. And there are many times more Japanese listing on Google than Thai or Arabic. Could also be due to better ranking algo for Japanese sites by Google as compared to Arabic or Thai.

This sort of traffic can go up and down wildly on a month to month basis based on search engine SERP, while natural type-in is quite consistent, so wildly fluctuating traffic over a period of 3 months is a good sign that the traffic is coming from search engines.

Last edited by touchring; 20th June 2006 at 10:32 AM..
Old 20th June 2006, 10:39 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can you see that level of detail from namedrive, i see just a little of that for 2 of my domains I park myself at hostgator.
I'm also just seeing that in logs at a couple of hosted sites -- not enough traffic to be meaningful to either, but the full-IDN search is encouraging.

It would be really nice to be able to see where traffic originates from for names parked at ND.

Does any parking service do this?
Old 20th June 2006, 11:06 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchring
Might be due to search engine traffic from Yahoo and Google indexing. Search engines automatically convert IDNs into punycode so everyone can view the site.

I've Arabic names with natural type in of less than 5 a day, but jumps to 100 after being indexed. And there are many times more Japanese listing on Google than Thai or Arabic. Could also be due to better ranking algo for Japanese sites by Google as compared to Arabic or Thai.

This sort of traffic can go up and down wildly on a month to month basis based on search engine SERP, while natural type-in is quite consistent, so wildly fluctuating traffic over a period of 3 months is a good sign that the traffic is coming from search engines.
No, the Thai names getting the most traffic certainly aren't indexed. They were only regged a few weeks ago, and aren't in Google at all.

Quote:

a) All the traffic is from Asia. And none of it is search engine traffic.
b) Thais are no more comfortable than Japanese at typing ASCII. I cannot prove that because I don't live with any Japanese people, but I do live with Thais and I don't believe there could be any one nation more at odds with using the English language. I saw my wife's 16-year old niece copying some homework the other day - "World Wide Web" had morphed into "Word Wide Wed". My belief is that Thais have very similar browsing habits to Japanese i.e. search and bookmark.

You are right about the better quality Thai traffic I have, that's for sure. If I was the only talking about the lack of Japanese traffic, I wouldn't have posted. But certainly seems to be a general "theme" here.

Last edited by domainguru; 20th June 2006 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 20th June 2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
b) Thais are no more comfortable than Japanese at typing ASCII. I cannot prove that because I don't live with any Japanese people, but I do live with Thais and I don't believe there could be any one nation more at odds with using the English language.

You are right about the better quality Thai traffic I have, that's for sure. If I was the only talking about the lack of Japanese traffic, I wouldn't have posted. But certainly seems to be a general "theme" here.
LOL.

Well anyway my observation is that when Japanese see the english language namedrive PPC page for any given domain, they freak out. When the Thai see the same page, they seem to look for something relevant and click. Don't know how else to explain my 40% thai clickthrough rate versus the 15% japanese. You could always point to the nature of the domains, but it's fairly varied in both languages.

I just notice a lot more english on Thai language sites than on Japanese sites but maybe that's a false impression because those are the sites, I naturally gravitate towards (since I can read them).
Old 20th June 2006, 11:34 AM
Veteran

If it's not from search engines, then it will be very strange since they got to switch language to enter the .com after typing in Thai. More study is required.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
If it's not from search engines, then it will be very strange since they got to switch language to enter the .com after typing in Thai.
Don't know how it is typing in thai but in japanese it is just an alt+~ manipulation to toggle between japanese and english. Not a big barrier, I do it all the time.
Old 20th June 2006, 11:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
No, the Thai names getting the most traffic certainly aren't indexed. They were only regged a few weeks ago, and aren't in Google at all.
It will take Google only a few days to capture the domains once they are parked with DS - DS uses Google. Recently, i've also seen names that are not indexed by Google (the domain doesn't appear if you search the entire domain with the .com), but it appears in Google SERP if you search just the keyword.

Anyway, traffic is a funny thing. The only sure way is to monitor the traffic for 3-6 mths and if it's very consistent, it is probably natural traffic.

Another possible way is to park immediately after registration, and take only the first 5 days traffic. Works for a never registered before domain.

Last edited by touchring; 20th June 2006 at 11:46 AM..
Old 20th June 2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
LOL.

Well anyway my observation is that when Japanese see the english language namedrive PPC page for any given domain, they freak out. When the Thai see the same page, they seem to look for something relevant and click. Don't know how else to explain my 40% thai clickthrough rate versus the 15% japanese. You could always point to the nature of the domains, but it's fairly varied in both languages.

I just notice a lot more english on Thai language sites than on Japanese sites but maybe that's a false impression because those are the sites, I naturally gravitate towards (since I can read them).
My highest click through rates for Thai names are indeed very high. Like you say, 40% to 50%. Those are for adult names. My guess is Thais are just desperate to find adult content because the Thai government bans everything they can :p

But ... that's not really relevant to the discussion of traffic generation, welcome as it is.

Quote:
It will take Google only a few days to capture the domains once they are parked with DS - DS uses Google. Recently, i've also seen names that are not indexed by Google (the domain doesn't appear if you search the entire domain with the .com), but it appears in Google SERP if you search just the keyword.

Anyway, traffic is a funny thing. The only sure way is to monitor the traffic for 3-6 mths and if it's very consistent, it is probably natural traffic.
I use google.co.th as my standard search tool and type the search terms in frequently, in order to monitor keywords returning Thai language ads etc. The domains just aren't being returned. I have never seen one of my domains returned in search results, and I do look at a lot of search results. I'll go further than that, and say I have yet to ever see a Thai IDN being returned by google.co.th. If someone can find one, I'd be glad to see it!

I'm not a SEO expert of any kind, but I don't quite see how parking names with ND causes google to suddenly "pick them up" - I always believed Google spidered the web in order to find new content? (So would require a link from another site in order to even spider a new domain?)

Quote:
Don't know how it is typing in thai but in japanese it is just an alt+~ manipulation to toggle between japanese and english. Not a big barrier, I do it all the time.
Yeah, Thais switch languages all the type, either via a toolbar click or keyboard. No hurdle at all. If I thought switching between Thai and English was going to be a big hurdle, I seriously doubt I would have invested in Thai domains...

Last edited by domainguru; 20th June 2006 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 20th June 2006, 11:57 AM
Veteran

The script switching problem is a figment of some die hard ASCII domainers warped imagination. It just isn't an issue, and is only a minor hurdle compared with all the other ones that non-English speakers face getting online. Of course we would like IDN.IDN now, but frankly the World would get by without it. What it would mean is that the IDN would be limited to the few extension that people are familiar with.

Actually, I will qualify that. IDN.IDN is absolutely essential for right to left scripts such as Arabic.