IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,353
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1266
htmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished road
Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

For Japanese IDNs, which would you say is better to reg, a .com or .jp, or both?

Interested in hearing what people here say.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,699
iTrader: (50)
Rep Power: 1248
gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

When it comes to two objective measures, number of registrations or scarcity, and traffic/income, .com is clearly superior.
__________________
-----
Offers by e-mail, PM or forum post valid for 5 days
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 11:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 266
iTrader: (10)
Rep Power: 485
Sunny is an unknown quantity at this pointSunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammascalper View Post
When it comes to two objective measures, number of registrations or scarcity, and traffic/income, .com is clearly superior.
The problem is that none of these is really important for a japanese domain name.
We don't collect IDNs in order to park them, but in order to sell them to natives.
The fact that currently .coms bring more type-ins due to .com autocompletion etc. in some browsers is really not very significant.
The fact that there are more japanese IDN .com registrations than .jp may be simply because it is easier for foreigners to register .com than .jp, so the domaining market is larger for .coms. And again these are domainers' expectations, which are biased towards .com because of its success in non-idn market. These don't actually say anything about what end users will prefer. In fact, the inverse is actually more likely: imagine a person that wants to buy IDN name. He checks it in .com, it is taken. He checks it in .jp and it is free. He is more likely to register it is .jp than to go and pay domainers for their .coms.

What really matters is: would Japanese natives prefer .com or .jp IDN for their website? There is no clear answer to this question as of yet.

But .jp has some advantages: Suppose that you type ここ.com in firefox, what you will see in address bar is http://xn--28ja.com/. But if you type ここ.jp, you will see ここ.jp. The reason is that generally speaking allowing non-punycode URL bar representation of domains in .com is unsafe, because language of the domain is not immediately obvious(for example "a.com" - is it english "a" or russian "a"?). But in .jp we know that it can only be japanese language, so there is much less risk. Actually with respect to just japanese language there doesn't seem to be obvious security problems, but nevertheless it is evident that mozilla has not been willing to differentiate between russian and japanese in this context.

Then there are also some SEO benefits: TLD is most important factor for determining to which country the website is catered(source - Matt Cutts): http://www.google.com/buzz/109412257...-to-webmasters
So one may expect that .jp sites will rank higher in Japan.

Another thing is, which I think is very important, is the fact that there is an organization that will seriously promote .jp IDNs in Japan, which is Japanese registry. But there is no such organization for .com IDNs specific to japan.
Japanese registry will only promote buying 日本語.jp because they don't make any money off 日本語.com.

Another factor is that foreigners ownership ratio in japanese IDN .com's is higher than in .jp(my guess, I didn't actually check this one), so we will see more .jp developed sites, than .com sites.

Also I think that rules governing .jp domains ownership will be more suited for Japan as they are developed by Japanese for Japanese.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 12:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 383
iTrader: (12)
Rep Power: 1114
welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

According to Alexa, there's a roughly even distribution of .jp and .com among top sites...there's probably a good chance it will remain that way. .coms sell at a much higher price to other domainers (for the already-mentioned reasons) which could just mean .jps are great opportunity (if you aren't concerned with parking revenue).
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 02:21 PM
Ryu's Avatar
Ryu Ryu is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,158
iTrader: (14)
Rep Power: 979
Ryu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished roadRyu is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Very good summary, Sun.

Most Japanese don't really care if their IDN has .com or .jp in the end. If I ask the question, it is most likely they would ask me back: "I don't know. Which one is better?" So, just like you pointed out, they usually pick whichever that is available to reg.

The following is a Japanese IDN I saw in Kichijoji the other day. In this case, the IDN is .jp. It's used for redirecting. (http://いえらぶ.jp/)

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 02:46 PM
idn's Avatar
idn idn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Global Headquarters of the Dot Net Skepticism Alliance
Posts: 3,156
iTrader: (38)
Rep Power: 1243
idn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished roadidn is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

A question since the beginning of this forum.

From a resell standpoint, I think they will both have value and there may never be a clear winner.

That said, dot coms are the clear winners now for parking revenue, but that could change.

I also think the Japanese Registry might have reserved a little too many keywords for the .jp to ever completely overtake the dot com.

A sophisticated investor diversifies.
__________________
NativeDomains.com
XBuild.com
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 02:49 PM
Semi-retired
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,531
iTrader: (57)
Rep Power: 3442
alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlindex View Post
For Japanese IDNs, which would you say is better to reg, a .com or .jp, or both?

Interested in hearing what people here say.
If you can afford it, then get both, as no one knows how this will play out.
If you're determined to reg these domains, then as already mentioned your quality will be better in .jp due to the fewer domains registered today.

But the aftermarket is super cheap right now, so my advice would be don't reg, buy and buy both.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 02:57 PM
bumblebee man's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (16)
Rep Power: 2876
bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

This might also depend on which registry gets a Japanese IDN.IDN first.

