IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2011, 12:50 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about
Google Launches Office in Thailand

(I know, we had news on this before but that was "sometime in the next 12 months" - according to the Nation newspaper it has now happened .... complete story below, bolding is mine)

----------
Global ad leader wants to raise local spending on new media

Giant search-engine service provider and creator of the Android smart-phone platform, Google, has opened a local office in Thailand.

The move reflects a commitment by Google to focus on the Thai market.

The American multinational, which is based at Mountain View in California, hosts a variety of Internet-based services and products and generates revenue mainly from advertising.

Along with the opening of its first office here, Google has announced the appointment of Ariya Banomyong, 38, as its first country head for Thailand. Having taken his new post on July 1 this year, Ariya will oversee Google's sales and business-development operations in this country.

Google's aims in Thailand are to encourage local businesses to go online successfully and to raise online-advertising spending in the Thai market from the current level of only 0.3 per cent of total advertising spending to a level closer to that in countries like the United States and the United Kingdom, which have a well- developed Internet infrastructure and where online-advertising spending is 30 to 50 per cent of total ad spending.

Ariya comes from 10 years' experience in the telecom business with True Corporation, where his last position was chief commercial officer of True Corporation's Convergence. His experience will serve Google's mission of dealing with Thailand's Internet market, which is seeing a convergence of fixed-line and mobile Internet usage.

"It is the same passion for me in working with Google," he said. "I desire to be the pioneer to help the company settle down in the Thai market - the same as I did with Orange when it brought its business to Thailand with True Corporation more than 10 years ago."

He said the beauty of his new position with Google Thailand was that it allowed him to join one of the largest technology companies in the world, while still being a pioneering leader in his home country as a new market for Google.

Thailand has around 25 million Internet users, which means more than 30 per cent of the total population are online. About 40 per cent of these users access the Internet via mobile devices. Importantly, these people are using search services every day. Of all the counties in Southeast Asia, Thailand has the highest number of searches - 55 million per day.

Ariya said the number of mobile-Internet users in Thailand was expanding rapidly, having grown three-fold in 2009 and 2010 to represent about 40 per cent of all Internet users. Every day, three out of every five Thai smart-phone users employs a search service. This figure is higher than that in many developed countries, including the US, the UK, Germany and Australia. And the most important key word of these mobile searches is "restaurant".

"Through their search behaviour, these people are obviously telling us what products and services they are looking for. Our mission is to help businesses to utilise and benefit from this searching," he said.

This gives the Thai market big potential for Google, with huge opportunities for the search-engine leader to capture. Currently, the country's total annual spending on advertising amounts to around Bt100 billion. Less than 1 per cent of this goes to online advertising, leaving more than 99 per cent of the total as Ariya's potential market - and he is, after all, representing the biggest player in the global online-advertising field.

"We don't see other players in online advertising as direct competitors because the market is very big. We all have opportunities to capture the business of those not-yet-online, and I will do my best for Google," he said.

Ariya said his priority was setting up a local team of 10 to 20 people by next year to oversee marketing, sales and operations.
Then, the company will offer more products and services to local businesses. Google sees its main role as that of an assistant, helping Thai businesses - both large and small- and medium-sized enterprises - to go online and benefit from Google's products and services.

"A priority job is to educate the Thai market, including agencies, business partners and corporate customers, on how to go online successfully and what they will then find by way of products and services from Google that can bring them continued success online. For large corporations we will use a one-on-one approach, while for 300,000 SMEs in Thailand, we will assist them through marketing activities like the recently launched 'Go Online' campaign."

Ariya said he had spent about three months, involving several interviews, in the course of his appointment as Google's country manger for Thailand. After starting the job on July 1, he spent time in training at Google's operations Australia and Singapore, learning more about Google's products and services and its corporate culture. In the course of his introduction to his new company, he met Google's executive chairman and former chief executive Eric Schmidt.
----------------

Seems well overdue to me, but hey, who's complaining..... I read in a separate article recently that online advertising spending was currently growing 20% yearly in Thailand. If Google Thailand does even a little, that 20% figure will go way up. Current online ad spend levels (0.3% to "less than one percent" depending which part of the article you believe) is just such BS for a country with 25M people online and good Internet infrastructure , and Google must have realized this.

Time to kick back and watch the Thai CPC rate rocket on up.

Good times they are a coming.

