IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2011, 02:46 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
IDN.VN > ASCII.VN

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dot...ons-2011-07-27

There are now more IDNs than ASCII domains in the .VN namespace.
Old 29th July 2011, 03:26 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: IDN.VN > ASCII.VN

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post

I'd like some proper details on that, such as relative pricing, why .VN ASCII regges were so low etc. All sounds a bit "fishy" ...... especially considering Dot .VN Inc are in California and are a traded company in the States.
Old 29th July 2011, 04:00 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

OK, first question answered, why there are so few ASCII. VN registrations?

Its because of price. ASCII .VN registrations cost $100 to $200, depending on whether they are 3rd or 2nd level. Looks basically like a way to extract easy money from trademark holders worldwide. Certainly not priced for the local market is it.

2nd question: Why so many IDN .VN regged in a short space of time?

That's more interesting, because try as I did, I couldn't find anywhere on their websites (www.vn, www.dotvn.com), about IDNs, nothing whatsoever, not even in FAQs etc. Even looked through the Vietnamese versions of their sites and nothing showed up, the site looked exactly same as English version.

So do these 200K IDN regges (in 2 months) really exist? I have my doubts. Certainly doubt they have been paid for by anyone. Sounds like just another way to get into the news ..........
Old 29th July 2011, 04:26 AM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks for the update. Glad to see the attention growing slowly but surely
Old 29th July 2011, 04:33 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Guru, search the forums on .VN, you'll find a previous thread. Basically, the website locals are redirected to to register idn.vn is not dotvn.com, but rather an all vietnamese web1.0 looking site.

The reason for the 200K + regs is, I believe, because domains are given away to citizens. 1 per individual and 5 per corps or something like that.

DotVN business model, as far as I can tell, is to provide each registrant with a free websitebuilder /read minisite/. DotVN plans to monetize these minisites for themselves. That's what I gathered from the various press releases...It sucks but it's a start none the less
Old 29th July 2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Guru, search the forums on .VN, you'll find a previous thread. Basically, the website locals are redirected to to register idn.vn is not dotvn.com, but rather an all vietnamese web1.0 looking site.

The reason for the 200K + regs is, I believe, because domains are given away to citizens. 1 per individual and 5 per corps or something like that.

DotVN business model, as far as I can tell, is to provide each registrant with a free websitebuilder /read minisite/. DotVN plans to monetize these minisites for themselves. That's what I gathered from the various press releases...It sucks but it's a start none the less
Cool. But in that case, their press releases are seriously misleading. They champion the amazing performance of IDN.VN (free) vs the poor performance of ASCII.VN ($100 to $200 per name). But of course they never mention the infinite price differential, and we are meant to somehow "trend out" from the press release that their company has a golden future based on the first two months of IDN.VN "sales", which are of course giveaways ...

Don't forget, these press releases are designed to affect stock prices, let's hope people don't invest in dot VN based on this misleading release. Well actually they have stuck out at least 3 similar releases since launch date....

Its really not hard to give domains away for nothing, that isn't a business model.

Last edited by domainguru; 29th July 2011 at 05:54 AM..