IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2011, 10:14 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
State of the Internet: What are the fastest cities in the world

http://gigaom.com/broadband/state-of...-in-the-world/
Old 26th July 2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: State of the Internet: What are the fastest cities in the world

How about 1500 Megabytes?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...60833220110725
Old 26th July 2011, 10:20 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Enjoyed the headline. Thought it referred to "fastest living" cities. Went back to sleep when I realized it was just about fastest internet speed. Maybe next report

Just to be serious for a small time, I'm in an apartment block with shared Internet connection in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and currently getting 9.67 Mbps, so apparently faster than the fastest average city in Europe (Lyse in Norway). Nice

Last edited by domainguru; 26th July 2011 at 10:25 AM..
Old 26th July 2011, 10:27 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Sure, but I think the tests are about averages in cities, not "special areas". Many countries / cities have got special zones where they could show incredible results. Akamai results are very much about "the masses".

btw, that is mega-bits-per-second. Not megabytes. Factor of 8 difference.

Gotta love marketing speak though "The DOCSIS2 technology used throughout Virgin Media’s network provides a future-proofed platform with theoretically near infinite capacity."

What a load of bull-crap.

Last edited by domainguru; 26th July 2011 at 10:29 AM..
Old 27th July 2011, 12:19 AM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Cities on the equator are moving the fastest. However time passes slower for these folks than for those of us living North or South of the equator, so it doesn't seem like that to them. #science
Old 28th July 2011, 01:58 AM
Premium User

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

8.72 download speed in Calgary for me
Old 28th July 2011, 06:20 AM

Asiaplay is an unknown quantity at this point

Umm - not sure what to take from this data (wonder how accurate it really is!).

I know in Hong Kong ~70 to 80% of people were offered 100MB free (works out at ~80MB up and down) i.e. at the same price as slower speed broadband.
So I guess they are clumping in the millions of mobile 3G internet users as well, as most people now have mobile internet on their phones as well (which for most is speeds around 7MB) and this is what is bringing the averages down in Asia (i.e. more 3G internet users per capita, the lower the national average speed!).
Honestly, average fixed broadband line speeds go way above what they have stated in this data, as I understand!

really speeds above this are limited by data centre switches etc., so unless one has a direct fibre connection into the data centre (some do by the way), there is little point in going above this 100MB/s speed.

The trouble for USA and Europe with broadband technology is that it is aging fast (as everything tech based does), while Asia with higher density in cities and a newer system will continue to outrank what are fast becoming dated networks...

Asiaplay
Old 28th July 2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaplay View Post
Umm - not sure what to take from this data (wonder how accurate it really is!).

I know in Hong Kong ~70 to 80% of people were offered 100MB free (works out at ~80MB up and down) i.e. at the same price as slower speed broadband.
So I guess they are clumping in the millions of mobile 3G internet users as well, as most people now have mobile internet on their phones as well (which for most is speeds around 7MB) and this is what is bringing the averages down in Asia (i.e. more 3G internet users per capita, the lower the national average speed!).
Honestly, average fixed broadband line speeds go way above what they have stated in this data, as I understand!

really speeds above this are limited by data centre switches etc., so unless one has a direct fibre connection into the data centre (some do by the way), there is little point in going above this 100MB/s speed.

The trouble for USA and Europe with broadband technology is that it is aging fast (as everything tech based does), while Asia with higher density in cities and a newer system will continue to outrank what are fast becoming dated networks...

Asiaplay
Just to point out again. If the speed is quoted as Mbps, that is mega bits per second. If it is MB/s that is mega bytes per second, i.e 8 times as much data.

Everyone really quotes these days in Mbps, because it sounds 8 times as fast!!

btw, this report is about wired Internet, not wireless, that is pretty clear to me. Its from Akamai, whose business is very much caching often-used data in countries globally, something like that anyway

http://www.akamai.com/stateoftheinternet/

Have a look at that page. It has all kinds of data, broken down by country.

As for accuracy, who knows. What I do know is Akamai is actual data as measured by data moving through their server clusters. Its not "theoretical maximums" as governments and broadband providers love to quote.

So yeah, its a lot lower, but that's hardly a shock. Haven't UK providers been banned from providing "theoretical maximums" now because they mean basically bollocks all?

Last edited by domainguru; 28th July 2011 at 06:40 AM..