Last edited by domainguru; 24th August 2011 at 01:41 PM..
Old 24th August 2011, 01:48 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Google Launches Office in Thailand

that's great news for you, TD and the others who always believed in the Thai market.
Old 24th August 2011, 03:18 PM

domainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura aboutdomainguru has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
that's great news for you, TD and the others who always believed in the Thai market.
yeah, and the thing is, the competition for google in the "ad market" arena is close to non-existent here. its been a barren wasteland, and companies wanting to advertise online have paid almost nothing for the last 10 years, such has been the lack of any efficient advertising market.

Even banks were getting few cent clicks to advertise credit cards when we first researched it five or so years back. complete waste of time as a web site publisher unless you wanted to live on next to nothing or do it as a hobby!

thank god its going to change, and the quicker the better.
Old 24th August 2011, 03:54 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainguru View Post
(I know, we had news on this before but that was "sometime in the next 12 months"
Google had previously reported as per my posting here: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2974...-thailand.html

Yes, we can confirm Google will be opening an office in Thailand within this year, however, we have nothing further to announce at this time."

So we already knew that they were going to open an office in Thailand within this year and not in the next 12 months. Nonetheless, this is an excellent further development that it has finally happened with additional details, thanks for that.

Definitely great news for all that kept going with Thai IDNs. With Google being serious on Thailand with a population of about 70 million people, I am hopeful that we will all be handsomely rewarded. Considering that only about 30% of Thais are currently online, Google can expect more growth as well. Afterall, Thailand is the second largest economy in South East Asia and the largest with its own written language. With Thais being proud to use our own written language, Thai IDNs should do very well and hopefully Verisign takes note of this development and be more explicit about their intention to apply for .com in Thai in the first round as well.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 24th August 2011 at 04:20 PM..
Old 24th August 2011, 04:47 PM

spend half your post correcting "within this year" from "in the next 12 months" - it only took a month, who gives a crap about "within this year" vs "in the next 12 months". As the song goes "only you ...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
Google had previously reported as per my posting here: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/2974...-thailand.html

Yes, we can confirm Google will be opening an office in Thailand within this year, however, we have nothing further to announce at this time."

So we already knew that they were going to open an office in Thailand within this year and not in the next 12 months. Nonetheless, this is an excellent further development that it has finally happened with additional details, thanks for that.

Definitely great news for all that kept going with Thai IDNs. With Google being serious on Thailand with a population of about 70 million people, I am hopeful that we will all be handsomely rewarded. Considering that only about 30% of Thais are currently online, Google can expect more growth as well. Afterall, Thailand is the second largest economy in South East Asia and the largest with its own written language. With Thais being proud to use our own written language, Thai IDNs should do very well and hopefully Verisign takes note of this development and be more explicit about their intention to apply for .com in Thai in the first round as well.
Old 24th August 2011, 05:50 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
spend half your post correcting "within this year" from "in the next 12 months" - it only took a month, who gives a crap about "within this year" vs "in the next 12 months". As the song goes "only you ...."
Typical that you are only interested in quickly pointing out everyone's mistake here and always wanting to always have the last word but doesn't take being corrected too well. I am glad it happened in one month no doubt.

Over and out.
Old 25th August 2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Typical that you are only interested in quickly pointing out everyone's mistake here and always wanting to always have the last word but doesn't take being corrected too well. I am glad it happened in one month no doubt.

Over and out.
Well stop making mistakes and I won't point them out. AR.

If you want to be on top of Thai news, you might actually want to be in Thailand.

Last edited by domainguru; 25th August 2011 at 08:58 PM..
Old 25th August 2011, 10:30 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
sometime in the next 12 months
Quote:
I can't be arsed any more. Think I'll come back in 6 months .....
:D

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 25th August 2011 at 10:32 PM..
Old 26th August 2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Well stop making mistakes and I won't point them out. AR.

If you want to be on top of Thai news, you might actually want to be in Thailand.
Wasn't going to respond to this further but since you want to keep this going so be it. Look in the mirror please. You made plenty of mistakes making many incorrect statements on the forum and often when pointed out you either dismiss them disrespectfully or have nothing constuctive to say including the one in this thread.

With me not being in Thailand at the moment has nothing to do with not being able to be on top of Thai news. They are all online anyway and I constantly update myself reading news both in English and Thai. Afterall I was the one who posted the original news about Google launching their office in Thailand.. With you being in Thailand over 10 years now, you also might want to consider spending your time brushing up your Thai language skills especially the comprehension part if you truly want to be updated on Thai news since not all articles can be read on the English language Bangkok Post or The Nation.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 26th August 2011 at 12:39 AM..
Old 27th August 2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Wasn't going to respond to this further but since you want to keep this going so be it. Look in the mirror please. You made plenty of mistakes making many incorrect statements on the forum and often when pointed out you either dismiss them disrespectfully or have nothing constuctive to say including the one in this thread.

