IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2011, 10:29 PM

jen is an unknown quantity at this point
ws......???

What do you think about idn ws ending ??
Would you buy them ??
Old 1st October 2011, 11:01 PM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to IDNer
Re: ws......???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
What do you think about idn ws ending ??
Would you buy them ??

Only with the great keywords -
Old 1st October 2011, 11:11 PM

htmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished road

No way would I buy any IDNs in .ws, it is an absolutely crappy extension. ASCII .ws domains don't do well so why would IDNs in .ws?
Old 2nd October 2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

When noboody will accept the Dollar for anything else, they may well be worthy of consideration.
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:09 PM

sunsei21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sunsei21 Send a message via Skype™ to sunsei21

they have been bought and dropped ii guess it ma be time for that cycle again :-)
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:01 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

I would urge you to develop a couple and test them out see what you can do with them, especially if you can develop a couple yourself unique content ect. JMO

Last edited by tee1; 2nd October 2011 at 02:03 PM..
Old 2nd October 2011, 02:22 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
I would urge you to develop a couple and test them out see what you can do with them, especially if you can develop a couple yourself unique content ect. JMO
And as Alan said....go for the GREAT keywords. The .ws registry is selling their brand by multi-level marketing so it could be interesting to see how that plays out over the next few years to the masses, not "domainers". Given that .com is pretty much taken, this may be your only affordable alternative if you want Tier 1 name. If you run a list of top terms, ホテル hotel, スポーツ sports, 保険 insurance , お金 money etc you will find that most .ws are taken...many by natives so there is some underlying value which may appreciate over time.

It would be interesting to see how a top keyword in .ws, combined with native language content and links to other native language sites will get you in the google page rank. Worth the try...and might be a good experiment....unless one of the dinosaurs here wants to give you their .com for cheap.

Last edited by bwhhisc; 2nd October 2011 at 02:42 PM..
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:45 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Agree that for extrememly top keywords, they may have some value especially for SEO purposes. In Thailand, a few people had some success using .ws to rank well but they tend not to stick around too long. Most of the keywords used in Thailand with the extension .ws are usually keywords banned by the government so that could also explain their short life span. I don't promote IDN.tv either but in certain cases they are still better than .ws. However, none of these have much chance to go IDN right of the dot.
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:53 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
However, none of these have much chance to go IDN right of the dot.
I think that is the key. The .ws and .tv registries have not (as far as I know) announced any plans to apply for their names in other scripts (in the case of .ws, I'm not even sure what it would be). This is in contrast to .asia, which has discussed doing this. [IDN].ws might be useful for SEO, but it is not something you would want to put in an advertisement.

Avtal
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:14 PM

bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
The .ws and .tv registries have not (as far as I know) announced any plans to apply for their names in other scripts (in the case of .ws, I'm not even sure what it would be). Avtal
Verisign is going to give .com and .net holders the option of having 1, or both (idn.com and/or idn.idn(com).

Just wondering if some/many will choose to keep their brand as idn.com (english .com).

Another reality....places like China and India are going to need a LOT more websites that most countries just based on population parameters alone. Secondary extensions such as .ws for top keywords may provide a good alternative and a niche for specualtors.

If you are willing to risk $ 37.50 to register a TOP .ws for 5 years I don't think you will lose any money and you might even find a few buyers at low to mediium xxx and get a decent ROI. Definately a better return on the cash than I might predict you would do with those same US Dollars stashed away in a cookie jar. :p

Last edited by bwhhisc; 3rd October 2011 at 02:49 AM..
Old 3rd October 2011, 02:40 AM

Wot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enoughWot will become famous soon enough

I have 2:

北京.ws

россия.ws
Old 3rd October 2011, 05:30 AM

IDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enoughIDNer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
I have 2:

北京.ws

россия.ws

Wow ~ great domains

If you like the keywords and make renewal for US$9 per domain a year is not a problem for you, why don't you have some of them.

