IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > General Domains > Domain Market

Domain Market For users to buy domain names, sell domain names, auction domain names, or for domain brokers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th September 2011, 11:44 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Re: Skola.me - Traffic & Revenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
BTW: German city domains don't fetch quite as much because they are at risk of beeing taken away by the local authorities.
Anyone with links to further reading of this specific issue please post/pm
Old 12th September 2011, 11:56 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation

Seraphim, any official documents from a European organization about idn deactivation or anything like that?

I remember this:

Prague, 19 November – For the fourth time in a row, the Czech Internet public refused the introduction of diacritics in the .CZ domain system. This ensues from a public opinion survey carried out by Markent for the CZ.NIC association, the administrator of the Czech domain registry. Eight-seven percent of organisations that responded and 62 percent of ordinary Internet users surveyed objected to the introduction of the IDN system (Internationalized Domain Names). The number of organizations opposed to the use of diacritics was up 6 percent compared to the previous survey taken in 2008, while for ordinary Internet users it was down 4 percent. The survey results are an important factor for the CZ.NIC association in terms of accepting or refusing IDN in domains with the .CZ suffix.

http://www.idnnews.com/?p=9898

http://háčkyčárky.cz

++Bialystok 12,000,000
++Białystok 60,000,000
++Torun 13,800,000
++Toruń 46,100,000

Last edited by 555; 12th September 2011 at 12:00 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 12:01 PM

Seraphim is a tad dodgySeraphim is a tad dodgySeraphim is a tad dodgySeraphim is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
Seraphim, any official documents from a European organization about idn deactivation or anything like that?

I remember this:

Prague, 19 November – For the fourth time in a row, the Czech Internet public refused the introduction of diacritics in the .CZ domain system. This ensues from a public opinion survey carried out by Markent for the CZ.NIC association, the administrator of the Czech domain registry. Eight-seven percent of organisations that responded and 62 percent of ordinary Internet users surveyed objected to the introduction of the IDN system (Internationalized Domain Names). The number of organizations opposed to the use of diacritics was up 6 percent compared to the previous survey taken in 2008, while for ordinary Internet users it was down 4 percent. The survey results are an important factor for the CZ.NIC association in terms of accepting or refusing IDN in domains with the .CZ suffix.

http://www.idnnews.com/?p=9898

http://háčkyčárky.cz

++Bialystok 12,000,000
++Białystok 60,000,000
++Torun 13,800,000
++Toruń 46,100,000
I'll see what I can dig out, and how to go about having it translated in English.

Bialystok.pl - Government
Białystok.pl - Permanently Deactivated
Torun.pl - Government
Toruń.pl - Permanently Deactivated

Out of hundreds of Polish cities I'm not aware of even 1 developed IDN in the .com or .pl (not including the rare Kraków.pl redirect). But nonetheless I bought 92% of the Polish city.com IDN market for redirects and type-ins (much lower equity than my city ASCII converts with end-user offers backing that). The pairing system works perfectly in Poland and the tactic is catching on, especially in the last 2 - 3 years.

Google picked up on that years ago and automerged ASCII convert and the IDN keyword searches for many of their results. They certainly have their thinking caps on over at the Plex (not always, but very often).

Last edited by Seraphim; 12th September 2011 at 12:22 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 01:20 PM

Seraphim is a tad dodgySeraphim is a tad dodgySeraphim is a tad dodgySeraphim is a tad dodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
BTW: German city domains don't fetch quite as much because they are at risk of beeing taken away by the local authorities.
True. Wasn't there a recent case won in favor of the domainer over the city government in Germany? If that is true then hopefully it will set the precedent for future cases.