With me not being in Thailand at the moment has nothing to do with not being able to be on top of Thai news. They are all online anyway and I constantly update myself reading news both in English and Thai. Afterall I was the one who posted the original news about Google launching their office in Thailand.. With you being in Thailand over 10 years now, you also might want to consider spending your time brushing up your Thai language skills especially the comprehension part if you truly want to be updated on Thai news since not all articles can be read on the English language Bangkok Post or The Nation.
Very droll, especially coming from someone born and raised in Thailand who openly admitted a few years ago he couldn't type Thai on a Thai keyboard.

I'm English, what's your excuse?
Old 28th August 2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Very droll, especially coming from someone born and raised in Thailand who openly admitted a few years ago he couldn't type Thai on a Thai keyboard.

I'm English, what's your excuse?
What is very droll infact is that you keep putting words into my mouth or twisting them to suit your own imagination/agenda. I never told you that I couldn't type Thai on Thai keyboard. Back in 2005/2006, what I told you was my Thai typing speed was slow. Also that was then (2005/2006) and this is now (2011) and my speed is now pretty decent, I would consider it at an average speed.

Also, I have been posting on Thai forums some of which you were also aware. You also have selectively/conveniently forgotten that when we met for the first time, you were told that I had professionally translated/interpreted for branches of major fortune 500 companies in Thailand. You choosing to forget all about that is quite convenient considering I was the one who helped you with interpreting Thai when you had personal/legal issues. It was in fact very surprising that you couldn't even properly understand basic Thai even to just communicate effectively with your house keeper let alone your lawyers. Most expats in Thailand who are serious in learning Thai that have been living in Thailand over 10 years would at least have functional command of the Thai language.

Never really interested to go into so much details on this, but if you want to keep assaulting and drag this on, you left me with no other option but to defend myself and respond appropriately.
Old 29th August 2011, 12:54 PM

xpicturex is an unknown quantity at this point

Great news for those focused on the thai market
Hopefully more competition in advertising will create a higher CPC and more revenue for site owners here :D
Both of you guys should be happy about this...
Old 29th August 2011, 02:26 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpicturex View Post
Great news for those focused on the thai market
Hopefully more competition in advertising will create a higher CPC and more revenue for site owners here :D
Both of you guys should be happy about this...
I couldnt agree more
Old 29th August 2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
What is very droll infact is that you keep putting words into my mouth or twisting them to suit your own imagination/agenda. I never told you that I couldn't type Thai on Thai keyboard. Back in 2005/2006, what I told you was my Thai typing speed was slow. Also that was then (2005/2006) and this is now (2011) and my speed is now pretty decent, I would consider it at an average speed.

Also, I have been posting on Thai forums some of which you were also aware. You also have selectively/conveniently forgotten that when we met for the first time, you were told that I had professionally translated/interpreted for branches of major fortune 500 companies in Thailand. You choosing to forget all about that is quite convenient considering I was the one who helped you with interpreting Thai when you had personal/legal issues. It was in fact very surprising that you couldn't even properly understand basic Thai even to just communicate effectively with your house keeper let alone your lawyers. Most expats in Thailand who are serious in learning Thai that have been living in Thailand over 10 years would at least have functional command of the Thai language.

Never really interested to go into so much details on this, but if you want to keep assaulting and drag this on, you left me with no other option but to defend myself and respond appropriately.
So you were 25 years old, born and raised in Thailand, and your typing speed was "slow" on a Thai keyboard. That's pretty sad dude, doesn't sound like someone "proud of the Thai language" as you love to talk about ....

My Thai progresses as it does, slowly over time. its much better than when we met. I don't have a housekeeper, haven't had for 5 years now, half my time in Thailand, sorry to disappoint you, I wish I had the luxury.
Old 29th August 2011, 06:56 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

guys, time to grab a drink and chill..
Old 30th August 2011, 02:22 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Yeah, or take it to PM or email or the ring.

Last edited by gammascalper; 30th August 2011 at 02:22 AM..
Old 30th August 2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
So you were 25 years old, born and raised in Thailand, and your typing speed was "slow" on a Thai keyboard. That's pretty sad dude, doesn't sound like someone "proud of the Thai language" as you love to talk about ....

My Thai progresses as it does, slowly over time. its much better than when we met. I don't have a housekeeper, haven't had for 5 years now, half my time in Thailand, sorry to disappoint you, I wish I had the luxury.
Wrong again, I was about 34 when we first met and not 25. The reason my keyboarding in Thai was relatively "slow" was because I just came back to Thailand from Canada at that time where I didn't have much chance to type in Thai. After returning to Thailand and getting more actively involved with Thai IDNs, my Thai typing skill got up to speed and eventhough I am currently not in Thailand at the moment, I constantly type in Thai to post on different Thai forums mainly about Thai IDNs and read about Thai news in Thai constantly online.

