IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Discussions > General Discussion

General Discussion Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th December 2011, 05:16 PM

chrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished roadchrisofmel is on a distinguished road
idntalk.com good read

idntalk blog is written by Olney former owner and founder of this forum. most member's here read this blog. i wanted to bring awareness of his blog for new members and nonmembers who might just lurk here. even though he owns a nice portfolio of japanese idn's, i think he take a honest look and is somewhat conservative in his assessment of the present and future state of idn value's, traffic growth, technology roadblock's, hurdle's ect. i think he sets aside the hype and takes a measured approach when sharing his opinion's and expectations.
Old 28th December 2011, 05:25 PM

squirrel is a name known to all
squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all
Re: idntalk.com good read

+1
Old 28th December 2011, 06:23 PM
Semi-retired

alpha has disabled reputation

Craig is a member here (under a new login) - he really should come out and say hi; I won't out him, but I do encourage him to show his face.

As for his blog... he makes 2 observations/comments:

1) Japanese traffic and the increase in traffic is coming from browser re-directs thanks to Safari & iphone

2) New Extensions (and I assume he means .com-in-IDN) will do nothing to increase traffic (and assumed therefore the value)

#1 doesn't surprise me
#2 does surprise me

thoughts?
Old 28th December 2011, 06:44 PM

squirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to allsquirrel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
Craig is a member here (under a new login) - he really should come out and say hi; I won't out him, but I do encourage him to show his face.

As for his blog... he makes 2 observations/comments:

1) Japanese traffic and the increase in traffic is coming from browser re-directs thanks to Safari & iphone

2) New Extensions (and I assume he means .com-in-IDN) will do nothing to increase traffic (and assumed therefore the value)

#1 doesn't surprise me
#2 does surprise me

thoughts?
1) agree, no suprise there

2) I think it depends. Generally speaking I believe, unlike Craig, that yes people do type-in (and no, it has nothing to do with being tech savvy or not). It may not be the case in Japan where people have had very little exposure to domains and their full use, but I believe that it will change over time.

However, I believe the traffic increase or lack thereof will depend on the domain. It's a case by case thing and I'd also venture to say that some domains that get good traffic now may not see any material increase in the future whereas domains will little or even no traffic may well see huge increases over time.

Last edited by squirrel; 28th December 2011 at 06:44 PM..
Old 28th December 2011, 06:58 PM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
1) agree, no suprise there

2) I think it depends. Generally speaking I believe, unlike Craig, that yes people do type-in (and no, it has nothing to do with being tech savvy or not). It may not be the case in Japan where people have had very little exposure to domains and their full use, but I believe that it will change over time.

However, I believe the traffic increase or lack thereof will depend on the domain. It's a case by case thing and I'd also venture to say that some domains that get good traffic now may not see any material increase in the future whereas domains will little or even no traffic may well see huge increases over time.
so you also believe that .com-in-IDN will bring no traffic increase. ok.
so what are you "waiting for" then? if you are also waiting for .com-in-IDN, what will it bring then?
Old 28th December 2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
so what are you "waiting for" then? if you are also waiting for .com-in-IDN, what will it bring then?
Sorry, it may not have been clear but I believe that yes .com-in-IDN will bring traffic increase. I think that fully internationalized domains will make it much more compelling for people to use domains, incl typing them in.
Old 28th December 2011, 07:06 PM

However, I also believe that some domains are inherently not well suited for type-in but may get traffic now from Iphone/safari (which is mostly if not all unintentional traffic - I think we agree on that). For example the disease and ailments domains we briefly discussed a while back. I think some of them will not see increased traffic after full internationalization. The long, obscure, ones especially. If I were to guess, I'd say that these domains would keep getting "unintentional" type-in but no more.
Old 28th December 2011, 08:14 PM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

whats the % of browser type-ins vs search engines? I remember seeing an article which stated it was about 5% globally, can anyone verify?
Old 28th December 2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
whats the % of browser type-ins vs search engines? I remember seeing an article which stated it was about 5% globally, can anyone verify?
not sure why it matters DK, a large part of type-ins is traffic to existing websites, such as returning visitors to this very forum, and bookmarks.
Old 28th December 2011, 10:33 PM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

Much depends on whether you are talking parking or mini sites.

Craig and I ended up with diametrically opposed views on just about everything.

No change there.
Old 29th December 2011, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
In Russia, it will. Big time.

In Japan, maybe not so much.

Japan will be a generational change, I believe.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:02 AM
Semi-retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert View Post
In Russia, it will. Big time.

In Japan, maybe not so much.

Japan will be a generational change, I believe.
What's your rationale?
Old 29th December 2011, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

More evidence of Russians already trying to access their translation of existing .com websites.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:23 AM

DktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura aboutDktoInc has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
not sure why it matters DK, a large part of type-ins is traffic to existing websites, such as returning visitors to this very forum, and bookmarks.
Well it is country specific, but if you know what the type in % vs search engine search in that country is and the data of what % of users goes to what tld (country specific), you can more or less estimate what the "True direct typein traffic will be", the one that will give you CTR on your parking portfolio (depending on customization), which is what really matters here anyways if you are not developing and just parking.
Old 29th December 2011, 01:35 AM
Veteran

gammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished roadgammascalper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DktoInc View Post
Well it is country specific, but if you know what the type in % vs search engine search in that country is and the data of what % of users goes to what tld (country specific), you can more or less estimate what the "True direct typein traffic will be", the one that will give you CTR on your parking portfolio (depending on customization), which is what really matters here anyways if you are not developing and just parking.
Quote:
Agree, definitely country specific - Also, wrt Japan, Japanese had been using cellphones to surf for many years prior to introduction of iPhone and Android. Probably due to the long subway commutes.

Last edited by gammascalper; 29th December 2011 at 01:37 AM..
Old 29th December 2011, 02:10 AM

seesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enoughseesawgame will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to seesawgame Send a message via Yahoo to seesawgame

Nice blog
Old 29th December 2011, 08:20 AM
Veteran

Location: Czech Republic (For those of you from USA = Chechnya)
Rubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enoughRubber Duck will become famous soon enough

IDN will either be adopted as the new standard or it won't.

This will be done more or less on a country by country basis.

To coin a Czech phrase, the Japanese are 100 years behind the Apes.
Old 4th January 2012, 02:52 AM

welkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enoughwelkin will become famous soon enough

My Chinese names are getting more traffic than they ever have before. Maybe in a year they will be paying for themselves. I imagine people with good names are already seeing it, even with 6-cent clicks.

Has anyone happened to have confirmed his claim that 99% of IDN type-in traffic comes from Safari?