Poland seems to have less rigid name laws and as a culture seems to sort of view frivolous lawsuits as being no different than legal theft, which in many cases that is exactly what it is. But I will say with any valuable name geo or other you always have to be aware of who else is using it, and make sure that you're not doing anything outside of the bounds of fair use or the registrant agreement.
Old 12th September 2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
Your "cityname" claim that all traffic is from the city itself is totally false, what city domains do you own that show this? I own the largest city geo domain portfolio in Poland, 17% of the entire market to be exact. Take my domains Bialystok.com, Olsztyn.com, Torun.com, Gdynia.com, or Sosnowiec.com for example. They receive about 30% of their traffic from the actual city, 55% from greater Poland, and the rest from outside of Poland. The government run city.pls have the same traffic range, I know because I've worked alongside one of the Polish city webmasters.
I am sorry, but in terms of what has been invested and changed hands in Russia, China and Japan, and invested in the Middle East and Indian Subcontinents in this very forum, those you have listed are Villages.
Old 12th September 2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
I am sorry, but in terms of what has been invested and changed hands in Russia, China and Japan, and invested in the Middle East and Indian Subcontinents in this very forum, those you have listed are Villages.
I keep hearing you say that, but in 4 years of your ramblings have you ever dropped a single card on the table. I know everyone at DNForum thinks you're batshit insane, but maybe we're all wrong about you (probably not).

I generally stay out of keyword niches for third world countries (including geos). I don't have 200 years to wait for the payout.

Last edited by Seraphim; 12th September 2011 at 01:41 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 01:46 PM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I keep hearing you say that, but in 4 years of your ramblings have you ever dropped a single card on the table. I know everyone at DNForum thinks you're batshit insane, but maybe we're all wrong about you (probably not).

I generally stay out of keyword niches for third world countries (including geos). I don't have 200 years to wait for the payout.
Look when it comes to advanced economGDP rankings Poland is actually about 20. A long way behind my primary markets. Not just Villages but Poor Villages.

Domainers, do you really thing I care that most of them think I am insane?

It possibly mattered when I had delusions of selling them stuff. Not anymore.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 12th September 2011 at 01:49 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Look when it comes to advanced economGDP rankings Poland is actually about 20. A long way behind my primary markets. Not just Villages but Poor Villages.

Domainers, do you really thing I care that most of them think I am insane?

It possibly mattered when I had delusions of selling them stuff. Not anymore.
Why are you always so "Napoleon" when I disagree with you in a domain forum? Shall we compare end user offers? Volume of end user offers? Or is your PayDay still another 50 years away? Retriring in Eastern Europe is an old British guy on a budget. You don't fool me man! Hahahaha...

Last edited by Seraphim; 12th September 2011 at 02:04 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 02:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Why are you always so "Napoleon" when I disagree with you in a domain forum? Shall we compare end user offers? Volume of end user offers? Or is your PayDay still another 50 years away? Retriring in Eastern Europe is a British guy on a budget. You don't fool me man! Hahahaha...
No, Czech Republic is about going where my young attractive wife has friends and family. And also where I love to spend my time. The fact that I could buy a mansion for the price of garage was no never mind to me.

Yes, my financial independence is not yet borne of my domain portfolio. Some of us are also fortunate in our choice of parents.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 12th September 2011 at 02:20 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 02:08 PM

Jesus Christ, this forum sucks. Even the domain sucks, shouldn't it be IDNForum.com? <<< Not a great first step into information about domaining. This all took place in my sale thread. Cheers lads. Hahaha...

Last edited by Seraphim; 12th September 2011 at 02:38 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, my financial independence is not yet borne of my domain portfolio. Some of us are also fortunate in our choice of parents.
Best to learn SEO before domaining, as then you can speed up the revenue growth any time you have the energy. I did and my financial independence was won in 2002 at the age of 25. I've gone out of my way to dissuade people with no knowledge in SEO from investing in domain names. Strong SEO skills + domaining means you can pretty much never lose.

Last edited by Seraphim; 12th September 2011 at 02:44 PM..
Old 12th September 2011, 03:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Best to learn SEO before domaining, as then you can speed up the revenue growth any time you have the energy. I did and my financial independence was won in 2002 at the age of 25. I've gone out of my way to dissuade people with no knowledge in SEO from investing in domain names. Strong SEO skills + domaining means you can pretty much never lose.
SEO is fine for what Rick Schwartz calls pigeon shit.

He and Schilling will both tell you that the real money is in Parking, but you have to have Class.
Old 12th September 2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
SEO is fine for what Rick Schwartz calls pigeon shit.