As for your Thai if it has progressed as you claimed all the power to you but I am sceptical as even the fact that you inferred about me translating/interpreting Thai into English and vice versa between you and who you introduced to me as your housekeeper as well as with your lawyers happened around 2008 or about 3 years ago and not 5 as you claimed. Even just a little over 2 years ago your Thai wasn't still functional.

Bottomline my point is: rather than pointing your finger at me that I need to be in Thailand to be updated about Thai news or being critical of my previous Thai typing speed, I suggest you truly take the time to learn and comprehend Thai properly if you truly want to be updated about news in Thailand.

Anyway, I hope we can put this thread to rest now as a few members have already expressed that they are not interested in what we have to say on this topic much longer. If you choose to end this, I will do the same. Otherwise, we also have the option of typing in Thai in the Thai Domain section of this forum if you are really comfortable typing in Thai and hopefully most on here wouldn't be bothered or we can just put this to rest now. Your call.

PS: Also agree with comments that we should be rejoicing about all the good things/news happening about Thai IDNs and the prospect of higher CPC. Hence another good reason to put this thread to end.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 30th August 2011 at 07:18 AM..
Old 30th August 2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Wrong again, I was about 34 when we first met and not 25. The reason my keyboarding in Thai was relatively "slow" was because I just came back to Thailand from Canada at that time where I didn't have much chance to type in Thai. After returning to Thailand and getting more actively involved with Thai IDNs, my Thai typing skill got up to speed and eventhough I am currently not in Thailand at the moment, I constantly type in Thai to post on different Thai forums mainly about Thai IDNs and read about Thai news in Thai constantly online.

As for your Thai if it has progressed as you claimed all the power to you but I am sceptical as even the fact that you inferred about me translating/interpreting Thai into English and vice versa between you and who you introduced to me as your housekeeper as well as with your lawyers happened around 2008 or about 3 years ago and not 5 as you claimed. Even just a little over 2 years ago your Thai wasn't still functional.

Bottomline my point is: rather than pointing your finger at me that I need to be in Thailand to be updated about Thai news or being critical of my previous Thai typing speed, I suggest you truly take the time to learn and comprehend Thai properly if you truly want to be updated about news in Thailand.

Anyway, I hope we can put this thread to rest now as a few members have already expressed that they are not interested in what we have to say on this topic much longer. If you choose to end this, I will do the same. Otherwise, we also have the option of typing in Thai in the Thai Domain section of this forum if you are really comfortable typing in Thai and hopefully most on here wouldn't be bothered or we can just put this to rest now. Your call.

PS: Also agree with comments that we should be rejoicing about all the good things/news happening about Thai IDNs and the prospect of higher CPC. Hence another good reason to put this thread to end.
That's even worse. 34 and you still couldn't type Thai properly. What were you doing for 34 years you "proud Thai"? My 7-year old could type Thai fluently, even on a keyboard without Thai characters ...

I didn't have a housekeeper. She was my ex-wife's friend, I never wanted her in the house. She was always loyal with her. Why bring that up at all?

I also never had any Thai lawyers. you think I would pay 80K baht to those bloodsuckers???

I am happy with my level of Thai speaking. My current bodis earnings reflect how much Thai I know combined with domain knowledge.

Your only skill was having some cash to buy into our portfolio, big wow.

btw, your "3 years ago" for meeting the housekeeper is again just not right. We moved out of your street, Sukhumvit, 24, 4 years ago, after staying there 2 years and we only ever met the housekeeper whilst we were on Sukhumvit 24. Get a grip on dates at least, if nothing else.

Last edited by domainguru; 30th August 2011 at 04:26 PM..
Old 30th August 2011, 04:28 PM

mdw is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with all of you that Google setting up shop in BKK is nothing but good news! Let's celebrate.

Surely this will finally increase the size of the online advertising pool so we can stop getting so many clicks below 10 cents. Almost all of my clicks are still below 10 cents, and it's depressing because while there are things you can do to increase traffic, there's not much you can do about lack of advertisers. Even if traffic continues to increase, without better rates per click we'll just be counting a bigger pile of pennies.

I'm not expecting Thai clicks to pay like Japanese clicks, but I think we can hope for 25 cents per click on average across a portfolio. Is that too much to hope for?
Old 31st August 2011, 01:02 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 31st August 2011 at 01:06 AM..