For some reason I haven't heared anything about dot日本 for a while.
__________________
These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others. - Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 04:10 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,864
iTrader: (60)
Rep Power: 2202
bwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enoughbwhhisc will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Both will be used and hopefully find an enduser market.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 05:00 PM
sarcle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,717
iTrader: (22)
Rep Power: 1729
sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhhisc View Post
Both will be used and hopefully find an enduser market.
Agreed. Google any good keywordinjapanese.com or keywordinjapanese.jp and you'll find a ton of sites using both for SEO in their header.
__________________
I can hear the death rattle of fiat from here...
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 5th December 2011, 05:41 PM
sarcle's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,717
iTrader: (22)
Rep Power: 1729
sarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enoughsarcle will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Another thing is, which I think is very important, is the fact that there is an organization that will seriously promote .jp IDNs in Japan, which is Japanese registry. But there is no such organization for .com IDNs specific to japan.
Japanese registry will only promote buying 日本語.jp because they don't make any money off 日本語.com.
I believe this is what has actually helped keep Japanese domains down and why JPRS is so slow to get to their .IDN.

JPRS shot their wad way too early. They were promoting IDN.jp long before browser adoption for IDN was widespread. Thus half the people going to IDN.jp were having their browser not resolve.

This has since been corrected. But it left a bad taste in people's mouths. The whole 価格.com (kakaku.com) variant issue isn't helping the confusion either.

Quote:
Another factor is that foreigners ownership ratio in japanese IDN .com's is higher than in .jp(my guess, I didn't actually check this one), so we will see more .jp developed sites, than .com sites.
This is actually quite contestable. I've seen just as many Japanese natives owning .biz as .net .com or .jp.

There's enough room for everyone, personally.

As Alpha stated. Get both. At this point we really don't know.
__________________
I can hear the death rattle of fiat from here...
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 6th December 2011, 08:12 AM
monkmonkey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Where bananas are plentiful
Posts: 707
iTrader: (11)
Rep Power: 547
monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Why are cctld so expensive?
__________________
"Lots of men have tried to run roughshod over me you can visit them in the cemetery!"- JR Ewing
"Revenge is the single most satisfying feeling in the world!"- JR Ewing
"A conscience is like a boat or a car. If you feel you need one, rent it."- JR Ewing
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 6th December 2011, 09:42 AM
Semi-retired
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,531
iTrader: (57)
Rep Power: 3442
alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkmonkey View Post
Why are cctld so expensive?
Are they? idn.jp are pretty much the same price as idn.com ($10)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 6th December 2011, 09:52 AM
Jay's Avatar
Jay Jay is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Where angels fear to tread
Posts: 1,303
iTrader: (23)
Rep Power: 1697
Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
idn.jp are pretty much the same price as idn.com ($10)
Which registrar?
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 6th December 2011, 10:13 AM
bumblebee man's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,620
iTrader: (16)
Rep Power: 2876
bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Are they? idn.jp are pretty much the same price as idn.com ($10)
Is this for first year registrations or for renewals as well?
__________________
These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others. - Groucho Marx
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 6th December 2011, 10:58 AM
Semi-retired
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blighty
Posts: 5,531
iTrader: (57)
Rep Power: 3442
alpha has disabled reputation
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee man View Post
Is this for first year registrations or for renewals as well?
Its a documented fact that there's a pile of Japan based registrars that offer idn.jp for around the $10 mark

If you have a sizeable portfolio and are blessed with negotiation skills, then maybe you can secure discounted prices at other registrars.
If you don't ask, you don't get.

But whatever price you are paying, don't assume that $99 a year that those thieving rip-off registrars charge, are "normal" prices, because they are not.

Bottom line, idn.jp are as affordable as .com if you know where to shop.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 6th December 2011, 08:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 209
iTrader: (8)
Rep Power: 994
o.c. will become famous soon enougho.c. will become famous soon enougho.c. will become famous soon enougho.c. will become famous soon enougho.c. will become famous soon enougho.c. will become famous soon enougho.c. will become famous soon enough
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

I would attach a graph from Gary's blog showing total amount of .coms and.jps registered in Japan are almost the same (.com is slightly higher) but my forum quota for image attachment has always been around 0 KB for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 7th December 2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,353
iTrader: (29)
Rep Power: 1266
htmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished roadhtmlindex is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Are they? idn.jp are pretty much the same price as idn.com ($10)
Where can we reg IDN.jp for $10? I usually reg mine @ JP Domains & last time I think it was about $20 to reg & $15 to renew, if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 7th December 2011, 07:49 PM
monkmonkey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Where bananas are plentiful
Posts: 707
iTrader: (11)
Rep Power: 547
monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Can japanese cities register .co.jp?
__________________
"Lots of men have tried to run roughshod over me you can visit them in the cemetery!"- JR Ewing
"Revenge is the single most satisfying feeling in the world!"- JR Ewing
"A conscience is like a boat or a car. If you feel you need one, rent it."- JR Ewing
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 8th December 2011, 07:25 AM
monkmonkey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Where bananas are plentiful
Posts: 707
iTrader: (11)
Rep Power: 547
monkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished roadmonkmonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: Japanese IDNs - .com or .jp, which better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlindex View Post
Where can we reg IDN.jp for $10? I usually reg mine @ JP Domains & last time I think it was about $20 to reg & $15 to renew, if I remember correctly.
I would like to know this as well.
__________________
"Lots of men have tried to run roughshod over me you can visit them in the cemetery!"- JR Ewing
"Revenge is the single most satisfying feeling in the world!"- JR Ewing
"A conscience is like a boat or a car. If you feel you need one, rent it."- JR Ewing
"I love it when a plan comes together"John "Hannibal" Smith
"The only person who could take down J.R was J.R." -John Ross

"Larry Hagman is now God"- Me
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:09 PM.

Site Sponsors
Your ad here
buy t-shirt
מחיר הזהב

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0
Copyright idnforums.com 2005

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54