He and Schilling will both tell you that the real money is in Parking, but you have to have Class.
I doubt you know what a meta tag is, so please spare me your sermons on subjects and industries you know absolutely nothing about. That is how this detour in my sale thread got started, and that is the main culprit behind why a lot of people believe you're truly a lunatic. You don't like to learn but you certainly like to act like you're an authority on every subject. Yet every so often someone like me comes along and proves you're mostly if not entirely full of shit.
Old 12th September 2011, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I doubt you know what a meta tag is, so please spare me your sermons on subjects and industries you know absolutely nothing about. That is how this detour in my sale thread got started, and that is the main culprit behind why a lot of people believe you're truly a lunatic. You don't like to learn but you certainly like to act like you're an authority on every subject. Yet every so often someone like me comes along and proves you're mostly if not entirely full of shit.
SEO experts are ten a penny. Most of them are useless so I used to do my own when I was running my own consultancy.

Actually, some of the guys on here are real experts and I could probably pick up most of the information I would need for free.

But as you say. Don't Develop. Don't want to Develop. I have said for a while that it is waste of time unless you are running a site as a business. Most have come around to my way of thinking. Did they try it? Damned sure they tried it. Some threw everything at it. A few have even made it work for them.

The problem with SEO is that most think they can take Google's Bread out of its own mouth. Google may be dumb, but they are not that dumb that they don't eventually catch on and plug their leaking revenues.
Old 12th September 2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
SEO experts are ten a penny. Most of them are useless so I used to do my own when I was running my own consultancy.

Actually, some of the guys on here are real experts and I could probably pick up most of the information I would need for free.

But as you say. Don't Develop. Don't want to Develop. I have said for a while that it is waste of time unless you are running a site as a business. Most have come around to my way of thinking. Did they try it? Damned sure they tried it. Some threw everything at it. A few have even made it work for them.

The problem with SEO is that most think they can take Google's Bread out of its own mouth. Google may be dumb, but they are not that dumb that they don't eventually catch on and plug their leaking revenues.
Well you just said you haven't gained financial independence on the back of your domains yet? I've seen SEO change that for a lot of people.
Old 12th September 2011, 04:05 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Well you just said you haven't gained financial independence on the back of your domains yet? I've seen SEO change that for a lot of people.
It depends whether you are looking for the crumbs from existing markets or preparing to break down the doors of the emerging markets of Asia.

Ambition means foregoing quite a lot at times.

Like they say in the investment World. Past results are no guarantee of future performance. We live in a rapidly changing World.

You might think of ASCII as Windows whilst IDN could be Android.
Old 12th September 2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
It depends whether you are looking for the crumbs from existing markets or preparing to break down the doors of the emerging markets of Asia.

Ambition means foregoing quite a lot at times.

Like they say in the investment World. Past results are no guarantee of future performance. We live in a rapidly changing World.

You might think of ASCII as Windows whilst IDN could be Android.
You said you don't speak any of the languages or know any of the linguistic traditions or rules, I hope you're actually breaking into an emerging Asian market and not the land of Oz.
Old 12th September 2011, 04:18 PM
Veteran

Quote:
You said you don't speak any of the languages or know any of the linguistic traditions or rules, I hope you're actually breaking into an emerging Asian market and not the land of Oz.
Which is why I largely stuck to single word prime terms and single characters.

Yes, and often we bought before we were able to check their veracity.

In a good number of cases we got it completely wrong.

But when you are getting into dot coms at reg fee, we calculated that we could afford a few mistakes.
Old 12th September 2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

SEO used to be good, but pretty dead right now, especially after panda.

Unless you spend your days writing articles.

The problem is that now-a-days the ROI on time/money invested on SEO pales when compared with any other IM activity.
Old 12th September 2011, 06:45 PM
The Bearer of Bad News

Grim Reaper has disabled reputation

Quote:
Jesus Christ, this forum sucks. Even the domain sucks, shouldn't it be IDNForum.com? <<< Not a great first step into information about domaining. This all took place in my sale thread. Cheers lads. Hahaha...
Just let me know when you are ready to leave and I'll close your account, and change your profile picture to a huge penis. free of charge.