IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2011, 09:42 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about
Exclusive Q&A with Tina Dam

http://idnblog.com/2011/12/04/exclus...with-tina-dam/

interesting.
Old 4th December 2011, 01:11 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about
Re: Exclusive Q&A with Tina Dam

"Also please also keep in mind that there is no rule that says that if you have “IDN.gTLD”, that you will automatically get “IDN.IDN-version-of-gTLD”. Some Registries have announced this level of grandfathering, which I think is great, but it is not a requirement for them to do so."

Only because many within ICANN, where too busy following their own interests. Avoiding such confusion is one of their main responsibilities!

By contrast profiting from inside connections to hoover dot Music seems to be a done deal.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn she is tone deaf.

Last edited by Rubber Duck; 4th December 2011 at 01:15 PM..
Old 4th December 2011, 03:10 PM

camarro is an unknown quantity at this point

Waste of time
Old 4th December 2011, 07:37 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Duck View Post
By contrast profiting from inside connections to hoover dot Music seems to be a done deal.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to learn she is tone deaf.
Glad I wasn't the first to say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarro
Waste of time
Agreed. There is nothing she can do to help us. Even when she was in a position to do so, she didn't.
Old 4th December 2011, 08:09 PM
Premium User

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

I thought ICANN's very reason for existence was to protect the integrity and functioning of the domain name system and to prevent confusion.
Old 4th December 2011, 08:14 PM

sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent99 View Post
I thought ICANN's very reason for existence was to protect the integrity and functioning of the domain name system and to prevent confusion.
Not according to Antony Van Couvering's last interview. New gTLDs are going to confuse the hell out of people.
Old 4th December 2011, 08:25 PM
Premium User

Kent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enoughKent99 will become famous soon enough

Google just gives me his July 19th interview. Is that the one you are referring to?
Old 4th December 2011, 08:50 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Q: Who at ICANN is tasked with overseeing the new gTLD program, and in turn, the IDN gTLD process?
A: It depends on what level you mean. It is between Kurt Pritz (for implementation) and Akram Atallah (for operations), or if you mean on a more practical level it would be Michael Salazar.
we have concrete names, to start with. writing letters to these guys directly re: fast tracking idngtlds maybe more effective then submitting comments through the website.
Old 4th December 2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Google just gives me his July 19th interview. Is that the one you are referring to?

Quote:
it will no longer be an unquestioned universal. That will happen as soon as one of the new gTLDs is a hit and people begin to wonder “what do I type on the end?” — which I think happen soon after the new gTLD hit the market.
http://idnblog.com/2011/11/21/exclus...van-couvering/

I don't know what that sounds like to anyone else. But that sounds to me that people won't be able to determine what suffix goes with what domain. Thus causing confusion and damage to existing brands. This is the whole reason companies are suing ICANN in the first place. He just spelled it out.

I would assume these companies would be able to use his words from this interview to sue his ass into oblivion if they feel one of his new gTLDs caused damage to their existing brand.

But then that's just the way I see it.

Last edited by sarcle; 4th December 2011 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: add more
Old 4th December 2011, 10:32 PM
Premium User

When answering the question about aliasing he refers to translation difficulties and the problems his clients had with translating their brands into foreign languages. I don't think he is answering the question about whether the owner of idn.com will have rights to idn.idn equivalent in .com. I believe he is saying that Ascii.com will have no rights to idn.com due to translation difficulties/confusion, which we all aready knew.
Old 4th December 2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
When answering the question about aliasing he refers to translation difficulties and the problems his clients had with translating their brands into foreign languages. I don't think he is answering the question about whether the owner of idn.com will have rights to idn.idn equivalent in .com. I believe he is saying that Ascii.com will have no rights to idn.com due to translation difficulties/confusion, which we all aready knew.
Yeah, I don't think he's the brightest bulb in the tool-shed. He's just in a position to take advantage of all the money that will be flowing through new gTLDs. Just like Tina.

