IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > Politics, Philosophy and Economics

Politics, Philosophy and Economics Discuss world events, politics, philosophy and economics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th December 2011, 01:22 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough
Senators Press ICANN on Generic Top-Level Domains

Senators Press ICANN on Generic Top-Level Domains

Venture capitalist Esther Dyson, ICANN’s original chair, said, “Generic TLDs create opportunities for entrepreneurs but not for the economy. It’s a big waste.” For example, she said, “Either Marriott.com and Marriott.hotel are the same, in which case they’re redundant. Or they’re different, in which case it’s confusing — without adding any extra value, because there’s only one Marriott.”

Also from the article:
He added that, in two previous times that ICANN had added gTLDs, it limited the type and number, but found that the expected benefits hadn't been realized.

It didn't work the first time so we will just do more of it?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. -Albert Einstein

Things are making more sense now. Clearly ICANN is insane.

The only part of the gTLD program that ever made any sense was existing gTLD's in IDN.
Old 9th December 2011, 05:10 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: Senators Press ICANN on Generic Top-Level Domains

US not going to block new gTLDs

http://domainincite.com/us-says-it-w...-gtld-program/
Old 9th December 2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Honestly, I think they've all left it too late. The world is rapidly going to hell in a handbasket. Two reasons - Huge tracts of Japan will need to be evacuated because the world is FINALLY finding out just how bad Fukushima is, and even without that, there will be economic collapse and ensuing global war before IDN gTLD's get to launch.

Other than that, everything is just peachy.
Old 10th December 2011, 01:02 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Huge tracts of Japan will need to be evacuated because the world is FINALLY finding out just how bad Fukushima is, and even without that, there will be economic collapse and ensuing global war before IDN gTLD's get to launch.
drama queen
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10th December 2011, 01:13 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Honestly, I think they've all left it too late. The world is rapidly going to hell in a handbasket.
Well, if that's the kind of stuff you like to read about...

From UBS, via the Financial Times, discussing the possible break-up of the Euro zone:

Simply put, linear thinking doesn’t work in a non-linear world. And break-up is likely to produce a very non-linear set of outcomes.

Which brings me, lastly, to the question I sometimes get about what is the ‘right’ asset allocation in the event of break-up.

I suppose there might be some assets worthy of consideration—precious metals, for example. But other metals would make wise investments, too. Among them tinned goods and small calibre weapons.

Avtal
Old 10th December 2011, 01:21 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Honestly, I think they've all left it too late. The world is rapidly going to hell in a handbasket. Two reasons - Huge tracts of Japan will need to be evacuated because the world is FINALLY finding out just how bad Fukushima is, and even without that, there will be economic collapse and ensuing global war before IDN gTLD's get to launch.

Other than that, everything is just peachy.
I think 2012 will be a very interesting year with China rising economically and militarily. Already as we know it China has now claimed indisputable right over all of South China Sea in the interest of oil and gas and perhaps more there. If what happened to Tibet is any indication of what is to come, I think China will be ruthless in its pursuit to dominate the world when it is ready, which I think will be soon.

Against the background of this power shift, the US will not give in to the Chinese easily. The Japanese, having the US military base will support all it can in the event of China's agression. While the US has tried to support India militarily to balance the Chinese, it is still no match for the well organized and well equipped Chinese force. Meanwhile, the Southeast Asian nations around China sea (Vietnam, the Philippines , Taiwan, Malaysia and etc) will need US assistance to claim what they believe to be theirs and the US will demand a big piece of the pie to to help them defend against the mighty Chinese. US's recent move to open the door to Burma after decades is no coincidence with that country facing the prospect of becoming a new Chinese province. Similarly the recent military/navy co-operation with Australia confirms the US's fear of China's rise. Lots of resources,wealth and power are at stake.

Meanwhile it will be hard for the crumbling Europe to get its act together with most nations having been living beyond their means for years. I sure hope there won't be a world war and think in the end stakeholders just have to come up with a formula on how to share the wealth and resources. As for IDN gTLDs possibly being launched in early 2013, I think the new non IDN gTLDs will find it more challenging to succeed than IDN.IDNs of existing gTLDs as there is quite a pent up demand from non-English speakers. Barring acute world conflicts/economic collapse, Asian as well as Russian IDNs should do very well as these countries become more powerful economically. Just some random thoughts.

Cheers!

Last edited by TrafficDomainer; 10th December 2011 at 02:02 AM..