IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names  
Home | idntools | Advertise on idnforums | Premium Membership

Go Back   IDN Forums - Internationalized Domain Names > IDN Development > IDN Domain Registration

IDN Domain Registration Discussion for registering IDN domain names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2012, 04:53 PM

Avtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura about
Dynadot API available to all customers

While browsing the Dynadot forum, I discovered this thread: lower-api-usage-cost-requirement-6822.html which contains the following announcement (dated January 10) from Dynadot:

The API is now available to all customers regardless of pricing level.
You still, however, will need to pre-fund your account before you can make purchases.

Until now, you had to be a Bulk customer ($500 per year).

One reply on the thread:

The API is now available to all customers regardless of pricing level?!
Great, I will now create 5.000 Dynadot accounts and turn the API useless for everyone.

Judging by the API's performance this weekend, that is already happening.

Avtal
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:25 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to IDNCowboy
Re: Dynadot API available to all customers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
While browsing the Dynadot forum, I discovered this thread: lower-api-usage-cost-requirement-6822.html which contains the following announcement (dated January 10) from Dynadot:

The API is now available to all customers regardless of pricing level.
You still, however, will need to pre-fund your account before you can make purchases.

Until now, you had to be a Bulk customer ($500 per year).

One reply on the thread:

Great, I will now create 5.000 Dynadot accounts and turn the API useless for everyone.

Avtal
Ya that comment was from Jose lol
Old 22nd January 2012, 05:28 PM

IDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enoughIDNCowboy will become famous soon enough

I sent a letter to Dynadot claiming that it's BS
Old 22nd January 2012, 06:16 PM

tee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished roadtee1 is on a distinguished road

The API is already useless, they want you to backorder so they can make more via private auctions than a simple catch
I haven't been able to beat their backorder system via the api but snap still kicks their backorder a$$

http://www.dynadot.com/marketplace/p...ete/?idns=only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avtal View Post
One reply on the thread:

Avtal

Last edited by tee1; 22nd January 2012 at 06:17 PM..
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:49 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

They definitely want to kill the API advantage to catch names. They want people to use their backorder system! "Why in hell are we letting those drop catchers make money from auctioning the domains they catch using our API? Let's do the auctions ourselves!"

They say the API still can beat the backorder system. I doubt that.

However, I do still prefer the API because:
- It is cheaper (you pay your regular domain reg)
- Backorders are public!!! (f* our users, goal is profit, profit!)
- You can delete

In the end, its all about having a detailed drop list! Last week, for instance, I got Taxi and Carpet using the API and sold both here @BIN.

When they launched the backorder system I thought my days of drop caching using the API were over. However and to my surprise the number of catches I lost to the backorder system is very, very low. Either I can beat the backorder system or, a more realistic option, people are not doing their research as they should...

I do however and more than ever, lose a lot of names to Snap.

Last edited by jose; 23rd January 2012 at 02:50 AM..
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post
I do however and more than ever, lose a lot of names to Snap.
What names have you won that snapnames didn't get? I doubt you beat snap on a name with 2+ bids sorry.

Remember if you're one of the ones hammering the API with multiple accounts(as you mentioned on the DD forum) don't be surprised if they start limiting it again. Be careful. I don't think they meant you could start having 100 upstreams and start having your at home snapnames business.

Last edited by IDNCowboy; 23rd January 2012 at 02:54 AM..
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:56 AM
Veteran

jose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nicejose is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDNCowboy View Post
What names have you won that snapnames didn't get? I doubt you beat snap on a name with 2+ bids sorry.

Remember if you're one of the ones hammering the API with multiple accounts(as you mentioned on the DD forum) don't be surprised if they start limiting it again. Be careful.
I didn't say I beat Snap. No one can beat Snap.

I have an account for me, one for my mother, my girlfriend, my gramma, etc and all that people allow me to manage their accounts. What's wrong it that?
Old 23rd January 2012, 02:58 AM

Quote:

I have an account for me, one for my mother, my girlfriend, my gramma, etc and all that people allow me to manage their accounts. What's wrong it that?
your quote on DD
"Great, I will now create 5.000 Dynadot accounts and turn the API useless for everyone."