I used to have hold 200+ .ws IDNs for 2~3 years, but drop 3/5 of them within the past 2 years. (my pocket was not deep enough)

If you are very very smart and don't want to waste any penny on .ws - that's also fine -
Old 3rd October 2011, 05:47 AM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I've also got just 2 .ws IDNs.

недвижимость.ws ( Real Estate - Russian )
ホテル.ws ( Hotels - Japanese )

Old 3rd October 2011, 06:19 AM

Most of the IDNforums 'big IDNs investor' member here got plenty of very nice keyword's great IDNs in hand, most because that they involve IDNs much early than the late comer

I still believe that weak extension but nice-keyword domain name is better than the dot com with 'very weak keyword' domain names - if the new investor do not have enough money to purchase nice IDNs
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:57 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNer View Post
Most of the IDNforums 'big IDNs investor' member here got plenty of very nice keyword's great IDNs in hand, most because that they involve IDNs much early than the late comer

I still believe that weak extension but nice-keyword domain name is better than the dot com with 'very weak keyword' domain names - if the new investor do not have enough money to purchase nice IDNs
I am not sure that anyone not having enough money to meet the paultry prices in the current market can realistically be termed an Investor.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:28 AM

dave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished roaddave_5 is on a distinguished road

I had a few, but dropped all and kept only one.

סקס.ws Hebrew (Sex)

Since there is no change they will be fully IDN, I did see any reason to keep them.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:11 PM

alexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enoughalexd will become famous soon enough

I did something shameful today !!
I registered my third IDN.ws

отели.ws ( which I hope means hotels )

This is definitely one for development, rather than parking.

Now excuse me, as I go and wash myself with bleach to try abd get the .ws stench off me !!

Old 12th October 2011, 02:04 PM

JamesZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNer View Post

I used to have hold 200+ .ws IDNs for 2~3 years, but drop 3/5 of them within the past 2 years. (my pocket was not deep enough)

If you are very very smart and don't want to waste any penny on .ws - that's also fine -
Fact: you have wasted at least $2000 on .ws domains alone. You could buy some very nice .com with that money, even now. Unfortunately, you are still making the same mistake by holding the rest of your .ws.

Fact you have to face: you cannot develop all those domains. Even you choose to develop some of them, "thanks to" the great keywords, they will never rank on page 1 of any search engines. For those keywords, you have to spend millions of dollars to make them rank well. If you have that money, will you use it to develop these domains?

Fact you will face: these premium .ws domains will never earn your registration money back (not counting the time you spend on them!). They will not rank well. No one will type them. If they will not do any good to you, who will buy them? Remember, as a domainer, if no one will buy the domain, you do not buy it, either. Domainer turning developer is a plain tragedy.

Your dreams: no matter what they are, they will turn to those facts one day. Time to wake up!!
Old 12th October 2011, 05:38 PM

mulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enoughmulligan will become famous soon enough

Here's a fact of my own ...

I have one .ws (badly) developed and it pays for itself and then some ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesZ View Post
Fact: you have wasted at least $2000 on .ws domains alone. You could buy some very nice .com with that money, even now. Unfortunately, you are still making the same mistake by holding the rest of your .ws.

Fact you have to face: you cannot develop all those domains. Even you choose to develop some of them, "thanks to" the great keywords, they will never rank on page 1 of any search engines. For those keywords, you have to spend millions of dollars to make them rank well. If you have that money, will you use it to develop these domains?

Fact you will face: these premium .ws domains will never earn your registration money back (not counting the time you spend on them!). They will not rank well. No one will type them. If they will not do any good to you, who will buy them? Remember, as a domainer, if no one will buy the domain, you do not buy it, either. Domainer turning developer is a plain tragedy.

Your dreams: no matter what they are, they will turn to those facts one day. Time to wake up!!
Old 12th October 2011, 06:03 PM

JamesZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Here's a fact of my own ...

I have one .ws (badly) developed and it pays for itself and then some ...
This is exactly how people waste their money. They heard one successful story and thought they could do the same and jumped all in...

Without the exact domain name, the time you have spent on developing it and the money you make from it, your fact is only useful for misleading people.