IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > New gTLDs

New gTLDs IDN or ascii, use this forum to discuss the new gTLDs

View Poll Results: Will the new gTLD process begin as scheduled on January 12, 2012
Yes 11 55.00%
No 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2011, 01:32 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

555 has disabled reputation
Chance of new gTLD delay “above zero”. What do you think?

ICANN has not completely ruled out the possibility that its new generic top-level domains program will be delayed, according to senior vice president Kurt Pritz.

Pritz was asked during a meeting of the GNSO Council last week whether the recent Congressional hearings into new gTLDs could lead to a delay of the January 12 launch.

“I think the risk is above zero,” Pritz said.

http://domainincite.com/chance-of-ne...ay-above-zero/
Old 20th December 2011, 02:18 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Re: Chance of new gTLD delay “above zero”. What do you think?

The full answer from Kurt Pritz:

Stéphane Van Gelder: Do you feel that there's any risk that the program will be delayed?
Kurt Pritz: Well I think the risk is above zero. I think that, well I know that the Department of Commerce has made, after the Senate hearing made a very, very strong public statement that the reputation of the multi stakeholder model is wrapped up in this too.
And to take all the work that's been done over the years, the very careful work and unravel it with a delay at this point would not only dis-serve the new gTLD program. And all the people that worked on it, but would also dis-serve the multi stakeholder model and so that the Department of Commerce will not do.
So after the close of the Senate hearing the Department of Commerce came out publicly and said they were not going to delay the process.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:08 AM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

two congressmen ask for delay in new tld's

http://domainnamewire.com/2011/12/20...y-to-new-tlds/
Old 22nd December 2011, 05:18 AM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

I doubt the US gov't will delay the new gTLD program; the Congressmen probably know that too, but are asking anyway in order to please the people who fund their election campaigns.

The main risk at this point is that one of the brand/advertising/trademark groups asks a US court to halt the process, and that the US court agrees.

Avtal
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Well, a further delay might be a good excuse to split off the new IDNgtld's into separate program.
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:00 PM

Clotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enoughClotho will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
Well, a further delay might be a good excuse to split off the new IDNgtld's into separate program.
They asked for a 'small pilot project' What better than something non-contentious like IDNgtld's?
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:06 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura aboutRubber Duck has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clotho View Post
They asked for a 'small pilot project' What better than something non-contentious like IDNgtld's?
Yeah, what better to bring the MacArthurists into the open?
Old 31st December 2011, 07:00 PM

tee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enoughtee1 will become famous soon enough

ICANN Chair: We will not delay or restrict new gTLD program
http://www.circleid.com/posts/icann_..._gtld_program/

more here
http://news.dot-nxt.com/2011/12/30/i...o-gtld-program

Last edited by tee1; 31st December 2011 at 07:00 PM..
Old 31st December 2011, 08:03 PM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the update Tee. Good to hear that they are sticking to their guns.
Old 31st December 2011, 09:40 PM

domainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished road

I got worried when these $#$%@'rs bundled the IDNgtld's with all the .whatevercrap. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the idngtld ball again. Isn't it curious that some of the people working for Iccan't are now working for consulting companies pushing the English .whatevercrap................
I feel bad for those of you that have waited 5-10years for the real internet to open up. Time will tell.....
Time for an "Internet Spring"?
Old 31st December 2011, 09:46 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

Happy new year everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domainsell View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the idngtld ball again.
Any remote scenario on how this is possible?

Quote:
I feel bad for those of you that have waited 5-10years for the real internet to open up. Time will tell.....
I feel bad for those that chose to not wait this period of time and nothing they can now do that will bring back the same size opportunity that it was 10-5 years ago.

As for time will tell, i am not sure what it is it needs to tell that wasn't told by now. I found IDN's exist 6 years ago in less then a month from now and there were no bad news at any point since (There were plenty of delays that's for sure), only progress and less uncertainty on various aspects e.g demand, browser support etc.

At this point i think it's safe to assume and at least from my personal experience i came across more then one who admitted to not making the right choice 'back then', some already understand where this is going and that it was a mistake to wait for 'real' idn but it is in they're interest to leave the 'market' where it currently is which is pretty much nowhere.

