IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th September 2011, 04:12 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
13 Months to .ком .קום and other IDN.IDN Existing gTLDs?

http://newdomains.org/timeline

ICANN makes the applications public on April 27,2012.
Old 26th September 2011, 06:04 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough
Re: 13 Months to .ком .קום and other IDN.IDN Existing gTLDs?

What I don't get is the fact that some good domains (I am specifically excluding mine) on this forum are not snapped up?

Any IDN newcomers care to respond?
Old 26th September 2011, 06:14 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: 13 Months to .ком .קום and other IDN.IDN Existing gTLDs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
What I don't get is the fact that some good domains (I am specifically excluding mine) on this forum are not snapped up?

My guess is that members on this forum are already over their head with investing in names and caughing up renewal fees. Correct me if im wrong.
Old 26th September 2011, 06:37 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

I would disagree with you on this point ..
Personally I am making enough to cover renewals and then some.
I'm reasonably sure those who got in early would say the same (Though I got in quite late)

It still begs the question as to why good domains are not snapped up ....

Waiting for Godot?

Last edited by mulligan; 26th September 2011 at 06:39 PM..
Old 26th September 2011, 06:40 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

There is so much you can pick up when they don't pay for themselves, that's my simple theory.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:01 PM

alibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished roadalibuba is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to alibuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
There is so much you can pick up when they don't pay for themselves, that's my simple theory.
And that's the truth. Lots of great names do not generate much but they are still very worthy to own and will be of great value in the future. I'm sure lots of us own absolute gems that do not generate much but we know their value and we hold on to them. So when we have all these names that do not generate our rationale thinking is not to buy more of something that does not monetize currently.

Nice to see so much activity in the subject of aliasing.
Old 26th September 2011, 07:50 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Quote:
because someone is a moron, and will regret that decision for a long time.

I could be talking about us that did, or them that didn't. Time will tell.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:06 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I would disagree with you on this point ..
Personally I am making enough to cover renewals and then some.
I'm reasonably sure those who got in early would say the same (Though I got in quite late)

It still begs the question as to why good domains are not snapped up ....

Waiting for Godot?
At the last survey/ poll by members (maybe 6 months ago or so) I think it showed that most were still a good ways away from earning their renewals from parking alone.

Parking has certainly improved in the last 90 days; for me only my Russian IDNs are paying for themselves with parking revenue.

I think within 18 months from now Arabic and Japanese will as well.
Old 26th September 2011, 10:34 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Everyone's spoiled with quality.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:42 AM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
http://newdomains.org/timeline

ICANN makes the applications public on April 27,2012.
A lot of familiar names on the roster to speak.
Schumaker from SEDO and also Monte Cahn.

Panel:
New business models and financial considerations
Moderator: Monte Cahn - Right of the Dot

Noticed their evening "event" is going to Oktoberfest.
Guess that is good thing there is no meetings the next day. :p
Old 28th September 2011, 09:42 AM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
People may not buy here but they are buying in other venues such as some of the drop catching services.

For myself, buying on the forum is such an annoying experience I don't even bother to read the sale threads. I have no interest in doing all the work required to complete a transaction here when I can do less work and still find worthwhile material to reg or catch on a drop.

People complain about the low prices here all the time. I have to ask, Why do you bother listing anything if you know you won't get much for it? If you are listing names with such low expectations I have to assume there is something wrong with the names being offered.

Last edited by Clotho; 28th September 2011 at 09:42 AM..
Old 28th September 2011, 10:52 AM

Fair point, though I will say there is 'nothing wrong' with the domains I offer up for sale, and if there is it is soon pointed out by native speakers so I will stand corrected.

What you don't seem to understand is the fleeting opportunity passing you by .....
Old 28th September 2011, 11:44 AM

Explorer is an unknown quantity at this point

Another theory is that prices are low because there are no new buyers. The "old buyers" are sitting on their domains, rightfully thinking that another 1 or 2 great domain adds won't really change much their portfolio.

Last edited by Explorer; 28th September 2011 at 11:45 AM..
Old 28th September 2011, 07:20 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Another theory is that prices are low because there are no new buyers. The "old buyers" are sitting on their domains, rightfully thinking that another 1 or 2 great domain adds won't really change much their portfolio.
I am certain there are new buyers. Just as the traffic increases at a steady pace there must be a certain percentage for whom the light bulb goes off and they say to themselves. I have to get some. They don't speak English however and they likely won't find this site.

As an experiment I searched for 日本語ドメイン販売 (Japanese Domain Sales) at Yahoo.co.jp The top result was for this site: 眼鏡.com (yes an IDN meaning eyeglasses) The site calls itself Trade Domain and it lists several IDN's for sale. The first is 探偵.com (Detective.com) for 500,000 yen. $6529.27 at today's rate.

I would say that the native speakers are catching on and value domains in their language higher than we do. Some people are going to make a nice income buying from English speakers and reselling to the natives.
Old 28th September 2011, 08:08 PM

IdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished roadIdnHost is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
Some people are going to make a nice income buying from English speakers and reselling to the natives.
I completely agree.
Old 28th September 2011, 10:40 PM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
Some people are going to make a nice income buying from English speakers and reselling to the natives.
Yes, that's the whole point.
Old 28th September 2011, 11:26 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
Yes, that's the whole point.
Not the entire point. Some will make businesses out of them. I know I will. Well, as soon as .idn. Oh, and email. Any year now.

Some will never sell and just collect their parking money.

Different strategies for everyone.

Last edited by sarcle; 28th September 2011 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: sepeliling