IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2011, 08:31 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
A URL in any language:

A URL IN ANY LANGUAGE: GETTING TO KNOW THE NEXT GENERATION OF URLS
Old 24th August 2011, 08:43 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Re: A URL in any language:

That's easily one of the best "intro to IDN" articles I have seen, and pretty up-to-date as well.

And we are all relying on this being true ...

"While IDNs are in many ways a natural evolution of the Internet, most Internet users are completely unaware that they are even a possibility"

Well put!

He needs to delete this line though

"When an IDN is initially registered, it is this punycode address that is stored within the name server."

Just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by domainguru; 24th August 2011 at 08:55 AM..
Old 24th August 2011, 09:27 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

I thought it was pretty good, if perhaps a bit generalized.

I disagree with this line: "Although IDNs are a long way from becoming commonplace" In what context? The Internet itself is only 20 years old. Adoption will happen at different rates in different countries. We are already seeing large increases in type-in traffic from Chinese,Japanese, Arabic and Cyrillic scripts. I don't think it will take long for IDN's to be commonplace in these countries.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:33 AM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
I thought it was pretty good, if perhaps a bit generalized.

I disagree with this line: "Although IDNs are a long way from becoming commonplace" In what context? The Internet itself is only 20 years old. Adoption will happen at different rates in different countries. We are already seeing large increases in type-in traffic from Chinese,Japanese, Arabic and Cyrillic scripts. I don't think it will take long for IDN's to be commonplace in these countries.
In the context of this:

"While IDNs are in many ways a natural evolution of the Internet, most Internet users are completely unaware that they are even a possibility"

I totally agree. Even though Thai IDNs are 10-years old, I have still yet to see a bill-board in Bangkok with one on. Plenty of websites around for sure, but until the big boys turn-up (once .IDN(com) happens), IDNs are pretty much unknown in the general public.

Which bodes extremely well for traffic 2012 and beyond ..........

Note he said "most Internet users". I think thats certainly true.

Last edited by domainguru; 24th August 2011 at 09:34 AM..
Old 24th August 2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
He needs to delete this line though

"When an IDN is initially registered, it is this punycode address that is stored within the name server."

Just doesn't make any sense.
Actually, that seems pretty correct to me. The DNS is not designed to recognised Unicode so the A Name will be Punycode.
Old 24th August 2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Actually, that seems pretty correct to me. The DNS is not designed to recognised Unicode so the A Name will be Punycode.
Yeah, I guess its ok, just sort of clumsy writing. Its not just "initially", its "all the time". But yeah, good article. We need more of them.

And yeah, even I did realize there isn't any Unicode in A-labels
Old 24th August 2011, 01:57 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Great post.
Old 24th August 2011, 02:05 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

The author has a nice blog too : globalbydesign.com
Old 25th August 2011, 11:25 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Nice article. Finally someone took the time to investigate before writing. Unlike the rest of the world he even noticed that it's not possible to register рayрal.com.

Quote:
This is usually intentional. With Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Firefox, the IDN is generally displayed in punycode format unless the language preference of the browser matches the language of the IDN.
Is this true for Chrome and IE? As for Firefox it clearly isn't although it sounds like a pretty good idea.

Last edited by bumblebee man; 25th August 2011 at 11:44 AM..
Old 25th August 2011, 02:14 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
Is this true for Chrome and IE? As for Firefox it clearly isn't although it sounds like a pretty good idea.
True for Chrome anyway. This article: http://www.chromium.org/developers/d...-google-chrome has the details. It also has a link to the Unicode Consortium CLDR database, which Chrome uses to determine which characters are valid in which languages.

Avtal
Old 25th August 2011, 02:28 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

latest version of IE works with language preferences too.

FF has the stupid whitelist.
Old 27th August 2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
latest version of IE works with language preferences too.

FF has the stupid whitelist.
So true. When will it change? Its still f**** up 20% of IDN queries worlwide. Its not small beans.