Last edited by 555; 31st December 2011 at 09:51 PM..
Old 31st December 2011, 09:58 PM

domainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished roaddomainsell is on a distinguished road

"nothing they can now do that will bring back the same size opportunity that it was 10-5 years ago."

There are still huge opportunities in the idn market as this industry is about as "virgin" as it gets. While it would have been great to pick up names 5-10 years ago there are still great names available at very reasonable prices in the aftermarket right now.
You can still even get decent deals on good regular English .com's if you look hard enough. imho.

Happy New Year to all!
Old 31st December 2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Old 31st December 2011, 10:06 PM
ком.ком コム.コム

This is the Champagne for idn.idn day: The Heidsieck Monopole Champagne 1907 can be purchased at The Ritz-Carlton, Moscow at the price of 880,000 RUB (approx. 35,000 USD) per bottle.

http://corporate.ritzcarlton.com/en/...ckMonopole.htm

Quote:
There are still huge opportunities in the idn market as this industry is about as "virgin" as it gets.
Absolutely still enormous opportunity today. Interesting why very few see it.

Last edited by 555; 31st December 2011 at 10:08 PM..
Old 1st January 2012, 01:17 AM

TrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished roadTrafficDomainer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
Absolutely still enormous opportunity today. Interesting why very few see it.
Thanks for your insight 555, it's good to see that a few of us haven't given up on IDNs. I think quite a few see the opportunities ahead but many are disenchanted by the wait and the constant delay for idn.idn gTLDs. Eventhough now it is right around the corner many are bruised and felt misled by ICANN. 5-10 years is a long time to invest money for many of us with negligible returns but I do agree and I am cautiously optimistic that those with patience will be handsomely rewarded.

Happy New Year to all!
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:36 AM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

http://twitter.com/#!/RodBeckstrom/s...56034499178497
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:43 AM

Jay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enoughJay will become famous soon enough

I think the risk is about zero really. ICANN were never going to bow to the US Senate call for a delay, even if the Senate had made any good points (which they didn't). ICANN need to convey the sense of international impartiality and consensual decision making or it will spell the end of ICANN. That's not to say that there may not be some slight delays for other reasons, but I expect it is all engines go for IDN gtlds.

Having got into this game quite late, I often wonder what it would have been like to have found out about IDNs in 2005 like some here. Then again, I bet some of them wish they were Laura Snow in 2000/2001. I guess it's all relative.

It's tough to put together a reasonable portfolio now without spending some dough, but not impossible. Still opportunities for sure. I too wonder why there are 7700+ members here (apparently) but only a few actively purchasing in the auctions (and many of those are ones who've been here from the early days of the forum!).

It will be a lost opportunity if the spectators don't get themselves into gear in 2012, because in 2013 you will either be riding the wave or watching it go by.

Last edited by Jay; 2nd January 2012 at 07:02 AM..
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:29 PM

Avtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the roughAvtal is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think the risk is about zero really. ICANN were never going to bow to the US Senate call for a delay, even if the Senate had made any good points (which they didn't).
As I learned as a child, back in the days when the US still had a functioning education system, the US government has three branches: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial.

The trademark interests tried and failed to convince the Executive branch and the Legislative branch to stop the new gTLD program. But they haven't tried the Judicial branch yet.

So I predict the trademark interests will file a lawsuit in whatever federal court has jurisdiction over ICANN's California headquarters, to try once again to stop the program. The uncertain part is whether the court will agree to stop the program immediately, or will allow the new gTLD program to proceed while waiting for the case to come to trial.

Avtal
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:59 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
As I learned as a child, back in the days when the US still had a functioning education system, the US government has three branches: Executive, Legislative, and Judicial.

The trademark interests tried and failed to convince the Executive branch and the Legislative branch to stop the new gTLD program. But they haven't tried the Judicial branch yet.

So I predict the trademark interests will file a lawsuit in whatever federal court has jurisdiction over ICANN's California headquarters, to try once again to stop the program. The uncertain part is whether the court will agree to stop the program immediately, or will allow the new gTLD program to proceed while waiting for the case to come to trial.

Avtal
i hope not, but i have to agree that your prediction is highly likely. to much money involved not to have a lawsuit filed.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

And the senate may not be too happy about being ignored and might start looking into ICANN's "non profit" status in California and the salary levels of it's upper tier staff.