IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:14 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
November 12, 2012

Is when the results will be posted.

What's one year and 25 days more to wait?
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:40 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Re: November 12, 2012

http://screencast.com/t/JVUKBQMaQ
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:49 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

http://dakar42.icann.org/meetings/da...23oct11-en.pdf
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:07 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

No, unfortunately that is when the propose to issue the results of initial evaluation.
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:13 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

If i understand correctly Nov 12 we will see the results. Anything 'clean' moves on to delegation on December 1?
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:21 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

• For each batch, 54% of the applications will be considered “clean” and not require Extended
Evaluation. 46% of each batch will require the Extended Evaluation/Dispute
Resolution/Community Priority process.
• Of the “clean” applications only 77% will be successfully delegated.

• Successful applicants have up to one year to delegate. To be conservative, we assume an
aggressive approach to proceeding to delegation. “Clean” applicants from Initial Evaluation will
begin pre-delegation checks and contract execution immediately after Initial Evaluation.

ICANN’s intent is to delegate eligible applicants as quickly as possible. Thus, we batch a set of
applications through Initial Evaluation every four months to delegate “clean” applications as so as
possible.

For successful applications in the initial evaluation there remains a set of key tasks that must be
completed prior to delegation.

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-g...25feb10-en.pdf
Old 23rd October 2011, 04:32 PM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

This is so confusing
Old 24th October 2011, 02:19 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Last edited by blastfromthepast; 24th October 2011 at 02:20 AM..
Old 24th October 2011, 06:33 AM
Veteran

Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper View Post
This is so confusing
Things usually are.

Today, Japanese markets have surged with banks particularly strong.

Why? Because there is going to a overriding solution to Europe's problems.

And what is solution? Well, basically it is going to be allow Greece to Default and leave the Banks to pick up the pieces. Bank shareholder equity is going to take a massive hit and many banks are likely to end up being at least partially nationalised. But the Markets think its the bloody 4th of July.

Experts? 10 a Penny!

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 24th October 2011 at 06:34 AM..
Old 25th October 2011, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

First new gTLD's in the root by early 2014 IF we're lucky.

Well done that man.

What a fucking joke.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:39 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

So which is it? Can someone explain what i don't understand? Still looks to me that once the initial evaluation is done anything that is 'clean' of problems/issues is proceeding to delegation? If that's the case delegation can be 1-2-3 months but probably not more which would allow certain strings in the root around Feb 2013?
Old 25th October 2011, 04:43 PM
Veteran

Having re-read this, I agree with 555.

My guess is Verisign will be up and running by 1st January 2013.
Old 25th October 2011, 07:45 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post

What a fucking joke.
Yeah, and it's on us.
Old 25th October 2011, 11:57 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
Having re-read this, I agree with 555.

My guess is Verisign will be up and running by 1st January 2013.
Good to know you see the same RD, if anyone has any theories that explain how it won't be done and in the root in the first quarter of 2013 please share them.

If the IDN version of an existing gTLD and that can only be registered/activated by the same registrant isn't 'clean' then what is?

I am looking forward to May to see the applied for strings are released to public view.

Once that happens, if we only see the existing registries name on a certain application requesting the IDN version of that registries existing gTLD it won't be too hard to guess who will be rewarded that in November.

On the other hand if we see the registries name that have asked and a couple more organization it also isn't to hard to guess who will get it in November.

In the event someone other then the existing registry will apply for an IDN version of an existing gTLD the advice they will likely receive from ICANN is to withdraw the application due to the similarity with the existing gTLD and if i remember correctly they get to save the remainder of the application fee if they pull back the application.

The only way i see anyone going all the way only to lose to the existing registry then it is likely someone who needs an 'insurance policy' maybe to justify a sale of alternate root domains or anything like that.
Old 26th October 2011, 12:20 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

page 23 - Batching

I think batching requires clarification. It's not clear at the moment which applications will be processed first/ put in the first batch.

Several points:
(i) The board wants idn ccTLD and gTLD to be kept together as much as possible. This has been discussed in the latest JIG call. That's a huge + for existing gTLD that will go IDN
(ii)Yet the process of batching has to be "fair" apparently. Some people wanted a draw or random selection. This could be problematic if more than 500 applications opt in for the first batch.
(iii) page 23 of the pdf, last point : "Makes sense: e.g., keep similar and identical strings in same batch"
This statement the way it is written could well be a double edged sword. On the one hand, this principle would ensure that if some .com applications are picked for the first batch, most if not all .coms applications should be processed in the first batch too (my personal guess). On the other hand, if one or a few .com applications are headed for some major litigation, could all the other .com applications be delayed ? I hope not
Old 26th October 2011, 12:21 AM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Otherwise everything points at late 2012 early 2013 for the first gTLD to go live. I've seen the same assessment from several sources. The question is simply which applications will be processed first.

edit : By the way, it may not have been clear but Batching I believe will occur only if more than 500ish* applications are filed. And even if that happens, Batching should not be problematic if less than 500ish applications opt-in for the first batch (assuming Verisign opts in for the first batch too).

*Pritz said that 537 applications would be a one batch round : http://twitter.com/#!/DomainIncite/s...92261307138048

Last edited by squirrel; 26th October 2011 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: mixed up the years
Old 26th October 2011, 12:47 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
(ii)Yet the process of batching has to be "fair" apparently. Some people wanted a draw or random selection. This could be problematic if more than 500 applications opt in for the first batch.
I heard about this in one of the ICANN calls today: http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/neu010203 and the story was told when this subject was discussed and fairly clearly explained there is no way some random draw will be used.
Quote:
(iii) page 23 of the pdf, last point : "Makes sense: e.g., keep similar and identical strings in same batch"
This statement the way it is written could well be a double edged sword. On the one hand, this principle would ensure that if some .com applications are picked for the first batch, most if not all .coms applications should be processed in the first batch too (my personal guess). On the other hand, if one or a few .com applications are headed for some major litigation, could all the other .com applications be delayed ? I hope not
If i understand this point from you correctly then i think that part is more to insure everything does move quickly and without unnecessary delays since if e.g ICANN receives 3 applications for an identical string which happened to be confusing to an existing gTLD then all 3 will be together as otherwise even if one of the 3 'won' it didn't really win until the other 2 are voided so i think that is what they have in mind when referring to 'keep similar and identical strings in same batch"

Quote:
page 23 - Batching

I think batching requires clarification. It's not clear at the moment which applications will be processed first/ put in the first batch.
Quote:
Otherwise everything points at late 2012 early 2013 for the first gTLD to go live. I've seen the same assessment from several sources. The question is simply which applications will be processed first.
From what i saw i also think that for more then a couple reasons if 'batching' will be necessary, IDN's and more specifically and certainly IDN applications of existing gTLDs will be included in the first batch.
Old 26th October 2011, 12:51 AM

Thanks,

Great to hear that random draw won't be used.

I decided not to follow the Dakar meeting closely but it turns out some relevant stuff are being discussed there..
Old 26th October 2011, 12:56 AM
ком.ком コム.コム

Quote:
Thanks,

Great to hear that random draw won't be used.

I decided not to follow the Dakar meeting closely but it turns out some relevant stuff are being discussed there..
I am counting days before ICANN meetings
Old 26th October 2011, 01:06 AM

Hehehe, you need a vacation buddy. As soon as everything is live and aliased book yourself a flight for some place sunny and not too entangled in the financial turmoil

Last edited by squirrel; 26th October 2011 at 01:25 AM..