All these new gTLD people see are $$$ signs. They could give a rat's ass how it will affect existing companies and brands and the Internet. They talk about how .music won't hurt the marketplace out of one side of their mouth while saying it will with the other.

And all we ever wanted were domains in native languages. What a pity we are stuck with all these clowns.
Old 5th December 2011, 12:43 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Kudos to Aaron for asking the right questions
Old 5th December 2011, 02:24 AM

Nice question TrafficDomainer

http://idnblog.com/2011/12/04/exclus.../#comment-8800

I still don't get .music though. You are creating a need for something out of thin air. I love the quote on music.us promoting .music.

Quote:
Music fans no longer have rely on search engines for their music search.
Um, they don't. They either watch them on Youtube or buy their music on Itunes and Myspace. The rest download them for free.

One of my favorite bands website is www.ToolBand.com. Will I go to Toolband.music now to catch the latest updates? No, I already know their site.

I don't get it. How is it different than .mobi?

Last edited by sarcle; 5th December 2011 at 02:25 AM..
Old 5th December 2011, 03:57 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
Thanks Sarcle. I am looking forward to see what Tina has to say about this. I still don't understand the logic why iGTLDs for existing operators can't be fast-tracked. Bundling them with the new gTLD program just doesn't seem right from the get go.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 5th December 2011 at 03:59 AM..
Old 5th December 2011, 12:53 PM

domainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished road

"And all we ever wanted were domains in native languages. What a pity we are stuck with all these clowns."

Exactly.
Old 5th December 2011, 04:40 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
we have concrete names, to start with. writing letters to these guys directly re: fast tracking idngtlds maybe more effective then submitting comments through the website.
Been there, done that. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that they don't care.
Old 5th December 2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficDomainer View Post
Been there, done that. Unfortunately, the bottom line is that they don't care.
You know I've also thought that maybe, just maybe, they are holding IDN gTLDs hostage. Has anyone else sensed this?

Once Congress gets involved, which they are, and Big Business really starts their threats of lawsuits. They can use IDN as the reason they need to go ahead complete the New gTLD program. That maybe they don't want them separated for this reason?

But Icann isn't just about the money, are they? Hm....
Old 5th December 2011, 09:15 PM

sbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enoughsbe18 will become famous soon enough

IDN's are not one bet.

Each language and cctld competitor is a gamehouse.

russia and PRC particularly.

it is back to sleep until 2013....

shit.

s/
Old 5th December 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcle View Post
You know I've also thought that maybe, just maybe, they are holding IDN gTLDs hostage. Has anyone else sensed this?

Once Congress gets involved, which they are, and Big Business really starts their threats of lawsuits. They can use IDN as the reason they need to go ahead complete the New gTLD program. That maybe they don't want them separated for this reason?

But Icann isn't just about the money, are they? Hm....
I have a similar feeling about the possibility of ICANN holding IDN gTLDs hostage. Additionally, sometimes I wonder also if (just a suspicion) there were backroom deals made with the goal of giving primarily .ru,.cn and other IDN ccTLDs headstarts . What a better way to fulfill this intention by bundling the IDN gTLD program with the "New gTLD" program knowing very well that there will be objections for ".anything" from various industry stakeholders. End result, keep dragging the IDN gTLD program as long as they could.

Arguably, the world at large (with more non English speakers than English speakers) could benefit significanly (economically and socially)from fast tracking IDN gTLDs for existing correponding gTLDs which people need much more than the introduction of ASCII.anything. But instead of serving the world community what it needs, ICANN bundles this with the controversial .anything New gTLD program.

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 5th December 2011 at 11:09 PM..
Old 6th December 2011, 12:47 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

You should write again TD, this time asking that igTLDs of existing ASCII gTLDs be processed in the first batch (in the event of batching). I'm going to write a onepager myself. I just don't know who I'll address it to yet.