I'm just pissed cause the API was at a crawl today and I couldn't even get in. Seems that many people are now taking advantage. I think they should raise it back up to $500 to get rid of the nonplayers.
Old 23rd January 2012, 03:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
your quote on DD
"Great, I will now create 5.000 Dynadot accounts and turn the API useless for everyone."

I'm just pissed cause the API was at a crawl today and I couldn't even get in. Seems that many people are now taking advantage. I think they should raise it back up to $500 to get rid of the nonplayers.
That was my point when I posted that. But I think they don't give a s*. They want profit, profit! When you open new blank accounts you pay $9.99 for each name and not bulk price, got it?

The API was already giving invalid requests 75% of the time, during drop catch hours. I think that number will raise now and people will finally give up on the API. I think that's their hidden agenda.
Old 23rd January 2012, 03:19 AM

Nah Dynadot owns other registrars and I think they'll be expanding their API base soon across them all. The API was working for me til today.. arghh
Old 23rd January 2012, 03:37 AM
Veteran

I monitor every idn drop catch and from the 12 drop catches today I can tell you that

7 went to Dynadot
2 to Snapnames
1 to MEGAZONE CORP. DBA HOSTING.KR
1 to EPAG DOMAINSERVICES GMBH
1 to Godaddy

sähkötarvike.net and 白页.com were the Snap ones. I got the one I was after using the API.
Old 23rd January 2012, 03:43 AM

I'm shocked any were gotten by dynadot today.. It was super laggy
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:06 AM

bumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura aboutbumblebee man has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
The API is already useless, they want you to backorder so they can make more via private auctions than a simple catch
I haven't been able to beat their backorder system via the api but snap still kicks their backorder a$$
Well, it's pretty obvious.

Hand regging < API drop catching < Dynadot backorder < Snapnames

It all depends on how urgently you need that name ... and what you are willing to pay for it.
Old 23rd January 2012, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Drewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgyDrewbert is a tad dodgy

Quote:
It is statistically possible to beat Snap, but not statistically probable.

Remind me, who was desperately pleading with Snap to start chasing IDN's in the old days?

Hmmmmm?
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:07 PM
Veteran

I was? Really? Seriously, why would I do that? Honestly can't remember, point me to the thread where I said that
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:48 PM

Perhaps if we had remained hush hush snapnames wouldn't have gone after IDN's :P

Namejet etc still don't seem to
Old 24th January 2012, 03:03 AM
Veteran

blastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enoughblastfromthepast will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I was? Really? Seriously, why would I do that?
I remember you advocating a more open market or whatever.

Dear Customer,

We hereby confirm that the following domains have been successfully
renewed for you:

------------------------------------------------------------------
sh: 1: /usr/bin/idn: not found
------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 24th January 2012, 04:05 AM

Avtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura aboutAvtal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I'm shocked any were gotten by dynadot today.. It was super laggy
The API is more responsive this evening than it was on the weekend. But I haven't tested it at drop time.

Avtal
Old 24th January 2012, 08:51 PM

dynadot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

Just want to clarify a few things about the availability of our API. The API has been released to all regardless of their spending level. However, the API capability is now based on spending. For example, an account that spends $1 will get one connection and an account that spends $3,000 will get 3,000 connections and so on. Accounts with no spending will not be able to connect to the API. So the tactic of creating multiple empty accounts will not be effective.

Over the past week/weekend we were migrating our API to a new server. This may have caused a slowdown in your API connections. The migration is now complete and the API should be back up to speed if not faster.

I hope that helps to clarify things! Let us know if you have any additional questions.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Thanks God you recognized and closed that loophole. However the explanation doesn't clear anything.

I spend $3000 and get 3000 connections". Seems clear but it isn't.

What does it means "3000 spent", $3000 spent over a year time, as you use to select the type of accounts?

What does it means "3000 connections"? 3000 simultaneous connections? I doubt that. 3000 connections/hour?

So clearly your goal is to move everyone back to the superbulk accounts, right? Why? I mean, you will lose money on that. Are you counting on compensating that with the extra number of people using the API?